netflix :/

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Movies

Post by wang_chi7 »

jackal wrote:Full Metal Jacket is an awesome war movie

I rented three movies this week.

Freedom Writers I really liked this move

Pursuit Of Happiness Good movie Will Smith did
a great job

Smokin' Aces good movie , but really graphic violence
sorta of sin city Kill Bill type movie..
I loved Pursuit, Smith and his boy did an amazing job in that movie. Its very inspiring. It even made me cry which is very, very rare.

I hated Smoking Aces. That kind of movie is usually my favorite, but it just was poorly done. Its a second rate Snatch IMO. I just never was able to get into the flick thus it turned into a bunch of shooting with no substance. Ryan Reynolds isn't much of an actor neither.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

I hated Smoking Aces. That kind of movie is usually my favorite, but it just was poorly done. Its a second rate Snatch IMO. I just never was able to get into the flick thus it turned into a bunch of shooting with no substance. Ryan Reynolds isn't much of an actor neither.
I have to opposite opinion. I didnt care much for Snatch, it should have had subtitles so i could understand Pitt.

I kinda liked Smokin Aces. It wont make my top 50 movies of all time but it was a decent action flick.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Mothman wrote: I had the opposite reaction. Platoon was good but it felt much more contrived to me.
Good call. I thought both movies were really funny.
I'm not familiar with that one. I'll have to look into it...

Jim
I agree with Jim completely on the Full Metal Jacket vs Platoon assesment.

I loved 40 Year Old Virgin and have never heard of the Grave of the Fireflys....
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

VikingMachine wrote: I have to opposite opinion. I didnt care much for Snatch, it should have had subtitles so i could understand Pitt.

I kinda liked Smokin Aces. It wont make my top 50 movies of all time but it was a decent action flick.
Snatch is definitely overrated, but still pretty good. The many angles fit together well. Smoking Aces I felt was just an empty action flick, little substance. It felt like a poor attempt at a Robert Rodriguez movie.

Anyways here's a list of some of my favorites in no particular order:

Jackie Brown
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Clerks 1&2
Chasing Amy
Jaws
Godfather series
Scarface
Forrest Gump
Eternal Sunshine
Dumb and Dumber
Airplane
Sin City
Desperado
Good, Bad, Ugly
Vertigo
Psycho
The Shining
Big Trouble in Little China (favorite bad movie, and namesake of my handle comes from Burton's sidekick)
Escape from NY
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Ace Ventura
American History X
Back to the Future (probably my favorite all time)
The Birds
Collateral
Last Samarai
Con Air
Die Hard Trilogy
Fight Club
Glengary Glen Ross
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Million Dollar Baby
Mallrats
Man on the Moon
Taxi Driver
Rambo I
Rocky
The Sandlot
Toy Story
Scent of a Woman
Silence of the Lambs
Smokey and the Bandit
Spaceballs
Terminator Trilogy (esp. 2)
Twister (guilty pleasure)
Wizard of Oz
Blazing Saddles

OK, I started with a few and got to 50. I didn't mean to get that long, but oh well!
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

wanted to give you guys an update. i watched a few movies. i watched the queen. i didn't really like it, but i didn't expect to. I rented miller's crossing from the recos here. it was good. the one i really wanted to tell people about is called "blood for oil". now wait, before you start claiming politics it doesn't even mention Bush W or Clinton in the movie so put down your guns. it's an AWESOME documentary that focuses on about 1900-1930. it basically talks about how the middle east got to where it is today based on what happened then. it is so interesting. its kind of like a history class in a movie, so if that doesn't sound good to you... don't get it. anyway, just wanted to share because i thought it was so good.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

mefford76 wrote:wanted to give you guys an update. i watched a few movies. i watched the queen. i didn't really like it, but i didn't expect to. I rented miller's crossing from the recos here. it was good. the one i really wanted to tell people about is called "blood for oil". now wait, before you start claiming politics it doesn't even mention Bush W or Clinton in the movie so put down your guns. it's an AWESOME documentary that focuses on about 1900-1930. it basically talks about how the middle east got to where it is today based on what happened then. it is so interesting. its kind of like a history class in a movie, so if that doesn't sound good to you... don't get it. anyway, just wanted to share because i thought it was so good.
Cool, I will have to add that to my queue.

BGM
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Mr. X »

Two Recommends:

Following
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/
I just saw this on Sundance a few weeks ago. Thought it was very good. It's the debut film from Chris Nolan who directed Memento in 2000 (which was an awesome film). You can see some similarities in style between the two.

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0776794/
It is a documentary that I cannot recommend enough. I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject of Hubbard's Theory of Peak Oil and this film does an absolutely great job of framing the debate on the looming oil crisis. It has some great archival footage in it and the people interviewed in the film are (for the most part) very well regarded experts from academia to the oil industry. It is nothing short of amazing (and scary at the same time).
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

Mr. X wrote:Two Recommends:

Following
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/
I just saw this on Sundance a few weeks ago. Thought it was very good. It's the debut film from Chris Nolan who directed Memento in 2000 (which was an awesome film). You can see some similarities in style between the two.

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0776794/
It is a documentary that I cannot recommend enough. I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject of Hubbard's Theory of Peak Oil and this film does an absolutely great job of framing the debate on the looming oil crisis. It has some great archival footage in it and the people interviewed in the film are (for the most part) very well regarded experts from academia to the oil industry. It is nothing short of amazing (and scary at the same time).
i added following. that movie looks awesome. hopefully its closer to memento then insomnia. as for crude awakening...I am a little more nervous that I will like. Some of those movies are done well and some are not I feel like. Netflix doesn't think I will like it. Now that doesn't always mean anything. I am going to add it anyway though.

I have watched 3 of the episodes from "The Nazis: A Warning from History" and this one is great as well. Anyone have any documentaries about anything before WWII (I've heard too much about it) that they recommend? I don't like the history channel. They seem to focus on weapons and shock value. Really I am just into learning about the history of things. I saw another documentary which was only ok which was about Napolean. They had some recreations in it...another thing I don't like.

As a side note, any netflix subscribers should try the "Watch Now" feature. I just discovered it. They don't have that many movies that you can watch, but you can just watch a little of one and watch another if you don't like it. I am in love with it. My computer is hooked up to my TV so that helps.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

Yep, watched team america on "watch now"...what a great flippin movie.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

just watched "following" really good movie (per Xs recommendation). another great movie i saw recently was called conversations with other women if anyone is interested.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

a reco for anyone who's interested...

"primer"...still trying to understand what happened. gotta watch it again.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

TrenchGoon wrote:Grindhouse(Tarantino needs some rehab, he has lost it)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just finally saw Death Proof. It didn't come to theaters in my area :x.

I gotta say I loved it, it was great. You gotta be a fan of B-movies and chase movies to enjoy it though. I'm also a big Kurt Russell fan. The last 25 minutes were one of the best chase scenes in some memory. Unless you like 1970's cinema, you probably wouldn't like it.

It was over the top (it was meant to be.) It definitely wasn't for all, but none of his films are.

Did you like Kill Bill? Or Jackie Brown?

Personally I love his homage movies (well I guess they all are but those 3 especially are.)

I can't wait to see Planet Terror now! Comes out next month.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

i added planet terror to my queue. thanks for reminding me. my friend says thats the better of the 2.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

mefford76 wrote:i added planet terror to my queue. thanks for reminding me. my friend says thats the better of the 2.
I hadn't heard much about it, but Rodriguez always does good work. And I love his other zombie movie (From Dusk Til Dawn.) Plus it has Bruce Willis.

The trailer on the Death Proof DVD makes it look like its too much over the top (even for my taste), but it is a trailer so they pack the biggest parts in. The TV spots I saw when it came out in theaters made it look good though.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Interesting that they put out Death Proof first, as it was the second one in the theater. I enjoyed both.