Tour de France

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

DeeEss57 wrote:

What's the difference between Lemond being behind by 58 seconds and making a move to win by :08 in 1989 and now?

The last stage was a race against the clock that year ....
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

Mr. X wrote: Another American is going to win the Tour. I can just imagine all the groaning in France over the sight of another American on the victory stand in Paris. Wonder how long before the French press will accuse Landis of using EPO with a new masking agent that is unknown to the world?
People really like Landis in France, and a few years ago, Greg Lemond was more popular than French riders ......

Maybe, despite what he wants everybody to believe, the reason why people don't like Armstrong isn't the simple fact that he is American ......
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Maybe, despite what he wants everybody to believe, the reason why people don't like Armstrong isn't the simple fact that he is American ......
But because he's an arrogant cheater!
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Demi wrote: But because he's an arrogant cheater!
:roll:
Whatever...
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Sorry, he's a completely natural HERO would single handedly defeated the cancer monster and never said he took anything in the hospital, and the urine was spiked by the evil french to set him up, as well as friends / acquiantences being busted for steroids. All coincidence.

Some of us don't care enough about it to wear rose colored "Armstrong is american hero" glasses....if he was black and pushing for a record in an american sport everyone here would be all over him, hell, if he was pushing for a record he'd already be guilty. Instead he's off beating the french in bicycle racing and the american media acts like there is no way he can be guilty of anything.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Demi wrote:Sorry, he's a completely natural HERO would single handedly defeated the cancer monster and never said he took anything in the hospital, and the urine was spiked by the evil french to set him up, as well as friends / acquiantences being busted for steroids. All coincidence.

Some of us don't care enough about it to wear rose colored "Armstrong is american hero" glasses....if he was black and pushing for a record in an american sport everyone here would be all over him, hell, if he was pushing for a record he'd already be guilty. Instead he's off beating the french in bicycle racing and the american media acts like there is no way he can be guilty of anything.
:roll: :roll:
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

DeeEss57 wrote:
What's the difference between Lemond being behind by 58 seconds and making a move to win by :08 in 1989 and now?
That stage was an individual time trial. It would be very hard for a rider to lose the peloton in a normal stage.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Demi wrote:Sorry, he's a completely natural HERO would single handedly defeated the cancer monster and never said he took anything in the hospital, and the urine was spiked by the evil french to set him up, as well as friends / acquiantences being busted for steroids. All coincidence.
So he is guilty by association? Armstrong rode against Tyler Hamilton, Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso, and Marco Pantani, and they all have been caught doping or breaking rules. Armstrong was not - even though Armstrong has been one of the most tested bike riders in the sport over the last half decade.

He defeated cancer, but that nothing to do with it other than it pushed Armstrong to battle to win. He did have EPO type drugs when in recovery, but those did nothing to change his VO2 max levels later on.

Greg LeMond had to recover from a gunshot wound, and he had extreme VO2 max scores, so does that make him a cheater too?

Floyd Landis has had to have holes drilled in his hip to get blood into hit dying bone. Maybe that gave him some sort of advantage.
Some of us don't care enough about it to wear rose colored "Armstrong is american hero" glasses....
That makes many assumptions.
if he was black and pushing for a record in an american sport everyone here would be all over him,
That is insulting. What does skin color have to do with it? Bonds was not being tested for these substances at the time like Armstrong was over the past five years.

Mark McGuire is not black, and his previous numbers are at risk and may be tainted.

Barry Bonds is black; so what? He is linked to a know steroids provider, and he says he did not know what was in what he was taking. Bonds is trying to break a record by Hank Aaron, and as I recall Hank Aaron was black as well, so who would care if a black man broke the record of another black man?

The single season home run record is a black man breaking the record of a white man, but both Mark Mcguire and Sammy Sosa both have question marks about their numbers as well. Again, who cares about the skin color. Most of us here could care less.
hell, if he was pushing for a record he'd already be guilty. Instead he's off beating the french in bicycle racing and the american media acts like there is no way he can be guilty of anything.
There is a way he could be guilty, but it is unlikely given the weak evidence so far - certainly in the last four years of his tour wins with the emphasis on testing the top riders.

Anyone who is into bicycling knows what kind of training Lance Armstrong had done. In fact, he set the bar for individual and team training. His team was set up to back him in the Tour de France above all else. Unlike some other top riders, he also trained on the Tour de France route instead of doing the Giro de Italia.

In tests, Lance Armstrong's VO2 max was 84 ml/kg/min. The only riders that I know of off hand being tested higher were five time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain at 88 and three time Tour winner Greg Lemond at 92.5. The legendary high altitude distance runner Mike Capenter has been tested with a VO2 max of 92 as well.

Minniman
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Guess Landis' win wasn't that amazing after all. :(
Mike

Sackmeifyoucan
Veteran

Post by Sackmeifyoucan »

Kansas Viking wrote:Guess Landis' win wasn't that amazing after all. :(
O no.

You know, I love watching the Tour...but even with all of the allegations...it makes it less fun.

And now this:

sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2006/news/story?id=2531225

If this turns out to be valid, America will look very bad.
Please let this be wrong...

Sackman
Ronder
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Ronder »

Say it ant so Floyd!

"Landis tested positive for testosterone"
:shock:

Damn, I hope it's not true. I Love the Tour ever since Lamond won it.

I really enjoy watching it on TV (on certain days) Mountians and 'move days'.

Say it ant so Floyd!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

*gasp* Color me shocked. I am soo surprised that this would even come up. Why is this even an issue.

*gasp* *gasp* *gasp*

:soap
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

The most horrifying thing about this is that Demi might actually be right for once! :shock:
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

*gasp* Color me shocked. I am soo surprised that this would even come up. Why is this even an issue.
It is an issue. Three of the top riders from the 1995 Tour de France did not even start the 1996 race because of blood doping. Players have been banned before, and random testing is done on every stage of every race.

Floyd Landis may have tested positive for high testosterone. The test is used because testosterone can screen steroids. It is strange that he would have only tested positive on one day of the race though, because I am not sure if that would have done him much good. Steroids help in muscle recovery, but not in one day.
The most horrifying thing about this is that Demi might actually be right for once!
What does this have to do with Lance Armstrong? Lance had not tested positive. He wasn't even in this race.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Minniman wrote: What does this have to do with Lance Armstrong? Lance had not tested positive. He wasn't even in this race.
I have actually heard some media talking heads say that this proves that Lance Armstrong was doping. Huh??? What a bunch of idiots.

BGM
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa