View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:39 pm



Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Tour de France 
Author Message
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post Tour de France
If I have been away from this board as of late, it is because it is Tour time.

2 1/2 weeks in, and there is no clear winner. This is a great tour!

One more day in the Alps, a flat stage on Friday, and a time trial on Saturday will give the yellow jersey to a rider that has never won it before.

Floyd Landis cracked on the Alps today. It is likely over for him and his yellow jersey challenge.

Minniman

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:53 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Posts: 4113
Location: 46° N 96° W
Post Re: Tour de France
Minniman wrote:
Floyd Landis cracked on the Alps today. It is likely over for him and his yellow jersey challenge.Minniman


I was disappointed to hear that Landis dropped back in the climb stages in the Alps. The mountain climbing is where Armstrong would pull away and increase is lead.

Landis is going to have hip replacement surgery after the Tour. He has the same ailment as Bo Jackson had. It's really quite amazing that he was able to compete as well as he has with that type of ailment.


Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:03 am
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post 
Much better race when steroid users either retire, or get kicked out huh?


Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:54 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Posts: 4113
Location: 46° N 96° W
Post Whoa --- Landis making a comeback
Don't count out Floyd Landis just yet. He made a huge move today winning the final Alpine stage and is now just 30 seconds back from the leader. He went from 11th to 3rd. Things are definitely getting interesting in this year's Tour.


Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:48 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post Re: Whoa --- Landis making a comeback
Mr. X wrote:
Don't count out Floyd Landis just yet. He made a huge move today winning the final Alpine stage and is now just 30 seconds back from the leader. He went from 11th to 3rd. Things are definitely getting interesting in this year's Tour.


What Floyd Landis did today was a big time event in the history of the Tour de France! I had to get up pretty early to watch it live, but it was worth it. This is a great race!

Carlos Sastre move himself up to just 11 seconds down as well.

If the flat stage on Friday and the time trial on Saturday do not prove definitive, the race into Paris may actually be a big stage with the yellow jersey at stake.

Minniman

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:54 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:45 pm
Posts: 1281
Location: Zenith City of the Inland Seas
Post Re: Whoa --- Landis making a comeback
Minniman wrote:
What Floyd Landis did today was a big time event in the history of the Tour de France! I had to get up pretty early to watch it live, but it was worth it. This is a great race!


I haven't watched any of it, but I've made sure to check for the results on ESPN News every day. Good for Landis and I hope he wins (of course).


Dawn
Don't make me get the flying monkeys.


Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:05 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post Re: Whoa --- Landis making a comeback
DeeEss57 wrote:
Minniman wrote:
What Floyd Landis did today was a big time event in the history of the Tour de France! I had to get up pretty early to watch it live, but it was worth it. This is a great race!


I haven't watched any of it, but I've made sure to check for the results on ESPN News every day. Good for Landis and I hope he wins (of course).


If anyone has OLN (Outdoor Life Network), the prime time coverage tonight (7-10pm Central) will be worth watching.

Even if you missed the rest, this day was really cool.

Minniman

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:58 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 7:02 pm
Posts: 5304
Post Re: Whoa --- Landis making a comeback
Minniman wrote:
Mr. X wrote:
Don't count out Floyd Landis just yet. He made a huge move today winning the final Alpine stage and is now just 30 seconds back from the leader. He went from 11th to 3rd. Things are definitely getting interesting in this year's Tour.


What Floyd Landis did today was a big time event in the history of the Tour de France! I had to get up pretty early to watch it live, but it was worth it. This is a great race!

Carlos Sastre move himself up to just 11 seconds down as well.

If the flat stage on Friday and the time trial on Saturday do not prove definitive, the race into Paris may actually be a big stage with the yellow jersey at stake.

Minniman


I thought there was an unwritten rule that the bikers don't really race to Paris -- they glide in, holding their position. Does that not apply when the race is close, as this one might be?


Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:09 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11414
Location: California
Post I know
I know cycling takes amazing endurance and involves
considerable teamwork. I am just not into that much. That
was a major wreck that took out those two guys last week
though. The one guy flipped over the gurad rail. I am sorry they got hurt.
but it was amazing piece of film.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:51 am
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:17 am
Posts: 278
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Post Re: I know
jackal wrote:
I know cycling takes amazing endurance and involves
considerable teamwork. .


I ride the MS 150 from Duluth to White Bear every year.
This is a MEASLY LITTLE 150 mile ride...
and without enough training...I'm half dead.

It is truly amazing to me what these riders go through...with or without roids.

I have been doing it for so many years, I learned to pick a decent speed and stick with it as opposed to starting at it flying as fast as you can...or even a little more fast than you should be going...and then...running out of gas before getting to the finish line.
It's a really hard thing to judge.

It literally took me years to figure out my ideal speed.

Those people are endurance GODS!!!


Sackman
NFC NORTH

_________________
Image
Image


Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:27 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
Quote:
I thought there was an unwritten rule that the bikers don't really race to Paris -- they glide in, holding their position. Does that not apply when the race is close, as this one might be?


Usually, the last stage is flat and not relatively long, so it would be very difficult to gain time on the race leader on that stage. If the points competition for the sprinter's green jersey is close, then there is quite a bit of action up front, but otherwise it is rather tame.

If the race is close, within a minute, then all bets are off. In 1989, the final ride into Paris was a time trial, and Greg Lemond finish just 8 seconds inside the the time of Laurent Fignot after starting the day 58 second back. It was the closest Tour de France ever and the last time a time trial was scheduled on the final day.

The top three riders are within 30 seconds of each other going into today's time trial (set to begin in 45 minutes from now). If two or three riders end up that close at the end of the day, then the race to Paris on Sunday may have some action on the road.

Minniman

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:41 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
Floyd Landis has done it!

Oscar Pereiro could not hold on!

The difference is 59 seconds. There is almost no way that any rider would try to do an attack with that time. There are unwritten rules, and no one is close enough to allow the teams to consider this.

Minniman

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:21 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:45 pm
Posts: 1281
Location: Zenith City of the Inland Seas
Post 
Minniman wrote:
The difference is 59 seconds. There is almost no way that any rider would try to do an attack with that time. There are unwritten rules, and no one is close enough to allow the teams to consider this.



What's the difference between Lemond being behind by 58 seconds and making a move to win by :08 in 1989 and now?




Dawn
Don't make me get the flying monkeys.


Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:44 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Posts: 4113
Location: 46° N 96° W
Post 
Minniman wrote:
Floyd Landis has done it!
Oscar Pereiro could not hold on!
The difference is 59 seconds. There is almost no way that any rider would try to do an attack with that time. There are unwritten rules, and no one is close enough to allow the teams to consider this.
Minniman


What a tremendous comeback by Landis. One for the ages.

Another American is going to win the Tour. I can just imagine all the groaning in France over the sight of another American on the victory stand in Paris. Wonder how long before the French press will accuse Landis of using EPO with a new masking agent that is unknown to the world?

I also wonder if Floyd is going to go forward with his planned hip replacement surgery. Remember, Landis' hip is so bad that he walks with a limp and he cannot even get on his bike from the left side.


Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:18 pm
Profile
Starship Commander
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:08 am
Posts: 11253
Location: Cestus III
Post 
Mr. X wrote:
What a tremendous comeback by Landis. One for the ages.


I agree. That is a tremendous feat for a perfectly healthy athlete, let alone a guy with mush for a hip joint. I ride my bike 12 miles round trip to work as many days a week as I can. I have the utmost respect for anyone with the ability to ride 3K miles in the mountains of France. Especially someone with an injury. What a great win.

_________________
Mike

Image


Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:21 am
Posts: 164
Post 
DeeEss57 wrote:
Minniman wrote:
The difference is 59 seconds. There is almost no way that any rider would try to do an attack with that time. There are unwritten rules, and no one is close enough to allow the teams to consider this.



What's the difference between Lemond being behind by 58 seconds and making a move to win by :08 in 1989 and now?

The last stage was a race against the clock that year ....


Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:52 am
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:21 am
Posts: 164
Post 
Mr. X wrote:
Another American is going to win the Tour. I can just imagine all the groaning in France over the sight of another American on the victory stand in Paris. Wonder how long before the French press will accuse Landis of using EPO with a new masking agent that is unknown to the world?


People really like Landis in France, and a few years ago, Greg Lemond was more popular than French riders ......

Maybe, despite what he wants everybody to believe, the reason why people don't like Armstrong isn't the simple fact that he is American ......


Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:01 am
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post 
Quote:
Maybe, despite what he wants everybody to believe, the reason why people don't like Armstrong isn't the simple fact that he is American ......


But because he's an arrogant cheater!


Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:12 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:12 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: Park Rapids, MN
Post 
Demi wrote:
Quote:
Maybe, despite what he wants everybody to believe, the reason why people don't like Armstrong isn't the simple fact that he is American ......


But because he's an arrogant cheater!
:roll:
Whatever...


Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:51 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post 
Sorry, he's a completely natural HERO would single handedly defeated the cancer monster and never said he took anything in the hospital, and the urine was spiked by the evil french to set him up, as well as friends / acquiantences being busted for steroids. All coincidence.

Some of us don't care enough about it to wear rose colored "Armstrong is american hero" glasses....if he was black and pushing for a record in an american sport everyone here would be all over him, hell, if he was pushing for a record he'd already be guilty. Instead he's off beating the french in bicycle racing and the american media acts like there is no way he can be guilty of anything.


Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:09 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:12 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: Park Rapids, MN
Post 
Demi wrote:
Sorry, he's a completely natural HERO would single handedly defeated the cancer monster and never said he took anything in the hospital, and the urine was spiked by the evil french to set him up, as well as friends / acquiantences being busted for steroids. All coincidence.

Some of us don't care enough about it to wear rose colored "Armstrong is american hero" glasses....if he was black and pushing for a record in an american sport everyone here would be all over him, hell, if he was pushing for a record he'd already be guilty. Instead he's off beating the french in bicycle racing and the american media acts like there is no way he can be guilty of anything.


:roll: :roll:


Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:18 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
DeeEss57 wrote:
Minniman wrote:
The difference is 59 seconds. There is almost no way that any rider would try to do an attack with that time. There are unwritten rules, and no one is close enough to allow the teams to consider this.



What's the difference between Lemond being behind by 58 seconds and making a move to win by :08 in 1989 and now?


That stage was an individual time trial. It would be very hard for a rider to lose the peloton in a normal stage.

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:32 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
Demi wrote:
Sorry, he's a completely natural HERO would single handedly defeated the cancer monster and never said he took anything in the hospital, and the urine was spiked by the evil french to set him up, as well as friends / acquiantences being busted for steroids. All coincidence.


So he is guilty by association? Armstrong rode against Tyler Hamilton, Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso, and Marco Pantani, and they all have been caught doping or breaking rules. Armstrong was not - even though Armstrong has been one of the most tested bike riders in the sport over the last half decade.

He defeated cancer, but that nothing to do with it other than it pushed Armstrong to battle to win. He did have EPO type drugs when in recovery, but those did nothing to change his VO2 max levels later on.

Greg LeMond had to recover from a gunshot wound, and he had extreme VO2 max scores, so does that make him a cheater too?

Floyd Landis has had to have holes drilled in his hip to get blood into hit dying bone. Maybe that gave him some sort of advantage.

Quote:
Some of us don't care enough about it to wear rose colored "Armstrong is american hero" glasses....


That makes many assumptions.

Quote:
if he was black and pushing for a record in an american sport everyone here would be all over him,


That is insulting. What does skin color have to do with it? Bonds was not being tested for these substances at the time like Armstrong was over the past five years.

Mark McGuire is not black, and his previous numbers are at risk and may be tainted.

Barry Bonds is black; so what? He is linked to a know steroids provider, and he says he did not know what was in what he was taking. Bonds is trying to break a record by Hank Aaron, and as I recall Hank Aaron was black as well, so who would care if a black man broke the record of another black man?

The single season home run record is a black man breaking the record of a white man, but both Mark Mcguire and Sammy Sosa both have question marks about their numbers as well. Again, who cares about the skin color. Most of us here could care less.

Quote:
hell, if he was pushing for a record he'd already be guilty. Instead he's off beating the french in bicycle racing and the american media acts like there is no way he can be guilty of anything.


There is a way he could be guilty, but it is unlikely given the weak evidence so far - certainly in the last four years of his tour wins with the emphasis on testing the top riders.

Anyone who is into bicycling knows what kind of training Lance Armstrong had done. In fact, he set the bar for individual and team training. His team was set up to back him in the Tour de France above all else. Unlike some other top riders, he also trained on the Tour de France route instead of doing the Giro de Italia.

In tests, Lance Armstrong's VO2 max was 84 ml/kg/min. The only riders that I know of off hand being tested higher were five time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain at 88 and three time Tour winner Greg Lemond at 92.5. The legendary high altitude distance runner Mike Capenter has been tested with a VO2 max of 92 as well.

Minniman

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:41 pm
Profile
Starship Commander
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:08 am
Posts: 11253
Location: Cestus III
Post 
Guess Landis' win wasn't that amazing after all. :(

_________________
Mike

Image


Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:17 am
Posts: 278
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Post 
Kansas Viking wrote:
Guess Landis' win wasn't that amazing after all. :(


O no.

You know, I love watching the Tour...but even with all of the allegations...it makes it less fun.

And now this:

sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2006/news/story?id=2531225

If this turns out to be valid, America will look very bad.
Please let this be wrong...


Sackman

_________________
Image
Image


Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:50 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:23 pm
Posts: 632
Location: Western WI & Metro Area
Post 
Say it ant so Floyd!


"Landis tested positive for testosterone"
:shock:

Damn, I hope it's not true. I Love the Tour ever since Lamond won it.

I really enjoy watching it on TV (on certain days) Mountians and 'move days'.

Say it ant so Floyd!


Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:25 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post 
*gasp* Color me shocked. I am soo surprised that this would even come up. Why is this even an issue.

*gasp* *gasp* *gasp*

:soap


Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:12 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: Park Rapids, MN
Post 
The most horrifying thing about this is that Demi might actually be right for once! :shock:


Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:10 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
Quote:
*gasp* Color me shocked. I am soo surprised that this would even come up. Why is this even an issue.


It is an issue. Three of the top riders from the 1995 Tour de France did not even start the 1996 race because of blood doping. Players have been banned before, and random testing is done on every stage of every race.

Floyd Landis may have tested positive for high testosterone. The test is used because testosterone can screen steroids. It is strange that he would have only tested positive on one day of the race though, because I am not sure if that would have done him much good. Steroids help in muscle recovery, but not in one day.

Quote:
The most horrifying thing about this is that Demi might actually be right for once!


What does this have to do with Lance Armstrong? Lance had not tested positive. He wasn't even in this race.

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 5948
Post 
Minniman wrote:

Quote:
The most horrifying thing about this is that Demi might actually be right for once!


What does this have to do with Lance Armstrong? Lance had not tested positive. He wasn't even in this race.


I have actually heard some media talking heads say that this proves that Lance Armstrong was doping. Huh??? What a bunch of idiots.

BGM

_________________
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa


Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:53 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.