Multiple (Repeated) Posts

Announcements, suggestions, comments, or problems with Vikingsmessageboard.com

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Multiple (Repeated) Posts

Post by Funkytown »

Sometimes when I post with my phone, I'll look back and it'll post 2 or 3 times. I know for a fact I only submitted it once, but somehow it ends up showing 2 or 3 of the same post. Sometimes I can go in and delete it--and sometimes I can't.

Why is it doing this?

And why isn't the delete option always available?

...annoying. :D

Thanks!
glg
Site Admin

Re: Multiple (Repeated) Posts

Post by glg »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Sometimes when I post with my phone, I'll look back and it'll post 2 or 3 times. I know for a fact I only submitted it once, but somehow it ends up showing 2 or 3 of the same post. Sometimes I can go in and delete it--and sometimes I can't.

Why is it doing this?

And why isn't the delete option always available?

...annoying. :D

Thanks!
It only lets you delete if nobody else has responded (ie only the last post in the thread can be deleted). I think the idea is that if somebody else has responded, then you're not allowed to remove your post, only an admin can.

Not sure why it's double-posting. when that happens are you getting an error that makes you think it didn't post so you retry?
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Why wouldn't you be able to delete your post at any time? Seems odd, but I guess I understand.

As far as any error messages or anything--nope, nothing. I'll submit my post and then look at the thread again and it'll be there anywhere from 1-3 times. It seems to only do it when I post with my phone, too. I don't believe I've ever had that problem when posting on my laptop. I can't be for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's a phone issue.

I have no clue why it does it. It doesn't do it every time, just sometimes. Don't ask me! It's just weird!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Why wouldn't you be able to delete your post at any time? Seems odd, but I guess I understand.
I don't know the answer to this for sure but I would bet it has to do with user rights. If someone else posts something inside of your post, you are no longer just deleting your post if you remove it ... you're deleting someone else's as well.
As far as any error messages or anything--nope, nothing. I'll submit my post and then look at the thread again and it'll be there anywhere from 1-3 times. It seems to only do it when I post with my phone, too. I don't believe I've ever had that problem when posting on my laptop. I can't be for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's a phone issue.

I have no clue why it does it. It doesn't do it every time, just sometimes. Don't ask me! It's just weird!
This is another guess but I would say your phone is losing it's connecting mid-post. So the message board software see's the original request and makes your post but your phone doesn't see the web request complete and assumes it needs to try again.

That's my best speculation :)
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Cliff wrote: I don't know the answer to this for sure but I would bet it has to do with user rights. If someone else posts something inside of your post, you are no longer just deleting your post if you remove it ... you're deleting someone else's as well.
This is another guess but I would say your phone is losing it's connecting mid-post. So the message board software see's the original request and makes your post but your phone doesn't see the web request complete and assumes it needs to try again.

That's my best speculation :)
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I understand the user rights things; however I wouldn't be able to delete someone else's post. I can only delete my own. Well, sometimes not even then. lol. Like this, if I submitted this and wanted to delete it later...sure, I deleted your "quoted" stuff too, but it's still on the site because I can't touch your post/reply. It's not like I'm trying to delete someone else's stuff. Just my own. And like I said, sometimes I can delete and sometimes I can't. Maybe I should reply to someone and try to delete it quick. I bet it'd let me--if no one else has replied since then. There goes part of the user rights theory. :D Either way, I'll live! I suppose I can put my big girl pants on and deal with it. I just thought it was a little odd that it does that sometimes. Interesting theory about my phone losing connection mid-post. That could be true. I'll try to keep an eye on that. Thanks!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Yep. I just went back to try to delete that previous post and I could, even with your quoted stuff in it. I guess it has everything to do with if someone else has posted since your last submitted post if you can delete it or not. Odd. But now that I posted THIS one, I can't delete it. I can "edit" but not delete. Foolishness. :D
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Yep. I just went back to try to delete that previous post and I could, even with your quoted stuff in it. I guess it has everything to do with if someone else has posted since your last submitted post if you can delete it or not. Odd. But now that I posted THIS one, I can't delete it. I can "edit" but not delete. Foolishness. :D
It has to do with whether or not you're deleting an original post (so the whole thread) or just a single post.

If you create a new post and someone else posts in it, if you then go to delete your original post it would remove the entire thread (including the person's post) whereas if it's just a single post in a thread it doesn't impact anyone else's post.

Either way it's a bit weird in the software.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Are you using TapaTalk or a browser on your phone?
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Just my Internet browser on my phone--Samsung Galaxy SIII
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Just my Internet browser on my phone--Samsung Galaxy SIII
I normally use tapatalk but I'll see if I can replicate in a browser, I have an S3 as well.