NOTEBOOK: Jayron Kearse’s Pickup of Nickel Helps Vikings in Pinch

We find news articles about the Vikings and post them here. If an article generates enough interest it gets moved to the Vikings Talk forum for more discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

NOTEBOOK: Jayron Kearse’s Pickup of Nickel Helps Vikings in Pinch

Post by Cliff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:33 pm

EAGAN, Minn. — Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer is fond of saying that a team can never have enough cornerbacks.

Or in this case, a safety who can play cornerback.

That’s what Jayron Kearse did in Sunday’s 24-16 win over San Francisco, as injuries forced Minnesota to mix up its secondary and shift Kearse to the nickel spot.

“It’s something we’ve been doing since training camp, just been implementing it and putting different guys in at the slot,” Kearse said Monday. “It just happened that yesterday we got into the situation where we needed to use me in the slot so I was able to go in and do what I had to do to help the team win.”

The Vikings were already without cornerback Mackensie Alexander when cornerback Trae Waynes left the game with an injury midway through the second quarter.

Zimmer then switched Hughes from the nickel to outside cornerback and used Kearse in the slot against the 49ers.

Read more
0 x