Night of Firsts on Vikings O-Line: Isidora at C, Jones Makes Debut

We find news articles about the Vikings and post them here. If an article generates enough interest it gets moved to the Vikings Talk forum for more discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Night of Firsts on Vikings O-Line: Isidora at C, Jones Makes Debut

Post by Cliff » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:36 pm

Danny Isidora had never played center, but he lined up in front of Trevor Siemian for an entire half Thursday night.

Isidora started at center and was bracketed by Brett Jones – whom the Vikings acquired via trade on Sunday – and Colby Gossett at left and right guard, respectively. Aviante Collins started at left tackle, and rookie Brian O’Neill started at right.

“It went good,” Isidora said after the game. “I mean, there's some stuff I can fix and stuff I've got to work on. I have to watch the film and see what I can do better, but for the first time, I felt all right.”

The 2017 fifth-round draft pick started Minnesota’s first two preseason games at right guard, and he played there again as a reserve against the Seahawks last week.

Isidora didn’t play center at Miami, in high school or even at the youth level. But when coaches approached him during the week and wanted him to take some reps there during practice, he was all for it.

“I felt comfortable with the plays, I know the plays, so it was just really a matter of snapping the ball and working at center,” Isidora said. “I was like, ‘All right, let’s go. Let’s do it.’

“I was talking to all the centers, just asking them certain techniques and stuff like that,” Isidora said of his teammates. “They were telling me little stuff here and there. That helped me out a little bit.”

Siemian was impressed by Isidora’s first go at center.
Read more
0 x
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson/Mike Zimmer Led Defenses