Mock Madness 2.0: Majority of Experts Expect Vikings to Help O-Line in 1st Round

We find news articles about the Vikings and post them here. If an article generates enough interest it gets moved to the Vikings Talk forum for more discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Mock Madness 2.0: Majority of Experts Expect Vikings to Help O-Line in 1st Round

Post by Cliff » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Read more
0 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Mock Madness 2.0: Majority of Experts Expect Vikings to Help O-Line in 1st Round

Post by mansquatch » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 pm

I think you can put me in the skeptical camp on this one. That they will draft OL is likely a certainty. That it is in the 1st round or even the first day is far from certain. They currently have needs at 3 technique DT, RB, and OL. Like many here, I would argue that at least on the surface the need at OL outstrips the other 3, but that doesn't mean they are going to draft that way. If they can get a legitimate talent at DT (strong in this draft) they might well take it early. Dalvin Cook is not an every down back, let us not forget he has yet to play a full season. They need another guy with a more bruising style to compliment him. If that guy is there, I can see them taking him early also.

I know this is a broken record at this point, but OL talent is far form the certainty it was 10 years ago. Despite our issues drafting said OL talent, there is merit to the strategy of not taking it early. Obviously that merit is less persuasive given the current GM's track record. Then again, one might ask if he will be any better taking it early? His most recent 1st round OL pick was Matt Kalil. I do not fault him for that pick, at the time Kalil was considered a no brainer, but it still wasn't a win.

I can say that if they draft defensive secondary I'm going to be REALLY annoyed.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi