Cooks to Rams for first round pick

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Vikefan60
Backup

Cooks to Rams for first round pick

Post by Vikefan60 »

What kind of insanity is this? Cooks will be on his guaranteed fifth year option with a cap hit close to $9M. There must have been an extension, because otherwise this is just plain nuts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ndin-cooks
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Cooks to Rams for first round pick

Post by dead_poet »

Rams were determined to land and weapon for Goff. Weird career path for Cooks. He's the Sam Bradford of WRs.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pats to move up high for a QB?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

dead_poet wrote:Pats to move up high for a QB?
That will be interesting to watch. They really can't outgun the Bills at this point, and reports are that the Bills are all in on moving up. If NYG pick a QB (I think they will), then the last of the big four may go at pick four. That said, who the heck ever knows what the Pats are up to?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm hoping for another 2011 when the Eagles had their "dream team" offseason that basically blew up. All this looks great on paper but how they play as a team is a big consideration. Especially with guys like Talib, Peters, and Suh.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Redskins or Baltimore tried that and signed
a ton of huge name vets like Deion Sanders
and didn't even come close
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

I agree with you guys. This could just as easily become a recipe for disaster as a recipe for a Lombardi. One thing for certain, the Rams cap situation will be an absolute train wreck in 2019.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

According to overthecap, they didn't even have enough cap space to trade for Cooks. They must have made some minor restructure moves to create space (which, of course, only worsens their situation going forward. I'm guessing they are primarily focused on selling season tickets in their new stadium, at the expense of any real possibility of long term success. If we step back and look at the business side, it may make a bit more sense.
Last edited by Vikefan60 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikefan60 wrote:According to overthecap, they didn't even have enough cap space to trade for Brooks. They must have made some minor restructure moves to create space (which, of course, only worsens their situation going forward. I'm guessing they are primarily focused on selling season tickets in their new stadium, at the expense of any real possibility of long term success. If we step back and look at the business side, it may make a bit more sense.
For Cooks? Then what about their rookies? Probably some more minor restructuring going on. I'll be real interested in their Donald extension.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

dead_poet wrote:
Vikefan60 wrote:According to overthecap, they didn't even have enough cap space to trade for Cooks. They must have made some minor restructure moves to create space (which, of course, only worsens their situation going forward. I'm guessing they are primarily focused on selling season tickets in their new stadium, at the expense of any real possibility of long term success. If we step back and look at the business side, it may make a bit more sense.
For Cooks? Then what about their rookies? Probably some more minor restructuring going on. I'll be real interested in their Donald extension.
Woops! Yeah, I meant B. Cooks (my brain must have consolidated that to "Brooks"). They just need to get below the cap before they can sign their rookies. They're likely going to have to give Donald a bazilliion dollar signing bonus spread over many years to make this cap situation work. The math is easy, the long term ramifications will likely be very painful, especially when Goff comes up for an extension.

Edit: to clarify, they must be under the cap at all times, but they need to clear further space to sign rookies
Last edited by Vikefan60 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

Rams $4.9M in space before the trade:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/los-angeles-rams

Cooks 2018 $8.5M cap hit / guaranteed salary for 2018:

https://overthecap.com/player/brandin-cooks/2959/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Good article on the 2018 Rams

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... ssion=true
But the concerns over the team’s upcoming deluge of big paydays is overwrought. Joyner, Cooks, Donald, Suh, Peters, Talib, Goff, and Todd Gurley will all be due for new contracts over the next two years, but with a projected $80 million and change of cap space for the 2019 season, the Rams have an incredible amount of flexibility to decide whom to keep (or let leave) after this season. L.A. has very few big-money commitments going out past next year, with left tackle Andrew Whitworth and defensive tackle Michael Brockers the only two players due to count north of $10 million against the cap in 2019. Plus, Goff’s the only player with more than $2 million in dead money—meaning the team can cut just about anyone it wants if it needs to shuffle the books around significantly. That means the Rams can extend Donald, Cooks (which is reportedly the plan), and a few other key members of the nucleus—and still have plenty of room to spare for Goff and Gurley down the line.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

Rams "intend" to sign Cooks to extension:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... son-starts

That is a somewhat silly article. Basically says "the good news is that the Rams have blown their entire salary cap up for this year to add great players" and then "the further good news is that all these great names they have acquired will be free agents after 2018, so the cap will recover." I'm convinced that this is entirely a business move to sell tickets in their new stadium. Since the new stadium doesn't open until 2020, they had better hope for a lot of advance purchases of premium seats. If they fail to deliver in 2018, and then crash and burn in 2019; that stadium just might wind up with a whole lot of empty seats.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Vikefan60 wrote:I'm convinced that this is entirely a business move to sell tickets in their new stadium. Since the new stadium doesn't open until 2020, they had better hope for a lot of advance purchases of premium seats. If they fail to deliver in 2018, and then crash and burn in 2019; that stadium just might wind up with a whole lot of empty seats.
This seems to be the consensus even amongst Rams fans. The licenses for season tickets go on sale this year so it all aligns. LA is a finicky crowd and I don't think they'll support a losing team.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Good article on the 2018 Rams

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... ssion=true
But the concerns over the team’s upcoming deluge of big paydays is overwrought. Joyner, Cooks, Donald, Suh, Peters, Talib, Goff, and Todd Gurley will all be due for new contracts over the next two years, but with a projected $80 million and change of cap space for the 2019 season, the Rams have an incredible amount of flexibility to decide whom to keep (or let leave) after this season. L.A. has very few big-money commitments going out past next year, with left tackle Andrew Whitworth and defensive tackle Michael Brockers the only two players due to count north of $10 million against the cap in 2019. Plus, Goff’s the only player with more than $2 million in dead money—meaning the team can cut just about anyone it wants if it needs to shuffle the books around significantly. That means the Rams can extend Donald, Cooks (which is reportedly the plan), and a few other key members of the nucleus—and still have plenty of room to spare for Goff and Gurley down the line.
Did the salary cap increase significantly in the past few seasons? How is anyone $80 million under the cap? What are the Vikings next seasons?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018