Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8332
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by Cliff » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 am

Link Here.
When Josh McDaniels went to Gillette Stadium on Tuesday morning, he was there to clean out his office and say goodbye, sources with knowledge of his thought process told NFL.com. Instead, sources say, McDaniels met for hours with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, owner Robert Kraft and president Jonathan Kraft, who laid out how they felt about him and the process going forward -- one that surely seems tied to Belichick's future plans.

By around 7 p.m. ET, McDaniels was calling Colts general manager Chris Ballard and backing out of a deal announced just hours earlier to become Indianapolis' new head coach, opting to stay with the Patriots as offensive coordinator instead of taking his long-awaited second shot to run his own show.
Belichick, 65, intends to remain as Patriots coach for at least one more season, a source told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. But McDaniels, 41, now appears to be the Patriots' head coach-in-waiting, if not contractually. (Like all teams, the Patriots would need to comply with the Rooney Rule before making a change.) McDaniels has one year remaining on his existing contract and didn't sign another immediately, a source said, though that's expected to happen at some point.
I sure would hate to be the guy who comes in after Belichick. Talk about high standards ...
0 x
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Starter
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by Rhodes Closed » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Career suicide if you ask me. If he doesn't work out for the Patriots (which he inevitably won't, because without Belichick and Brady, the Pats are nothing), no team is going to want a liar/scumbag who reneges on a deal for even the flimsiest of reasons. The Colts are a better team in the next few years and he should have known better than to stick with a ship beginning to sink in the Patriots.
0 x

Dames
Transition Player
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Hanover, MN
Contact:

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by Dames » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Rhodes Closed wrote:Career suicide if you ask me. If he doesn't work out for the Patriots (which he inevitably won't, because without Belichick and Brady, the Pats are nothing), no team is going to want a liar/scumbag who reneges on a deal for even the flimsiest of reasons. The Colts are a better team in the next few years and he should have known better than to stick with a ship beginning to sink in the Patriots.
Honestly it's not that bad in principle. To me, it's similar to your current employer offering to match or increase your salary in order to keep you after you accept a job somewhere else. That happens all the time. Sure, it sucks for the other employer, but it hardly makes him a liar/scumbag. The biggest difference is the NFL coaching hires are VERY public, so it's blatantly obvious that he did it. If all job hires were that public, it would happen less often. So, yeah, it may very well affect his future, but if he wanted to stay in NE then I can't blame him. If he fails in NE (assuming he takes over after Belichick), then he probably isn't going to get a 3rd head coaching job anyway. I'd bet he'd still get OC job offers regardless, but probably not in Indy :)
0 x
Damian

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11326
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by S197 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Cliff wrote:Link Here.
When Josh McDaniels went to Gillette Stadium on Tuesday morning, he was there to clean out his office and say goodbye, sources with knowledge of his thought process told NFL.com. Instead, sources say, McDaniels met for hours with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, owner Robert Kraft and president Jonathan Kraft, who laid out how they felt about him and the process going forward -- one that surely seems tied to Belichick's future plans.

By around 7 p.m. ET, McDaniels was calling Colts general manager Chris Ballard and backing out of a deal announced just hours earlier to become Indianapolis' new head coach, opting to stay with the Patriots as offensive coordinator instead of taking his long-awaited second shot to run his own show.
Belichick, 65, intends to remain as Patriots coach for at least one more season, a source told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. But McDaniels, 41, now appears to be the Patriots' head coach-in-waiting, if not contractually. (Like all teams, the Patriots would need to comply with the Rooney Rule before making a change.) McDaniels has one year remaining on his existing contract and didn't sign another immediately, a source said, though that's expected to happen at some point.
I sure would hate to be the guy who comes in after Belichick. Talk about high standards ...
Especially after BB dumped the heir apparent to Brady and the very promising back up QB. So when BB and Tom retire, McDaniels is going to have Brian Hoyer. Yeah good luck with that. Gronk will probably retire too.
0 x

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8332
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by Cliff » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:31 am

Dames wrote:
Rhodes Closed wrote:Career suicide if you ask me. If he doesn't work out for the Patriots (which he inevitably won't, because without Belichick and Brady, the Pats are nothing), no team is going to want a liar/scumbag who reneges on a deal for even the flimsiest of reasons. The Colts are a better team in the next few years and he should have known better than to stick with a ship beginning to sink in the Patriots.
Honestly it's not that bad in principle. To me, it's similar to your current employer offering to match or increase your salary in order to keep you after you accept a job somewhere else. That happens all the time. Sure, it sucks for the other employer, but it hardly makes him a liar/scumbag. The biggest difference is the NFL coaching hires are VERY public, so it's blatantly obvious that he did it. If all job hires were that public, it would happen less often. So, yeah, it may very well affect his future, but if he wanted to stay in NE then I can't blame him. If he fails in NE (assuming he takes over after Belichick), then he probably isn't going to get a 3rd head coaching job anyway. I'd bet he'd still get OC job offers regardless, but probably not in Indy :)
I think it's more than the publicity that makes it a bad situation for him. For starters there are only 32 potential employers (31 for him now) and a *highly* competitive job market full of quality candidates who haven't screwed anybody over. Plus he didn't just back out on the Colts - he burned them. They already hired 3 of his assistant coaches who are under contract and will be staying with the team. Meaning whatever coach they bring in will have to be okay with that situation (probably not top tier).

If he's successful in NE then people will have a short memory about this. If he's a middling head coach or does a poor job again - he was terrible with the Broncos - then he might not even find an OC position.
0 x
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Dames
Transition Player
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Hanover, MN
Contact:

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by Dames » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:00 am

Cliff wrote: I think it's more than the publicity that makes it a bad situation for him. For starters there are only 32 potential employers (31 for him now) and a *highly* competitive job market full of quality candidates who haven't screwed anybody over. Plus he didn't just back out on the Colts - he burned them. They already hired 3 of his assistant coaches who are under contract and will be staying with the team. Meaning whatever coach they bring in will have to be okay with that situation (probably not top tier).

If he's successful in NE then people will have a short memory about this. If he's a middling head coach or does a poor job again - he was terrible with the Broncos - then he might not even find an OC position.
Yeah, I didn't really consider the other coaches that came to coach with him until I heard Dungy's quote last night. That's a pretty rotten deal for them. And it definitely makes it much worse. It puts the new head coach into a tougher position too, since they aren't "his" guys.

On the other hand, I think the Colts will be better off without McDaniels. He clearly wasn't in it 100%. Plus, wasn't there a lot of crap that went down in Denver as he was leaving there too? I seem to recall something about it, but don't care to look it up.

He's pretty highly regarded as an offensive genius. I suspect he'll get an offer for OC regardless of how he fairs as HC. He may just not be HC material. There are plenty of examples of OC/DCs that fail at HC. It's really such a different job. The trend lately seems to be hiring coordinators to be head coaches solely on the success of their current teams. I hope there is more to it, but honestly sometimes that seems to be the only criteria based on how it turns out sometimes.
0 x
Damian

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18407
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by PurpleMustReign » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 am

Dames wrote:
Cliff wrote: I think it's more than the publicity that makes it a bad situation for him. For starters there are only 32 potential employers (31 for him now) and a *highly* competitive job market full of quality candidates who haven't screwed anybody over. Plus he didn't just back out on the Colts - he burned them. They already hired 3 of his assistant coaches who are under contract and will be staying with the team. Meaning whatever coach they bring in will have to be okay with that situation (probably not top tier).

If he's successful in NE then people will have a short memory about this. If he's a middling head coach or does a poor job again - he was terrible with the Broncos - then he might not even find an OC position.
Yeah, I didn't really consider the other coaches that came to coach with him until I heard Dungy's quote last night. That's a pretty rotten deal for them. And it definitely makes it much worse. It puts the new head coach into a tougher position too, since they aren't "his" guys.

On the other hand, I think the Colts will be better off without McDaniels. He clearly wasn't in it 100%. Plus, wasn't there a lot of crap that went down in Denver as he was leaving there too? I seem to recall something about it, but don't care to look it up.

He's pretty highly regarded as an offensive genius. I suspect he'll get an offer for OC regardless of how he fairs as HC. He may just not be HC material. There are plenty of examples of OC/DCs that fail at HC. It's really such a different job. The trend lately seems to be hiring coordinators to be head coaches solely on the success of their current teams. I hope there is more to it, but honestly sometimes that seems to be the only criteria based on how it turns out sometimes.
Didn't he leave Denver at the end of the season and then somehow reappear with the Patriots during their playoff run that year?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11578
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by jackal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 am

The guy always seemed like a D bag to me
but putting up with a super star HC and QB
Pair for decades might just do that.
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
Laserman
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7311
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by Laserman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 am

must have been offered the Head coach job when Belicheck retires to get him to stay. Something went down there. I personally think Bellicheck wants to win without Tom Brady to secure his coaching legion. This is why he got so pissed when Brady and the owner dumped Garrapolo to the 49ers. Bellicheck won't retire till 3-4 years after brady retires.
0 x

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11578
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by jackal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Yeah I believe Belicheat will be gone
to retirement soon and I hope the Patriots
fall apart and suffer ten years of basement
NFL or twenty years .
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
Vikefan60
Backup
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: Josh McDaniels Bails on the Colts

Post by Vikefan60 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:20 pm

jackal wrote:Yeah I believe Belicheat will be gone
to retirement soon and I hope the Patriots
fall apart and suffer ten years of basement
NFL or twenty years .
+1 Once Brady and BB are gone, we're all hoping for seven years of famine (minimum).
0 x

Post Reply