Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29923
Page 2 of 4

Author:  Jordysghost [ Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Mothman wrote:
Well, this has spun out of control... :(

Let's drop the Packers/division rivals stuff and return the thread to more general NFL news and notes.


Sorry Jim, didn't see your post, could I ask you to leave my post so Jackal can see my reply to his bet? We will take the discussion elsewhere.

Author:  jackal [ Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Quote:
Well, this has spun out of control... :(

Let's drop the Packers/division rivals stuff and return the thread to more general NFL news and notes.


The Bet seems fair to me.. I am willing to back up what I say.. If Green Bay and its awesome
defense and superior Backup to Teddy should sweep the NFC playoffs, with ease...

Author:  Jordysghost [ Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

jackal wrote:
Quote:
Well, this has spun out of control... :(

Let's drop the Packers/division rivals stuff and return the thread to more general NFL news and notes.


The Bet seems fair to me.. I am willing to back up what I say.. If Green Bay and its awesome
defense and superior Backup to Teddy should sweep the NFC playoffs, with ease...


Let us discuss the bet in the smack forum.

Author:  jackal [ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Sounds Larry Fitzgerald is playing his last season ....

Author:  dead_poet [ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

jackal wrote:
Sounds Larry Fitzgerald is playing his last season ....


Canton-bound. Love Fitz. Such a pro. Would've been great to have him in Purple.

Author:  jackal [ Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Quote:
Canton-bound. Love Fitz. Such a pro. Would've been great to have him in Purple.


Ohh yeah he would have looked good in Purple, for sure...

Author:  Raptorman [ Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Looks like RG3 lasted a game. I almost fee for the Browns fans. A list of QB's they have had and number of starts since 2005. 23 so far.

Code:
 Austin Davis (2)
 Brady Quinn (3)
 Brandon Weeden (5)
 Brian Hoyer (3)
 Bruce Gradkowski (1)
 Charlie Frye (6)
 Connor Shaw (1)
 Derek Anderson (10)
 Jake Delhomme (4)
 Johnny Manziel (8)
 Ken Dorsey (3)
 Seneca Wallace (7)
 Thad Lewis (1)
Brady Quinn (9)
Brandon Weeden (15)
Brian Hoyer (13)
Charlie Frye (13)
Colt McCoy (21)
Derek Anderson (24)
Jason Campbell (8)
Josh McCown (8)
Robert Griffin III (1)
Trent Dilfer (11)

Author:  IrishViking [ Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Raptorman wrote:
Looks like RG3 lasted a game. I almost fee for the Browns fans. A list of QB's they have had and number of starts since 2005. 23 so far.

Code:
 Austin Davis (2)
 Brady Quinn (3)
 Brandon Weeden (5)
 Brian Hoyer (3)
 Bruce Gradkowski (1)
 Charlie Frye (6)
 Connor Shaw (1)
 Derek Anderson (10)
 Jake Delhomme (4)
 Johnny Manziel (8)
 Ken Dorsey (3)
 Seneca Wallace (7)
 Thad Lewis (1)
Brady Quinn (9)
Brandon Weeden (15)
Brian Hoyer (13)
Charlie Frye (13)
Colt McCoy (21)
Derek Anderson (24)
Jason Campbell (8)
Josh McCown (8)
Robert Griffin III (1)
Trent Dilfer (11)


I feel for him that sucks and I feel for Browns fans. But I have always disliked RG3. He had that unearned swagger of a guy who really does think that he is the next big thing. He had a decent intro and has languished ever since. Guy seems like the sorta of person that doesn't think "I need to work harder and get better" but rather "I need to get my mojo back" Not a fan.

Author:  S197 [ Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

LOL @ Rams

If SF could only play the whole season like they do game 1.

Author:  Crax [ Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Bills firing OC Greg Roman. Week 2 seems pretty quick, but it's Buffalo with Rex Ryan, so not too shocking. Didn't know Roman was highest paid OC in the league.

I watched that game last night. Whatever their problem was with their OC, their defense got lit up.

Author:  jackal [ Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

I watched about half the game and
the Jets moved at will with the pass.
I'm not sure what first half looked
like , but they didn't seem adjust their
defense at all.

Author:  S197 [ Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Will Fuller with another 100 yard game

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

If there was ever a good example for Spielman, etc. to look at for reasons to take the QB position seriously, it is happening in New England right now. Brady suspended, Garoppolo out with a broken collarbone. Their third string QB, who has to probably be the leader of the team now, is a guy they took in the third round, despite having one of the top five QBs of all time and a second rounder who was drafted a few years ago.
The QB position is not one that should be treated like every other position. Credit the Patriots for understanding that.

Author:  Mothman [ Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

PurpleMustReign wrote:
If there was ever a good example for Spielman, etc. to look at for reasons to take the QB position seriously, it is happening in New England right now. Brady suspended, Garoppolo out with a broken collarbone. Their third string QB, who has to probably be the leader of the team now, is a guy they took in the third round, despite having one of the top five QBs of all time and a second rounder who was drafted a few years ago.
The QB position is not one that should be treated like every other position. Credit the Patriots for understanding that.


:appl: I've been saying the same thing for years. I have no idea why so many fans and teams don't see it that way. Naturally, the best coach in the league gets it. :)

It's the most important position in the game. Treat it that way, from the top of the depth chart to the bottom!

Author:  jackal [ Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Overall I like Spielman but lets face it for years we counted on Peterson to be our offense.
we could use some depth at QB and better OL.. It was nice to see use throw the ball tonight.

Author:  IrishViking [ Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
If there was ever a good example for Spielman, etc. to look at for reasons to take the QB position seriously, it is happening in New England right now. Brady suspended, Garoppolo out with a broken collarbone. Their third string QB, who has to probably be the leader of the team now, is a guy they took in the third round, despite having one of the top five QBs of all time and a second rounder who was drafted a few years ago.
The QB position is not one that should be treated like every other position. Credit the Patriots for understanding that.


:appl: I've been saying the same thing for years. I have no idea why so many fans and teams don't see it that way. Naturally, the best coach in the league gets it. :)

It's the most important position in the game. Treat it that way, from the top of the depth chart to the bottom!



I don't completely buy this. the QB position is a very delicate spot and belichick is a hell of a coach. I would wager that if Garoppolo had been drafted on about 28 other teams he would have flamed out and been trade.

Hell, I think given an offseason He could make me ready to play at QB. So while I think the position should be taken seriously, it also helps to have a coach that can get that level of production out of a player. I have no doubt that Ponders career would be completely different if he had ended up on the Patriots somehow.

Author:  Dames [ Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

IrishViking wrote:
I don't completely buy this. the QB position is a very delicate spot and belichick is a hell of a coach. I would wager that if Garoppolo had been drafted on about 28 other teams he would have flamed out and been trade.

Hell, I think given an offseason He could make me ready to play at QB. So while I think the position should be taken seriously, it also helps to have a coach that can get that level of production out of a player. I have no doubt that Ponders career would be completely different if he had ended up on the Patriots somehow.

I tend to agree. Yes, they are drafting QBs, but I think the success has a lot more to do with the system than the talent they are acquiring. That said, I definitely agree it's been mishandled by the Vikings management.

Author:  Mothman [ Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Dames wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
I don't completely buy this. the QB position is a very delicate spot and belichick is a hell of a coach. I would wager that if Garoppolo had been drafted on about 28 other teams he would have flamed out and been trade.

Hell, I think given an offseason He could make me ready to play at QB. So while I think the position should be taken seriously, it also helps to have a coach that can get that level of production out of a player. I have no doubt that Ponders career would be completely different if he had ended up on the Patriots somehow.

I tend to agree. Yes, they are drafting QBs, but I think the success has a lot more to do with the system than the talent they are acquiring. That said, I definitely agree it's been mishandled by the Vikings management.


I'd take that wager, IrishViking but the point was about the wisdom of the Patriots approach. It doesn't matter how Garoppolo would do elsewhere because he ended up in New England, a good team taking a smart approach to an important position. The latter is the main point.

If a team lacks a coaching staff and environment in which QBs can be successfully developed, that's obviously a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Author:  Dames [ Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Wow, Patriots may be down to their 4th QB, let's see how they manage this one for one game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2664530-jacoby-brissett-injury-updates-on-patriots-qbs-thumb-and-return

Why do I still feel like they'll win anyway?

Author:  S197 [ Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

4th QB is... Edelman?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Author:  jackal [ Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

The Bears offense really is struggling without Forte ...

I know they lost some key defenders .. I am wondering if the Bears ownership
would have the patience to let Fox build ....

Author:  fiestavike [ Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

All the talk of QBs makes me wonder. Is Jacoby Brisset better than Taylor Heinecke? I doubt it.

Is Jimmy Garrapolo better than Shaun Hill? In one game, probably not. In the course of a season, probably so.

I'm not sure how much better the NE backup QB situation is than the Vikings. Both teams have now been ravaged with injuries at the position, but before that, I'd say Hill/Heinecke have about as much value as Jimmy G/Brisset.

Author:  fiestavike [ Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

jackal wrote:
The Bears offense really is struggling without Forte ...

I know they lost some key defenders .. I am wondering if the Bears ownership
would have the patience to let Fox build ....


Hopefully not. Fox and Zimmer are clearly the best coaches in the NFC North. I'd love to see the Bears panick and hire a dud like Caldwell or McCarthy.

Author:  Nunin [ Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Carson Wentz...what a pick
.

Author:  IrishViking [ Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Nunin wrote:
Carson Wentz...what a pick
.



It is insane. Although not unheralded. We will need to see if he can adjust once the defenses have enough tape on him to adjust to him. Seriously though, Philly got a heck of pick.

I am really glad we will have half a season of footage on him before we play. It'll be something, maybe not enough but Zimmer will have something to work with.

Author:  Nunin [ Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

IrishViking wrote:
Nunin wrote:
Carson Wentz...what a pick
.



It is insane. Although not unheralded. We will need to see if he can adjust once the defenses have enough tape on him to adjust to him. Seriously though, Philly got a heck of pick.

I am really glad we will have half a season of footage on him before we play. It'll be something, maybe not enough but Zimmer will have something to work with.

It's also intriguing to wonder if he would have seen the field much at all this year if the Vikes hadn't made the trade. It makes for a really interesting sub-plot should these teams both make the playoffs.
-
I expected Philly to be muddling through a rebuild/restructure after the Chip Kelly fiasco, but it looks like they've landed on their feet.
It will be interesting to see how Wentz does in the later divisional matchups.

Author:  IrishViking [ Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Nunin wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
Nunin wrote:
Carson Wentz...what a pick
.



It is insane. Although not unheralded. We will need to see if he can adjust once the defenses have enough tape on him to adjust to him. Seriously though, Philly got a heck of pick.

I am really glad we will have half a season of footage on him before we play. It'll be something, maybe not enough but Zimmer will have something to work with.

It's also intriguing to wonder if he would have seen the field much at all this year if the Vikes hadn't made the trade. It makes for a really interesting sub-plot should these teams both make the playoffs.
-
I expected Philly to be muddling through a rebuild/restructure after the Chip Kelly fiasco, but it looks like they've landed on their feet.
It will be interesting to see how Wentz does in the later divisional matchups.


I expect he will drop off slightly as teams "Figure him out" But he can play and has the tools. I would expect that he'll have a few rough games and some Philly fans will live up to their legacy and declare him a worthless bust after a 2 int game but yeah, one semi lucky hit can dramatically reduce a rebuild. Essentially they got their QB of the future and a 1st round pick for next year since it freed them up to trade Bradford.

Author:  S197 [ Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Both teams seem to have made out on the trade, albeit it is still very early. The only two undefeated teams left in the NFC were trade partners for starting QB's a week before the season started!

Author:  IrishViking [ Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

S197 wrote:
Both teams seem to have made out on the trade, albeit it is still very early. The only two undefeated teams left in the NFC were trade partners for starting QB's a week before the season started!



If we both keep playing well can you imagine the Sport storylines leading up to the Philly Vikings game?

Author:  Mothman [ Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

fiestavike wrote:
jackal wrote:
The Bears offense really is struggling without Forte ...

I know they lost some key defenders .. I am wondering if the Bears ownership
would have the patience to let Fox build ....


Hopefully not. Fox and Zimmer are clearly the best coaches in the NFC North. I'd love to see the Bears panick and hire a dud like Caldwell or McCarthy.


After a Super Bowl win, 5 division titles, 8 playoff appearances in 10 years, and a 106-56-1 record I'm sure Green Bay deeply regrets hiring a "dud' like McCarthy.

Page 2 of 4 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/