Matt Kalil injured

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Matt Kalil injured

Post by halfgiz »

David Newton
@DNewtonespn
22m
Panthers coach Ron Rivera said left tackle Matt Kalil is dealing with a groin injury. No timetable on him... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

Gee :whistle:
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Matt Kalil injured

Post by Thaumaturgist »

halfgiz wrote:David Newton
@DNewtonespn
22m
Panthers coach Ron Rivera said left tackle Matt Kalil is dealing with a groin injury. No timetable on him... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

Gee :whistle:
Boy, I didn't see that coming either. :twisted:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

thats weird he was always healthy here :whistle:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

jackal wrote:thats weird he was always healthy here :whistle:
Injuries were not one of his negatives. He played every snap through his first four years or something. His problems were technique and skill related.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Injuries were not one of his negatives. He played every snap through his first four years or something. His problems were technique and skill related.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Yes, he played, and I could be (More than likely am ... usually am) wrong, but I thought he was always playing injured or with something tweaked. That IMHO that was why he was never the player he should have been after that first year.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Yes, he played, and I could be (More than likely am ... usually am) wrong, but I thought he was always playing injured or with something tweaked. That IMHO that was why he was never the player he should have been after that first year.
That's exactly right. Him pushing through and "being a tough guy" might have even caused more problems that he's seeing now.

He started all of the games but that doesn't mean he wasn't injured. We haven't heard anything but "his play is down because he's still having problems with ... " whatever.

From 2014:

Kalil back to health, driven to rebound
Offensive tackle Matt Kalil is ready to get back to practicing full-time after knee surgery sidelined him from full-team work during OTAs and minicamp.

Kalil, the fourth pick of the 2012 draft, spent much of last season playing through a knee injury that severely limited his mobility and effectiveness. To the untrained eye, it appeared as though Kalil took a significant step backward. A Pro Bowler as a rookie in 2012, Kalil struggled at times last season, not due to a regression of his skills, but because he was willing to play through the pain to help his team, even after it became obvious that the Vikings weren’t going to be heading back to the playoffs.

As Kalil arrived in Mankato Thursday, he has proclaimed himself ready for 2014 and prepared to return to the form that he showed in his rookie season. It isn’t merely lip service, because he has backed up that projection by spending the majority of his offseason working on rehabbing the knee to assure that there won’t be a repeat of his 2013 struggles.

The true test will come when pads come on and plays start counting, but this day has been a long time coming and Kalil believes he is good to go without restrictions of limitations.

“I’m feeling 100 percent,” Kalil said. “I worked really hard this offseason. I’ve been in Minnesota since the end of February working on my knee. I think it’s finally paid off. These last weeks of workouts I’ve been going full speed. I think it’s the best offseason I’ve had.”
He was poised to be a great lineman and if he can get healthy he can be again. He hadn't been right since that surgery though, in my opinion.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:He was poised to be a great lineman and if he can get healthy he can be again. He hadn't been right since that surgery though, in my opinion.
Which surgery? He's had I think at least two on each knee/leg.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: Which surgery? He's had I think at least two on each knee/leg.
The very first one.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The Panthers think a healthy Kalil, reunited with his brother and working with offensive line coach John Matsko, is primed for a big bounce-back. Matt said he’s fired up to play for Matsko, who helped Oher get back on track before a concussion sidelined him last year and eventually led to his release. “(Matsko) is the first guy I’ve played for that kind of demands excellence from his offensive line room,” Matt said.

Kalil had two offensive line coaches with the Vikings: Jeff Davidson for his first four years and Tony Sparano last year. He’s certainly entitled to the opinion that those coaches didn’t demand excellence, but it seems strange. Also, if you’re a professional playing at the highest level, shouldn’t the demand for excellence come from within?

I think this is a pretty good point and it's something he's shown at numerous times in his career. When he first got here it was, "the coaches have been helping me a lot with my diet telling me it isn't good to eat McDonald's every day." It's like seriously, you're a grown #### man and someone needs to tell you this? Or how he'd just stand there when his sacked QB was lying on the ground. No effort to help him up.

He just never seemed to have the passion that you need to be great in this league. Maybe he needs to have his hand held or someone to push him but that really should come from within.