View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 9:35 am



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Super Bowl 
Author Message
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17113
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Super Bowl
How do we not have a Super Bowl thread???

Skol Patriots. Anyone who doesn't agree that Tom Brady is the best QB ever needs to get their head checked. And for the Falcon fans in Atlanta that gave me crap about the Vikings when I was down there for work, I have one thing to say to you: How many rings you got? That's what I thought.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37162
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Super Bowl
PurpleMustReign wrote:
How do we not have a Super Bowl thread???

Skol Patriots. Anyone who doesn't agree that Tom Brady is the best QB ever needs to get their head checked


Wait: Aaron Rodgers isn't the best? :shock:

Brady's amazing and that comeback win by the Patriots yesterday was amazing. What an incredible game! I couldn't help feeling bad for Falcons. It must have felt like their team's destiny was snatched away from them. Then again, that's how we felt after they won the NFCC game in '98.

What the Patriots have accomplished over the past 15 years or so is simply amazing.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:47 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1535
Post Re: Super Bowl
Tom Brady has 33% of the trophy's given out this century 0.0


Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:52 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3356
Post Re: Super Bowl
Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
How do we not have a Super Bowl thread???

Skol Patriots. Anyone who doesn't agree that Tom Brady is the best QB ever needs to get their head checked


Wait: Aaron Rodgers isn't the best? :shock:

Brady's amazing and that comeback win by the Patriots yesterday was amazing. What an incredible game! I couldn't help feeling bad for Falcons. It must have felt like their team's destiny was snatched away from them. Then again, that's how we felt after they won the NFCC game in '98.

What the Patriots have accomplished over the past 15 years or so is simply amazing.



Even when they were winning, perhaps because of their early dominance, I found myself repeatedly saying, "Poor Falcons fans," knowing that the Patriots would come back and steal the day from them. Classic heartache loss--it was easy to empathize with the Falcons.

Huge respect for Brady. After throwing that early pick six he stayed the course and showed vast mental toughness.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:15 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37162
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Super Bowl
Texas Vike wrote:
Even when they were winning, perhaps because of their early dominance, I found myself repeatedly saying, "Poor Falcons fans," knowing that the Patriots would come back and steal the day from them. Classic heartache loss--it was easy to empathize with the Falcons.


"Classic heartache loss" is a great way to describe it.

Quote:
Huge respect for Brady. After throwing that early pick six he stayed the course and showed vast mental toughness.


I agree. His ability to remain confident and keep pushing forward is impressive. He not only threw that pick, he missed some open receivers on potentially big plays and was taking some brutal hits from the Atlanta defense. None of that seemed to phase him. He just kept his head in the game and directed TD drive after TD drive late in the game to help bring his team back.

The way the Patriots defense kept coming up big in key moments was impressive too.

It was a very memorable Super Bowl!


Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:50 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5520
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Super Bowl
I've got to give credit where credit is due and the Patriots played amazing on offense in the 4th to come back and steal the game, while the Falcons made the sort of uncharacteristic mistakes typical of our beloved Vikings.

However, I did use the word "steal" there because there was one particular play that ended up leading to a key 1st down in that 4th quarter that I'm almost certain would have been overturned on review.

On the Patriots 2nd-to-last TD drive of the 4th quarter there was a throw where the receiver (I think #19 although don't quote me on that) looked like he fell down after making the catch right at the sticks on a 3rd-and-long near the sideline. The defender also fell down on the play. It looked like the Patriot WR fell and then rapidly turned over and slammed the ball on the turf, which I originally thought was frustration over having fallen when making the catch and not being able to continue running for a bigger play since the defender had fallen and, had he been able to stay on his feet, could have kept going and gotten extra yardage and maybe even scored.

The replay showed the play from an up-the-field angle one time and I'm almost certain that angle show the ball squirting between the receiver's arms to the turf, which of course would not be a catch. If that were the case the receiver didn't slam the ball on the ground because he blew an opportunity to make a bigger play - he slammed it down because he knew he didn't make the play at all. The game camera was from the sideline looking down on the field, so the catch couldn't really be viewed from that angle and obviously no ref saw it either, but the single replay that caught it up the field did show it, and pretty clearly at that.

This was a huge play that, if it were ruled incomplete, would have either forced the Pats to take a big chance on a 4th-and-long or take a field goal. Granted, they still might have scored, but I was stunned that the Falcons didn't contest that and the booth announcers and replay folks didn't seem to have noticed it. It seemed pretty obvious on the brief (and aborted) replay they did show, though.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:50 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5520
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Super Bowl
I think it was this play:

3rd and 11 at ATL 26
(7:03 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to M.Mitchell to ATL 14 for 12 yards (C.Goodwin).

I think if someone can find the up-field camera angle of that play it will show it was not a catch. I've tried finding it and I can't, so maybe if someone has the game taped even of what was shown on TV a close examination of that would show that Mitchell dropped the ball on that play.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:55 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Posts: 7146
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida
Post Re: Super Bowl
Why didn't Atlanta take a knee twice then kick the game winning 35 yard fG late in the game? Why even take ANY chance at all? PISS POOR COACHING right there. Atlanta GAVE THE GAME AWAY


Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:13 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10180
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Super Bowl
Unfortunately we had really high winds, which knocked out power for 90% of the game. I did see the overtime drive. I hate that a coin flip determines the game like that, they should really go to the college setup, which is way more fair.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1535
Post Re: Super Bowl
I was yelling at Atlanta to take a time out in the overtime. Their Defense was completely overmatched and Brady was clicking. Honestly, I would have taken back to back timeouts and done everything else I could to delay to get Brady out of synch. Its not like he wasn't already humming. I cant believe he just let his defense "play" and giving up all those yards without doing ANYTHING.


Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3230
Post Re: Super Bowl
Falcons blew it big time.

Also, when a team can drop back and pass 60 plus times and win a game, its clear they have ruined the sport of football.

It was a dramatic game, but it was also a terrible game.


Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:40 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 1901
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Super Bowl
Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
How do we not have a Super Bowl thread???

Skol Patriots. Anyone who doesn't agree that Tom Brady is the best QB ever needs to get their head checked


Wait: Aaron Rodgers isn't the best? :shock:

Brady's amazing and that comeback win by the Patriots yesterday was amazing. What an incredible game! I couldn't help feeling bad for Falcons. It must have felt like their team's destiny was snatched away from them. Then again, that's how we felt after they won the NFCC game in '98.

What the Patriots have accomplished over the past 15 years or so is simply amazing.



Even when they were winning, perhaps because of their early dominance, I found myself repeatedly saying, "Poor Falcons fans," knowing that the Patriots would come back and steal the day from them. Classic heartache loss--it was easy to empathize with the Falcons.


I got the same feeling once the Falcons were called for 3 defensive holding calls on successive 3rd downs in one drive.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:51 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 1901
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Super Bowl
fiestavike wrote:
Falcons blew it big time.

Also, when a team can drop back and pass 60 plus times and win a game, its clear they have ruined the sport of football.

It was a dramatic game, but it was also a terrible game.



The Falcons gave it away. Simple as that. Leading by 16, 3rd and 1 with 8:31 in the 4th. Smart play would be to run, kill some clock, and if they don't convert, punt. Instead, they drop back for a pass, fumble and in a few plays, it's an 8 point game. I can't comment on their next series because I have no idea why they're trying to pass on 2nd down at the NE 22yd line.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:04 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3230
Post Re: Super Bowl
808vikingsfan wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Falcons blew it big time.

Also, when a team can drop back and pass 60 plus times and win a game, its clear they have ruined the sport of football.

It was a dramatic game, but it was also a terrible game.



The Falcons gave it away. Simple as that. Leading by 16, 3rd and 1 with 8:31 in the 4th. Smart play would be to run, kill some clock, and if they don't convert, punt. Instead, they drop back for a pass, fumble and in a few plays, it's an 8 point game. I can't comment on their next series because I have no idea why they're trying to pass on 2nd down at the NE 22yd line.


I agree with all those points. Nonetheless, when the rules protect the QB to such a degree that a team doesn't need to bother about it in the way it gameplans and calls a game, its ruins the game in my eyes. It then changes the way players pass rush, especially against a team that gets the ball out quick. The game is becoming 2 dimensional as a result. I know I'm in the minority...I'm pretty much always in the minority. :lol: It just isn't much more compelling than basketball anymore.


Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:05 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 1901
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Super Bowl
fiestavike wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Falcons blew it big time.

Also, when a team can drop back and pass 60 plus times and win a game, its clear they have ruined the sport of football.

It was a dramatic game, but it was also a terrible game.



The Falcons gave it away. Simple as that. Leading by 16, 3rd and 1 with 8:31 in the 4th. Smart play would be to run, kill some clock, and if they don't convert, punt. Instead, they drop back for a pass, fumble and in a few plays, it's an 8 point game. I can't comment on their next series because I have no idea why they're trying to pass on 2nd down at the NE 22yd line.


I agree with all those points. Nonetheless, when the rules protect the QB to such a degree that a team doesn't need to bother about it in the way it gameplans and calls a game, its ruins the game in my eyes. It then changes the way players pass rush, especially against a team that gets the ball out quick. The game is becoming 2 dimensional as a result. I know I'm in the minority...I'm pretty much always in the minority. :lol: It just isn't much more compelling than basketball anymore.


No, I agree with you somewhat. You can add the "protection" of the WR too. Before, it took guts to catch balls down the middle. Not so much now. PI and holding calls rarely get called on the receivers. Illegal picks too. So common to see receivers push off without getting called. You really don't need a running game anymore.

I still think the NFL is 100 times more exciting than the NBA. But yeah, they NFL needs to start leveling the playing field or it might turn into to another arena league.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:12 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17113
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Super Bowl
Goodell will never fix that. He isna complete hack.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Packers Suck

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Posts: 3009
Post Re: Super Bowl
PurpleMustReign wrote:
How do we not have a Super Bowl thread???

Skol Patriots. Anyone who doesn't agree that Tom Brady is the best QB ever needs to get their head checked. And for the Falcon fans in Atlanta that gave me crap about the Vikings when I was down there for work, I have one thing to say to you: How many rings you got? That's what I thought.


Brady is not even arguably the greatest QB of all time, if he is better then Rodgers then Bradshaw is surely better then Marino and Tarkenton, except, Bradshaw didn't need cheating scandals.

_________________
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011


Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:10 am
Profile
Packers Suck

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Posts: 3009
Post Re: Super Bowl
Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
How do we not have a Super Bowl thread???

Skol Patriots. Anyone who doesn't agree that Tom Brady is the best QB ever needs to get their head checked


Wait: Aaron Rodgers isn't the best? :shock:

Nope, he is. Quite obviously, in fact.

_________________
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011


Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:12 am
Profile
Packers Suck

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Posts: 3009
Post Re: Super Bowl
A little late, but LMAO at the Falcons. Just lmao.

_________________
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011


Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:12 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3028
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Super Bowl
IrishViking wrote:
Tom Brady has 33% of the trophy's given out this century 0.0


Going to put this out there. Brady is a good consistent QB that doesn't turn it over. Best ever? Maybe. But he has a lot of help from his defense. Let's look at some plays in the second half.

First series, first play, Atalanta is stuffed for -3 yards. picks up 7 and then an incomplete pass on 3rd and 6.

Second series. They score their last TD.

Third series. 2nd and 1 flagged for holding. 2nd and 11, incomplete pass. 3rd and 11, Ryan sacked for -9 yards.

Fourth series. 3rd and 1, Ryan sacked for -11 yards and fumbles, NE recovers.

Fifth series. 2nd and 11, Ryan sacked for -12 yards. Next play they get called for holding again. 3rd and 33, pass incomplete short left. Seriously, short left?

Granted, Brady did the job when he had the ball, but his defense stopped Atalanta when they needed too. Without some of those defensive plays, what Brady did would be moot.

Brady consistently had a top defense in every winning SB season New England has had since he has been there. Rodgers has not. My bet is if the Packers defense was as consistent as the Patriots, Green Bay would have at least 3 more Super Bowl victories.

_________________
This space for rent.


Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:35 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.