View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 pm



Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC 
Author Message
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 9266
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nt-4839350

That ought to make room for another AFC team to make the playoffs next year.

_________________
*********
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida


Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
soflavike wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/18/report-chiefs-making-brad-childress-offensive-coordinator/#comment-4839350

That ought to make room for another AFC team to make the playoffs next year.


probably be a similar dynamic to George Edwards as our DC, and the Childress/Reid dynamic during their Philly years.


Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:59 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
soflavike wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/18/report-chiefs-making-brad-childress-offensive-coordinator/#comment-4839350

That ought to make room for another AFC team to make the playoffs next year.


Return of the KAO!


Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:02 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.

_________________
It's not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it's how many times you get back up and try again.


Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:22 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11402
Location: California
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Reid will run the offense and squirrel
will work on his people skills.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:27 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


He didn't run the offense. Reid ran the offense and called the plays. Childress was just the 'OC.'


Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:46 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
fiestavike wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


He didn't run the offense. Reid ran the offense and called the plays. Childress was just the 'OC.'


That's still a substantial role. There's a lot more to being an OC than calling plays on game day.


Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:50 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


He didn't run the offense. Reid ran the offense and called the plays. Childress was just the 'OC.'


That's still a substantial role. There's a lot more to being an OC than calling plays on game day.


true, I think he got a few fights with TO while he was there ;)

I think Childress is at his best when he doesn't have to interact with players, media or public.


Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 am
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


his offense with a competent qb(2009) looked pretty good. just like frazier he hitched his wagon to the wrong qb.


Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:55 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6601
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Who could forgot such innovative play calling? Run, run, draw, punt. Childress was the pioneer no one appreciated.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:20 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


He didn't run the offense. Reid ran the offense and called the plays. Childress was just the 'OC.'


That's still a substantial role. There's a lot more to being an OC than calling plays on game day.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/21/chiefs-name-childress-and-nagy-co-offensive-coordinators/

Quote:
The team announced that Brad Childress and Matt Nagy would serve as co-offensive coordinators.


:confused:

There may be more than calling plays, but seems other people do more of that stuff than Childress as well. He got way too much credit (and a head coaching job) based on an Eagles offense that was almost all Andy Reid. And now he's getting another promotion from his buddy that'll look good on a resume.


Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:59 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6050
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
slapnut19 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


his offense with a competent qb(2009) looked pretty good. just like frazier he hitched his wagon to the wrong qb.


His offense in spite of him looked pretty good. (Not because of him).

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:31 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Just Me wrote:
slapnut19 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


his offense with a competent qb(2009) looked pretty good. just like frazier he hitched his wagon to the wrong qb.


His offense in spite of him looked pretty good. (Not because of him).


Bevell, who he wouldn't let call plays most of his time here, also went on to call plays as OC for a super bowl winning team. :confused:


Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8069
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Just Me wrote:
slapnut19 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


his offense with a competent qb(2009) looked pretty good. just like frazier he hitched his wagon to the wrong qb.


His offense in spite of him looked pretty good. (Not because of him).


A lot of the offense working well in 2009 was we had a healthy talented starting QB. However, I could be misremembering but that QB also often audibled and/or called plays from the huddle. Maybe there was less of that then I remember. I could just be soured on Childress so I'm only remembering him negatively even though his team had a good year in 2009.

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:15 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6050
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Cliff wrote:

A lot of the offense working well in 2009 was we had a healthy talented starting QB. However, I could be misremembering but that QB also often audibled and/or called plays from the huddle. Maybe there was less of that then I remember. I could just be soured on Childress so I'm only remembering him negatively even though his team had a good year in 2009.


I'm remembering it the same way. Wasn't there an incident where he was tempted to bench Favre when Favre audibled out of a play (and got a score if I remember right)? That could be too much conjecture on my part, because in thinking about it, it seems unlikely the people that "know" would leak that to the public. But I still think Brad Clueless was one of the worst coaches we've had. Not as bad as Steckel, but that's a back-handed compliment if there ever was one.

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17787
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Just Me wrote:
Cliff wrote:

A lot of the offense working well in 2009 was we had a healthy talented starting QB. However, I could be misremembering but that QB also often audibled and/or called plays from the huddle. Maybe there was less of that then I remember. I could just be soured on Childress so I'm only remembering him negatively even though his team had a good year in 2009.


I'm remembering it the same way. Wasn't there an incident where he was tempted to bench Favre when Favre audibled out of a play (and got a score if I remember right)? That could be too much conjecture on my part, because in thinking about it, it seems unlikely the people that "know" would leak that to the public. But I still think Brad Clueless was one of the worst coaches we've had. Not as bad as Steckel, but that's a back-handed compliment if there ever was one.


He also wanted tyo bench Favre in a game we were winning at the time.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11402
Location: California
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
I remember being close to the field at the Metrodome a fan yelled out to him, "
Hey Childress lets pick it up a little, huh" Childress flashed a look of terrible
rage and then smiled!"I remember thinking dam!!!that guy has trouble dealing with
others..." :shock:

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:28 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Posts: 7235
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
don't we still refer to it as " Chilli Ball"? Good luck Chiefs


Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:25 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8069
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Just Me wrote:
Cliff wrote:

A lot of the offense working well in 2009 was we had a healthy talented starting QB. However, I could be misremembering but that QB also often audibled and/or called plays from the huddle. Maybe there was less of that then I remember. I could just be soured on Childress so I'm only remembering him negatively even though his team had a good year in 2009.


I'm remembering it the same way. Wasn't there an incident where he was tempted to bench Favre when Favre audibled out of a play (and got a score if I remember right)? That could be too much conjecture on my part, because in thinking about it, it seems unlikely the people that "know" would leak that to the public. But I still think Brad Clueless was one of the worst coaches we've had. Not as bad as Steckel, but that's a back-handed compliment if there ever was one.


I looked it up to get a better understanding. To give any idea of exactly how much control Childress had over that 2009 offense ...

Quote:
By the third quarter of Minnesota's Sunday night loss to the Carolina Panthers, head coach Brad Childress had reportedly had his fill. Several reporters, including Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press and Judd Zulgad of the Minnesota Star-Tribune indicate that Childress tried to bench Favre in the third quarter, when the Vikings were up, 7-6. Zulgad said this on his Twitter page:

Favre sat (in) conversation on sideline looked heated in third (quarter) because Childress wanted to take Favre out. The QB declined to come out.
"Yeah, there was a heated discussion, I guess you would call it," Favre said after the game. "We were up 7-6 at the time. No secret, I was getting hit a little bit. I felt the pressure on a lot of plays. We had seven points. So I think everyone in the building was like, ‘They're not moving the ball, they're not getting points.' Brad wanted to go in a different direction and I wanted to stay in the game.

"We were up 7-6. Yeah, it's not 70-6, but we're up 7-6. So I said, ‘I'm staying in the game, I'm playing.' I don't know if it was exactly to protect me, or we had seven points, I'm not sure. That's his call. But we talked it out. We didn't have time, I didn't have time to sit there and say why or what. My response was, we've got to win this ballgame and I want to stay in and do whatever I can. Now, unfortunately, I didn't do that, but that was my intention."


Childress tried to bench Favre and he just told him no :lol:

I get the feeling that Favre didn't have any problem ignoring his play calls.

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:35 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8069
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Oh ... and ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-offense/

Quote:
Werder, who cites multiple team sources in support of his report, claims that the talk regarding the possible removal of Favre from multiple games arises not from a desire to protect Favre, but from Favre’s tendency to change the plays that have been called.

(Given the subtle pro-Favre tone of the report and Werder’s history of interviewing Favre and lack of history specifically covering the Vikings, it’s not a stretch to conclude that Favre is one of Werder’s sources.)

Werder also reports that Favre resents that Childress “seldom” discusses the game plan with Favre, and that Childress rarely asks for Favre’s input. And when Favre changes the play, Childress “bristles,” even when the audible works.

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:38 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Laserman wrote:
don't we still refer to it as " Chilli Ball"? Good luck Chiefs


Lucky for them there's no way that incompetent will ever actually be calling plays.


Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:07 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10703
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Cliff wrote:
Oh ... and ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-offense/

Quote:
Werder, who cites multiple team sources in support of his report, claims that the talk regarding the possible removal of Favre from multiple games arises not from a desire to protect Favre, but from Favre’s tendency to change the plays that have been called.

(Given the subtle pro-Favre tone of the report and Werder’s history of interviewing Favre and lack of history specifically covering the Vikings, it’s not a stretch to conclude that Favre is one of Werder’s sources.)

Werder also reports that Favre resents that Childress “seldom” discusses the game plan with Favre, and that Childress rarely asks for Favre’s input. And when Favre changes the play, Childress “bristles,” even when the audible works.


"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload"

"Seam route?"

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload!"

"Seam route has been open all day boss."

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload! Run the damn dive play!"

"Ok. Hey Sidney get ready for a seam route."

"####"


Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6050
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
S197 wrote:
"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload"

"Seam route?"

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload!"

"Seam route has been open all day boss."

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload! Run the damn dive play!"

"Ok. Hey Sidney get ready for a seam route."

"####"

:point:

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:54 am
Profile
Packers Suck

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Posts: 2993
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
slapnut19 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.


his offense with a competent qb(2009) looked pretty good. just like frazier he hitched his wagon to the wrong qb.


Favre was a bit more then competant in 2009.

_________________
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011


Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:53 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Posts: 7235
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
Well he supposed to be a QB guru Yet he hung his whole Head Coach career on Tjoke. Enough said


Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:33 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC
I dont think Norv is a whole lot worse at calling plays then CHildress would be. And thats bottom of the barrel stuff.


Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:42 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.