Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement

Post by PurpleMustReign »

This is turning into a common theme in the NFL. Many players walking away while they are seemingly in their prime. It is kind of concerning. I wonder if he played on a different team if he would think differently...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I hope not. He's 30, which is getting older for a WR, but I'd say he still has at least a few years in him left. He definitely doesn't need the money though, so if he doesn't want to put his body through it anymore, it makes sense. I wonder if retirement would be being considered if he was on a better team. Still has like 4 years on a very expensive contract, I wonder if there is anyway to get a trade worked out if he's willing
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

It's a shame that Detroit makes great players want to quit early :/
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maybe he'll pull a Favre. Retire for a year and then come back and go to a different team.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I have dreams about trading Mike Wallace and a 2nd round pick for Megatron.

It would get Megatron off the Lions and on a contending team (if that is what he really wants) and it would pair Wallace with a QB who can really threaten the defense deep every play. Good for both receivers.

It lets the Lions get really good value for a player who doesn't look like will be back and the Vikings likewise get something in return for a player who they probably won't bring back. Good for both teams.

It gives Teddy the tall WR that he's been missing since he got to the Vikings (the type he had in High School and College) and it is a mutually beneficial situation for a lot of players on offense. Adrian gets another weapon to take attention off him, Diggs can eat up routes underneath Johnson, CP can do more screens/sweeps with a bigger blocker on the field. Megatron himself gets better looks because of the other weapons.

...did I mention this was a wet dream?

Unfortunately this surely works better in my head than in reality and even if it was as good as I fantasize, it's not going to happen.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Calvin has options and has never exactly been a tough guy. There's a reason you don't see many guys from his circumstance rise to the elite level in football, boxing, etc. He's a physical freak but I think he's always left a lot on the table.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Come to GB Calvin, you know you want to.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

The more information we know about brain injuries and the like, then the more that we will see this type of situation. Although, it simply could be the same situation as Barry Sanders.