View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement 
Defensive Tackle

Post Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... etirement/

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:07 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Post Re: Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement
Mothman wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/06/calvin-johnson-contemplating-retirement/

This is turning into a common theme in the NFL. Many players walking away while they are seemingly in their prime. It is kind of concerning. I wonder if he played on a different team if he would think differently...

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

I hope not. He's 30, which is getting older for a WR, but I'd say he still has at least a few years in him left. He definitely doesn't need the money though, so if he doesn't want to put his body through it anymore, it makes sense. I wonder if retirement would be being considered if he was on a better team. Still has like 4 years on a very expensive contract, I wonder if there is anyway to get a trade worked out if he's willing

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:33 pm
Career Elite Player

It's a shame that Detroit makes great players want to quit early :/

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:17 pm
Site Admin

Maybe he'll pull a Favre. Retire for a year and then come back and go to a different team.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:24 am
Career Elite Player

Post Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement
I have dreams about trading Mike Wallace and a 2nd round pick for Megatron.

It would get Megatron off the Lions and on a contending team (if that is what he really wants) and it would pair Wallace with a QB who can really threaten the defense deep every play. Good for both receivers.

It lets the Lions get really good value for a player who doesn't look like will be back and the Vikings likewise get something in return for a player who they probably won't bring back. Good for both teams.

It gives Teddy the tall WR that he's been missing since he got to the Vikings (the type he had in High School and College) and it is a mutually beneficial situation for a lot of players on offense. Adrian gets another weapon to take attention off him, Diggs can eat up routes underneath Johnson, CP can do more screens/sweeps with a bigger blocker on the field. Megatron himself gets better looks because of the other weapons.

...did I mention this was a wet dream?

Unfortunately this surely works better in my head than in reality and even if it was as good as I fantasize, it's not going to happen.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:38 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Calvin has options and has never exactly been a tough guy. There's a reason you don't see many guys from his circumstance rise to the elite level in football, boxing, etc. He's a physical freak but I think he's always left a lot on the table.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:27 am
Packers Suck

Come to GB Calvin, you know you want to.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:20 am
All Pro Elite Player

The more information we know about brain injuries and the like, then the more that we will see this type of situation. Although, it simply could be the same situation as Barry Sanders.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]