View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Notable 2016 Offseason Moves 
Fenrir

Post Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves
SF taking a second swipe at the "innovative yet abrasive big name collegiate coach" because... it worked out so well the first time? :gone:

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:14 pm
Fenrir

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
Hearing Brad Childress likely as the OC for Pederson

Pederson is new Eagles HC

Poor Iggles fans, this is like the groundhog of the NFL. Two more years of misery!

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:15 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Cliff wrote:
It feels like ole Chip just CRUSHED the Eagles for years to come and has moved on. I'd be so pissed if I were an Eagles fan.

I would too... and I'm somewhat surprised that SF would hire him after that.

They're kind of at ground zero. The cupboard is already bare and the only thing they have to hold onto is the possibility that their system QB can regain his form in a system designed around his abilities.

To me, its kind of a 'why not' moment for them.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Source: #Ravens to hire Leslie Frazier to fix secondary espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id… #vikings #bucs

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:26 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I don't know how much "fixing" he'll do. I guess he's not calling the plays though as he's just the secondary coach, so maybe that's a better fit for him.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:46 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
Source: #Ravens to hire Leslie Frazier to fix secondary espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id… #vikings #bucs

LMAO... How far the Ravens have fallen in three years. Yikes.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Remember how great that was going to be, between him and the guy he hired to be our DC who was also a secondary guru? :rofl:

Worked well for Lovie after that too.

:flamed:

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:36 am
Commissioner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/16/titans-announce-hiring-of-mike-mularkey-as-head-coach/

Titans announce hiring of Mike Mularkey as head coach

Quote:
The signs were pointing toward Mike Mularkey dropping the interim part of his interim head coach title in Tennessee since the end of the season and the Titans confirmed it on Saturday.

The team announced that Mularkey has been hired as the team’s permanent head coach after formally interviewing for the job on Friday. The team also interviewed Doug Marrone, Teryl Austin and their defensive coordinator Ray Horton for the position after hiring Jon Robinson as their new General Manager earlier in the week.

What is wrong with these owners? How do people who manage to make it to the level of buying an NFL team do so horribly when it comes to hiring a coach? They trust an incompetent GM? They just don't really care?

See you in 2 or 3 years when they're hiring someone who might work out. :shock:

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Demi wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/16/titans-announce-hiring-of-mike-mularkey-as-head-coach/

Titans announce hiring of Mike Mularkey as head coach

Quote:
The signs were pointing toward Mike Mularkey dropping the interim part of his interim head coach title in Tennessee since the end of the season and the Titans confirmed it on Saturday.

The team announced that Mularkey has been hired as the team’s permanent head coach after formally interviewing for the job on Friday. The team also interviewed Doug Marrone, Teryl Austin and their defensive coordinator Ray Horton for the position after hiring Jon Robinson as their new General Manager earlier in the week.

What is wrong with these owners? How do people who manage to make it to the level of buying an NFL team do so horribly when it comes to hiring a coach? They trust an incompetent GM? They just don't really care?

See you in 2 or 3 years when they're hiring someone who might work out. :shock:

What is weird is how some of these idiots get chance after chance, but Brad Childress, who nearly got to the Super Bowl by building his team, has not even been interviewed for a HC job. Not that I am advocating him in any way, but honestly, if I had only Childress and Mularkey to choose from, I would probably sell my team (joke)... I would probably choose Childress.

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

Crax wrote:
I don't know how much "fixing" he'll do. I guess he's not calling the plays though as he's just the secondary coach, so maybe that's a better fit for him.

Since we signed White to a future contract looks like Robison could be the odd man out.
I was reading White and Captain previously played together and was a decent tandem.

Frazier could maybe pick Robison up. :whistle:

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:15 am
All Pro Elite Player

5 things to know about Melvin White.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/F ... 431b9095dc

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:34 am
All Pro Elite Player

Anyone else have a hearty laugh at the Seahag's missed FG?

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
@AdamSchefter NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the league will institute a "Rooney Rule" for executive positions for women.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:06 pm
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the league will institute a "Rooney Rule" for executive positions for women.

It seems like more political posturing to me but maybe it will do some good. Get ready for those token interviews, ladies!

Maybe I'm being too cynical. :)

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:24 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:

It seems like more political posturing to me but maybe it will do some good. Get ready for those token interviews, ladies!

Maybe I'm being too cynical. :)

I don't know about cynical, but I'm fairly skeptical that forcing interviews will generate women getting hired for those positions. Maybe.
-
On a sidenote I just caught a PBS interview about a book(A Broad Influence) that follows the effects of women in the politcal environment. The author was describing a phenomenon of when a work environment has 2-3 females only, they do not tend to work well together and treat eachother in very adverserial fashion, threatened by one another. When it was 4 or more they were much more tolerant and sisterly at work.
I'd assume that if roles were reversed and women dominated the workplace, men would probably behave in similar fashion to one another?
Kinda interesting...and weird.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:12 pm
Strong Safety

WTFF forcing women into interviews...

Why don't we hire a blind deaf mute with brain
damage in a wheel chair with missing wheels to
coach too. :soap .....

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:17 am
Site Admin

jackal wrote:
WTFF forcing women into interviews...

Why don't we hire a blind deaf mute with brain
damage in a wheel chair with missing wheels to
coach too. :soap .....

Tell us how you really feel about women :D

Seriously though, notice it says for "executive positions" not coaching jobs. Honestly, I don't even know how a woman could possibly become a coach. There aren't female college football teams, etc. The pickins are slim.

There has been only one female NFL football coach period. She was an intern linebackers coach for the Cardinals for last year's training camp and preseason. She also played RB in the IFL.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:40 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Both this, and the 'Rooney Rule' kinda strike me as more offensive to the groups they suggest to help and typical of the NFL's list of 'solutions' to it's problems in the realm of public perception.
-
I think the Rooney rule should be rescinded at this point. I'm skeptical that it was responsible for the hiring of black HCs.....but in any event, there doesn't seem to be much of an issue around it these days. Now the awkward thing is when there are obvious 'token' interviews taking place. I would hate to be 'that guy'...the token interviewee or the guy having to do the interview.
-
As for the women executive issue: I'm not sure how forcing someone, who doesn't want a woman, to interview a woman, will result in them hiring a woman.
Maybe it sets up a possibility for a discrimination lawsuit if a less acredited man gets hired over the woman who is interviewed?

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:41 am
Strong Safety

[quote]
Tell us how you really feel about women :D

Seriously though, notice it says for "executive positions" not coaching jobs. Honestly, I don't even know how a woman could possibly become a coach. There aren't female college football teams, etc. The pickins are slim.

There has been only one female NFL football coach period. She was an intern linebackers coach for the Cardinals for last year's training camp and preseason. She also played RB in the IFL.[quote]

Cliff, no its not about women its force hiring any type of race, gender, age, or social
group a job that someone who is probably less qualified. To me that is very wrong
the best for the job period.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:40 pm
Site Admin

I agree that forcing someone into an interview probably isn't any more likely to get them a job. Though, it's got a be at least a little more likely than not being interviewed at all :lol:

I guess I'd like to see the data on women actually applying for NFL executive jobs and being turned down. Is it a problem with them being turned down for interviews continually or not very many applicants?

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:45 pm
Defensive Tackle

Matt Forte: Days with Bears have 'sadly come to an end'

Quote:
Matt Forte, the second-most-productive running back in franchise history, will no longer be a member of the Chicago Bears.

"Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end," Forte said in an Instagram post. "I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency.

With the Bears informing Matt Forte he won't be back, Jeremy Langford is in position to assume the featured running back role, and if his rookie year was any indication, Langford is ready, Jeff Dickerson writes.
"I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history. My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I'm excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home."

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:07 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
Matt Forte: Days with Bears have 'sadly come to an end'

Quote:
Matt Forte, the second-most-productive running back in franchise history, will no longer be a member of the Chicago Bears.

"Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end," Forte said in an Instagram post. "I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency.

With the Bears informing Matt Forte he won't be back, Jeremy Langford is in position to assume the featured running back role, and if his rookie year was any indication, Langford is ready, Jeff Dickerson writes.
"I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history. My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I'm excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home."

It seems like they never gave Forte enough love over there, I could be wrong though.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
It seems like they never gave Forte enough love over there, I could be wrong though.

He's actually a pretty big fan favorite in this area but every RB who plays in Chicago plays in the shadow of Payton.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:41 am
Strong Safety

One of the guys thought Forte would be the most effective in New England I agree with Brady
quick release and Bellicheck being so effective in using players .. that would give New England
a much effective weapon in the run and short pass..

Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:10 pm
Commissioner

jackal wrote:
One of the guys thought Forte would be the most effective in New England I agree with Brady
quick release and Bellicheck being so effective in using players .. that would give New England
a much effective weapon in the run and short pass..

Don't they already have that guy?

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:29 pm
Defensive Tackle

Report: Redskins, Kirk Cousins break off contract talks, tag likely?

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:58 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Joique Bell was released. I am a little surprised at that because I don't thin kDetroit has anyone else who can run well.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Joique Bell was released. I am a little surprised at that because I don't thin kDetroit has anyone else who can run well.

Abdullah and Zenner should be adequate

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:26 pm
Strong Safety

Quote:
Don't they already have that guy?

The Patriots love to run a stable of backs ... Bill also loves
players that can do multiple things on his team...

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:32 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

LA released James Laurinaitis.. I don't know much about him... would he be good on our defense? I know he has had some good seasons.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next