Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
That's interesting. The risk reward of trying those types of things is changed a bit with a kickoff out of bounds only amounting to a 15 yard penalty, and an effective high kick or directional kick potentially being a much more significant improvement in field position. I would imagine against a guy like Patterson most teams will opt to just kick it out of the endzone if they can. Not worth taking a chance.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

What in the new rule would cause an automatic ejection?
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

S197 wrote:What in the new rule would cause an automatic ejection?
Two unsportsmanlike conduct penaltys.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jordysghost wrote: Two unsportsmanlike conduct penaltys.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I've seen some pretty ticky tack unsportsmanlike calls that in my mind wouldn't warrant an ejection. Hopefully the refs use some degree of discretion making calls this year considering it's "two strikes and you're out."
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

some of Suh's actions IMO should want an automatic ejection
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

jackal wrote:some of Suh's actions IMO should want an automatic ejection
There's blatant stuff like Suh or Burfict but there's also stuff like celebrations or guys jawing at each other. Didn't Robison get an unsportsmanlike for tackling Russell Wilson on that play where Wilson took off running? It's stuff like that which concerns me.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

S197 wrote: It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I've seen some pretty ticky tack unsportsmanlike calls that in my mind wouldn't warrant an ejection. Hopefully the refs use some degree of discretion making calls this year considering it's "two strikes and you're out."
I share your concern.

This is a knee jerk reaction to Norman/Beckham's crap.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote:
This is a knee jerk reaction to Norman/Beckham's crap.
And the rules are already in place to eject both of those guys, the refs just didnt have the courage to do it.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

RGIII signs with the Browns
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I hate the touchback and automatic ejection rule changes. Both of them just plain suck.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:I hate the touchback and automatic ejection rule changes. Both of them just plain suck.
The good news is both are in place for a one year trial period, and don't have to be going forward.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Jordysghost wrote: The good news is both are in place for a one year trial period, and don't have to be going forward.
Thanks for that. I haven't been able to watch/listen to sports talk since those were put in place, and I hadn't heard that.

I'm still not incredibly hopeful that it gets reversed, but Image
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Green Bay signed TE Jared Cook
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Chiefs S Husain Abdullah announced his retirement from the NFL after seven seasons.

"There are numerous deciding factors in my decision, with personal health being foremost. Sitting for five weeks last year after suffering the fifth concussion of my career, I had a lot to contemplate," Abdullah said on Instagram. "My goals moving forward are to be of benefit to my family, my community, my country and hopefully the world. Having a sound mind will be vital in accomplishing these goals." Only 30, Abdullah is yet another quality player retiring early due to concussion concerns. An undrafted free agent out of Washington State in 2008, Abdullah played just 53 snaps his first two seasons in the league. He earned a starting spot with the Vikings in 2010 and started 45 games for Minnesota and Kansas City over the next five seasons. Abdullah finishes his career with six interceptions, 2.5 sacks and 261 tackles.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I really liked Abdullah. Hopefully he has an amazing life after football.