Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by dead_poet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:43 am

@AdamSchefter Dolphins officially hired Chris Grier as their GM.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by dead_poet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Titans announced they will not renew GM Ruston Webster's contract.

Tennessee also removed the interim tag from CEO Steve Underwood, who will lead the search for a new general manager and perhaps new coach. The decision not to retain Webster helps explain why the Titans have yet to reach out to coaching candidates, although there is still a slim possibility interim coach Mike Mularkey lands the permanent job. With Marcus Mariota, talent of defense and the No. 1 pick, Tennessee will be an attractive destination for GM candidates
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by dead_poet » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Browns named former Mets vice president of player development and scouting Paul DePodesta executive vice president.

That is not a typo. The Browns are bringing in a baseball executive who is perhaps most famous for his time with the Athletics which was chronicled in the book Moneyball. DePodesta also was the Dodgers GM for two seasons in the mid-2000s and had been with the Mets since 2010. DePodesta will be above executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown on the flowchart, who himself is a former lawyer. Cleveland is going all in on analytics in an attempt to turn the franchise around.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37379
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Mothman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 pm

dead_poet wrote:Browns named former Mets vice president of player development and scouting Paul DePodesta executive vice president.

That is not a typo. The Browns are bringing in a baseball executive who is perhaps most famous for his time with the Athletics which was chronicled in the book Moneyball. DePodesta also was the Dodgers GM for two seasons in the mid-2000s and had been with the Mets since 2010. DePodesta will be above executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown on the flowchart, who himself is a former lawyer. Cleveland is going all in on analytics in an attempt to turn the franchise around.
Wow, that's an interesting development! Thanks for the news. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Crax
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Utah

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Crax » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:45 pm


User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37379
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Mothman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:47 am

Crax wrote:Tampa Bay fires Lovie Smith.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ovie-smith
Wow, that's surprising!

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37379
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Mothman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 am

Dead_poet, you might find this article at PFT's site interesting:

Brian Billick: You can’t do Moneyball in the NFL

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by DK Sweets » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:12 am

Mothman wrote: Wow, that's surprising!
Honestly, I think Lovie getting fired is less surprising than Lovie getting hired.

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by PurpleMustReign » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:16 pm

Mothman wrote: Wow, that's surprising!
It is a mild surprise only becaise Tampa Bay was having a decent season up until December.
Still Lovie and Leslie's times of running an effective defense are clearly over. Good move for Tampa.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37379
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Mothman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:46 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote: It is a mild surprise only becaise Tampa Bay was having a decent season up until December.
Still Lovie and Leslie's times of running an effective defense are clearly over. Good move for Tampa.
Their defense finished in the top 10. They didn't fare as well in scoring defense but they seemed to be making progress and they do play in a division with some teams that can really score.

I think they have an impatient ownership group that's going to turn them into the NFC South version of the Browns or Raiders if they're not careful. The Bucs have no gone through 3 head coaches in 7 years.

I'm not a huge Lovie Smith fan but he's not a bad coach and that team was making progress. You have to give a coach some time to turn a bad team around.

Demi
Commissioner
Posts: 23761
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Demi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:50 pm

While Dirk Koetter's offense showed plenty of promise with Winston as the centerpiece, Smith's defense wasn't any better than the 2-14 unit he presided over in 2014. Smith released Darrelle Revis, traded former first-round safety Mark Barron, hand-picked his own secondary and oversaw the two worst pass defenses in franchise history.
:rofl:
Good ole Frazier.

User avatar
Rieux
Franchise Player
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:48 pm
Location: St. Paul

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Rieux » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Crax wrote:Tampa Bay fires Lovie Smith.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ovie-smith
Various commentators seem to think that Smith was pushed out to make room for elevating current Bucs OC/quarterback whisperer Dirk Koetter, who is otherwise in danger of being lured away to Tennessee or Miami or somewhere.

Presuming that's right, what's the over/under on the number of websites and periodicals that will headline their stories on the HC hiring with "WELCOME BACK, KOETTER"?

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by DK Sweets » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Rieux wrote: Various commentators seem to think that Smith was pushed out to make room for elevating current Bucs OC/quarterback whisperer Dirk Koetter, who is otherwise in danger of being lured away to Tennessee or Miami or somewhere.

Presuming that's right, what's the over/under on the number of websites and periodicals that will headline their stories on the HC hiring with "WELCOME BACK, KOETTER"?
I had to google that to understand the reference.

You must be old.

User avatar
Rieux
Franchise Player
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:48 pm
Location: St. Paul

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Rieux » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:20 am

DK Sweets wrote:You must be old.
:shock: Ouch!

I don't know if I'm proving you right or wrong by telling you that I was born during the run of that show. I'm, uh, younger than Matt Hasselbeck....

I sure thought "Welcome Back, Kotter" was, and remains, a common pop-cultural reference. In any case, sportswriters tend to be either (1) old enough and/or (2) pop-culture savvy enough to be familiar with the show. Or at least it seems that way to me.

User avatar
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3201
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Sebastian, FL

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Raptorman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:36 am

Mothman wrote: Wow, that's an interesting development! Thanks for the news. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
Guess we find out if Moneyball works in the NFL. :whistle:
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966

User avatar
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3201
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Sebastian, FL

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Raptorman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:38 am

DK Sweets wrote:
You must be old.
Don't knock it. It's were John Travolta became a household name.


And yes, some of "old" people watched it first run.

But then I remember first runs of Giligans Island.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by DK Sweets » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:08 am

Rieux wrote: :shock: Ouch!

I don't know if I'm proving you right or wrong by telling you that I was born during the run of that show. I'm, uh, younger than Matt Hasselbeck....

I sure thought "Welcome Back, Kotter" was, and remains, a common pop-cultural reference. In any case, sportswriters tend to be either (1) old enough and/or (2) pop-culture savvy enough to be familiar with the show. Or at least it seems that way to me.
:lol:

I hope it was clear that I was try to be good natured with that jab.

I think you're right that most writers would get that reference and run with it.

Jordysghost
Packers Suck
Posts: 2992
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Jordysghost » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:44 pm

DK Sweets wrote:Honestly, I think Lovie getting fired is less surprising than Lovie getting hired.
Are you kidding? Did you see what he did with TBs craptastic roster and a rookie at QB?

TB will regret this, #### show organisation just got rid of the best HC they have had since Gruden.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by dead_poet » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:00 pm

Rams to LA. Raiders staying put (for now) likely with extra $100 million towards new stadium. Chargers likely to opt-in with Rams in Inglewood. Thankfully Minnesota got this done. I feel awful for St. Louis & San Diego fans. We'll see if LA fans support these teams.

###

The Rams and Chargers are expected to be approved for relocation to Inglewood, Cal.
Stan Kroenke's project is taking the day, with Dean Spanos and Mark Davis' Carson proposal dissolving as soon as the bargaining began. The expectation is that Davis will receive extra NFL loan money as he seeks a new stadium in Oakland, a development that is sure to gall Rams and Chargers fans. Official word could come as early as Tuesday evening. It's an exciting day for football fans in the nation's second-largest market, but an awful betrayal for San Diego and St. Louis.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by fiestavike » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:02 am

dead_poet wrote:Rams to LA. Raiders staying put (for now) likely with extra $100 million towards new stadium. Chargers likely to opt-in with Rams in Inglewood. Thankfully Minnesota got this done. I feel awful for St. Louis & San Diego fans. We'll see if LA fans support these teams.

###

The Rams and Chargers are expected to be approved for relocation to Inglewood, Cal.
Stan Kroenke's project is taking the day, with Dean Spanos and Mark Davis' Carson proposal dissolving as soon as the bargaining began. The expectation is that Davis will receive extra NFL loan money as he seeks a new stadium in Oakland, a development that is sure to gall Rams and Chargers fans. Official word could come as early as Tuesday evening. It's an exciting day for football fans in the nation's second-largest market, but an awful betrayal for San Diego and St. Louis.
I think there are still veiled threats that Davis could move to the San Antonio market and that he owns a big piece of land between Austin and SA. I'm not sure I want that to happen because of all the lowlifes that would be likely to follow the team out here.

Crax
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Utah

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Crax » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm

@UncleChaps
Done deal. Hue Jackson will be the next head coach of the Cleveland #Browns.
Over/Under on being there longer than 2 years?

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8306
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Cliff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:46 pm

Crax wrote: Over/Under on being there longer than 2 years?
He was pretty good as Wolverine but I don't know how I feel about him as a head coach. Wait ... never mind.
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Crax
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Utah

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Crax » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:02 pm

Cliff wrote: He was pretty good as Wolverine but I don't know how I feel about him as a head coach. Wait ... never mind.
It took you a minute to realize it was the Browns we were talking about? Not even wolverine could last there. Last 4 coaches lasted 2 years or less with Chudzinski lasting only 1 season.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by dead_poet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Chip Kelly is the new head coach of the 49ers
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Jordysghost
Packers Suck
Posts: 2992
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Jordysghost » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm

dead_poet wrote:Chip Kelly is the new head coach of the 49ers
Bwahahahahahahaha.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by dead_poet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:26 pm

It'll be interesting to see what Chip can do with a quarterback that more closely seems to fit his offensive scheme and a pretty good running back (if he can come back healthy). Defense may need some work after all the turnover but I'm not sure there are a lot of missing pieces. The GM-Coach dynamic there may be interesting to watch. Baalke is kind of a power-hungry dude and Chip seems to have a lot of opinions on how his roster is constructed (he won't have control of the final 53 this time around). It'll be fun to watch their offseason moves and the draft.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8306
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Cliff » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:20 pm

It feels like ole Chip just CRUSHED the Eagles for years to come and has moved on. I'd be so pissed if I were an Eagles fan.
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37379
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Mothman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:29 pm

Cliff wrote:It feels like ole Chip just CRUSHED the Eagles for years to come and has moved on. I'd be so pissed if I were an Eagles fan.
I would too... and I'm somewhat surprised that SF would hire him after that.

Crax
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Utah

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by Crax » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:33 pm

I do think Chip overall is a good coach. I do not think he is a good guy to be in charge of everything, plus that's too much for one guy IMHO to do these days. I do know what his role is going to be with the 49ers, but he may be able to resurrect Kaepernick.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by dead_poet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Hearing Brad Childress likely as the OC for Pederson
Pederson is new Eagles HC
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Post Reply