2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm

2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by Purple bruise » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:58 am

I would take Berry from the Chiefs (safety) or Jeffery from the Bears (WR) in a heartbeat :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-for-2016
0 x
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Jordysghost
Packers Suck
Posts: 2992
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by Jordysghost » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:28 am

Purple bruise wrote:I would take Berry from the Chiefs (safety) or Jeffery from the Bears (WR) in a heartbeat :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-for-2016
Cap implications in tact? It seems like Spielman has been rather aggressive to this point in time, signing more big name free agents would not be healthy for the longterm health of the team/cap.
0 x
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011

User avatar
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by Purple bruise » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:50 am

Jordysghost wrote: Cap implications in tact? It seems like Spielman has been rather aggressive to this point in time, signing more big name free agents would not be healthy for the longterm health of the team/cap.
That is one more reason to "dump" Wallace and his contract. Do you know what the Viking's cap situation is :shock: This is a wish list for the VIKINGS and I will assume that these signings could be made with the proper salary cap measures.
0 x
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Jordysghost
Packers Suck
Posts: 2992
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by Jordysghost » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:03 am

Purple bruise wrote: That is one more reason to "dump" Wallace and his contract. Do you know what the Viking's cap situation is :shock: This is a wish list for the VIKINGS and I will assume that these signings could be made with the proper salary cap measures.
Dropping Wallace would still force you to eat his cap hit. Im not really sure what the Vikings cap situation is, but it seems on a surface level you have been a little aggressive.
0 x
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24615
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by dead_poet » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:49 am

I'm pretty sure if the Vikings cut Wallace prior to June 1 they'll save his $11.5 million contract. He has zero guaranteed cash left. Those savings will come in handy.

According to overthecap.com, as it stands the Vikings will have a total 2016 cap number of $129,189,903. The 2016 NFL salary cap is expected to be between $147 million and $155 million. I'm not sure where that would rank them but they have one of the best in the business running the team's financials so I'm not concerned. If they want, they can make some day-1 free agent moves.

The highest cap numbers on the team are:

Mike Wallace: $11,500,000 (likely cut)
Matt Kalil: $11,096,000 (extended to lower 2016 cap number)
Adrian Peterson: $11,000,000 (Hmm...)
Everson Griffen: $8,200,000 (no change)
Phil Loadholt: $7,750,000 (hmmm....possibly short extension)
Kyle Rudolph: $7,300,000 (no change)
Linval Jospeh: $6,350,000 (no change)
John Sullivan: $5,833,333 (no change?)

Robison has a $5,050,000 cap hit and with Hunter coming on it'll be interesting what they do with him.

They'll have very little dead money, which is a very good thing.

I expect Harrison Smith to be re-signed this offseason, which will have some cap implications. Potentially Rhodes as well but I'm not sure if they don't wait on him. I would think Newman is re-signed for another one or two years.

Regarding the free agents...

Jeffery isn't going anywhere. Neither is Berry from the Chiefs. At least I'd be surprised if either reached free agency. But I'd take either or both.

I'm looking hard at Kelechi Osemele, Alex Boone, Tashaun Gipson and George Iloka. I have a pipe dream of Rick being shifty and somehow acquiring a (hopefully) re-instated Josh Gordon but Gordon isn't even re-instated yet, he's totally under Cleveland's control in 2016 IF he's reinstated and they lack SO much offensive weaponry that they'd be so dumb to get rid of him and I have no idea what his value would be anyway.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18590
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:52 am

I think Wallace will be back next season, but it will be under a different contract. He is the only established WR we have and getting rid of him would be really stupid.
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24615
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by dead_poet » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:00 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:I think Wallace will be back next season, but it will be under a different contract. He is the only established WR we have and getting rid of him would be really stupid.
Not if CJ can offer similar production at 1/11th the cost.

Wallace strikes me as someone that would prefer to be paid more than we'd be willing to shell out and go to a team better suited to his strengths.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11583
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by jackal » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:02 pm

I am hoping for Jeffery and an OL
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

slapnut19
Transition Player
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by slapnut19 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:51 pm

there is no cap hit for releasing wallace after the season. the team could clear up close to 15 mil by cutting him and shaun hill. i agree that wallace would be back next year. i could see a two or three year extension where they lower his cap number by half or so. he isn't likely to get that kind of money on the open market. here's a list of 2016 salaries and cap hits.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/2016/
0 x

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4016
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Location: So. Utah

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by The Breeze » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:59 pm

I can't see much of a reason for Wallace to come back next year. If I was him I'd go to somewhere like Tenn, Oak, Cin, AZ....basically anyone who offers him a decent contract in an offense where he would not be miscast.
I dunno...maybe he likes it in Minny, but I doubt it.
0 x

slapnut19
Transition Player
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by slapnut19 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:04 pm

i could see wallace with new england. not saying he would have a moss type impact, but i think he would excel with brady, gronk and edelman.
0 x

slapnut19
Transition Player
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by slapnut19 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:12 pm

as much as i would like jeffrey do you hand him 11-13 mil a year with a monster bonus considering his history of injuries? i'd be very leery if the bears let him hit the open market without some sort of tag. when healthy he is a beast though and would be a perfect complement to diggs and wright.
0 x

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4016
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Location: So. Utah

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by The Breeze » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 pm

slapnut19 wrote:i could see wallace with new england. not saying he would have a moss type impact, but i think he would excel with brady, gronk and edelman.
Yeah...Wallace in NE might be sick. I'd doubt they would pay him what he wants.
And I agree that a big posession type of WR is what the vikes need.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18590
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:33 pm

The Breeze wrote: Yeah...Wallace in NE might be sick. I'd doubt they would pay him what he wants.
And I agree that a big posession type of WR is what the vikes need.
First, Jeffery is NOT GOING ANYWHERE... he will be franchised if nothing else.
Second, I bet Wallace comes back next season with a revamped contract. The Vikings would be stupid to let him go because he is the only established WR we have. Teddy needs a WR like him, and they will have the entire offseason to work on their chemistry.
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by DK Sweets » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:43 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote: First, Jeffery is NOT GOING ANYWHERE... he will be franchised if nothing else.
Second, I bet Wallace comes back next season with a revamped contract. The Vikings would be stupid to let him go because he is the only established WR we have. Teddy needs a WR like him, and they will have the entire offseason to work on their chemistry.
Im not saying you're wrong about Jeffrey, but don't forget that they just drafted White with their first overall pick. It's not completely out of the question that they let him go because he doesn't want to be in Chicago/wants more than they will pay him.

I would bet he stays, but I don't think it's something you can write in stone.

I feel a lot more confident in saying Wallace won't be back here. He chose Miami over us because he didn't like the cold weather, and he's having a career worst year. If he's taking a paycut, why not choose his own destination?
0 x