View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 am



Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2016 free agent players. Who do you like? 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 3565
Post 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
I would take Berry from the Chiefs (safety) or Jeffery from the Bears (WR) in a heartbeat :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-for-2016

_________________
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.


Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:58 am
Profile
Packers Suck

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Posts: 2993
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
Purple bruise wrote:
I would take Berry from the Chiefs (safety) or Jeffery from the Bears (WR) in a heartbeat :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-for-2016


Cap implications in tact? It seems like Spielman has been rather aggressive to this point in time, signing more big name free agents would not be healthy for the longterm health of the team/cap.

_________________
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011


Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:28 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 3565
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
Jordysghost wrote:
Purple bruise wrote:
I would take Berry from the Chiefs (safety) or Jeffery from the Bears (WR) in a heartbeat :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-for-2016


Cap implications in tact? It seems like Spielman has been rather aggressive to this point in time, signing more big name free agents would not be healthy for the longterm health of the team/cap.


That is one more reason to "dump" Wallace and his contract. Do you know what the Viking's cap situation is :shock: This is a wish list for the VIKINGS and I will assume that these signings could be made with the proper salary cap measures.

_________________
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.


Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:50 am
Profile
Packers Suck

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Posts: 2993
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
Purple bruise wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:
Purple bruise wrote:
I would take Berry from the Chiefs (safety) or Jeffery from the Bears (WR) in a heartbeat :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-for-2016


Cap implications in tact? It seems like Spielman has been rather aggressive to this point in time, signing more big name free agents would not be healthy for the longterm health of the team/cap.


That is one more reason to "dump" Wallace and his contract. Do you know what the Viking's cap situation is :shock: This is a wish list for the VIKINGS and I will assume that these signings could be made with the proper salary cap measures.


Dropping Wallace would still force you to eat his cap hit. Im not really sure what the Vikings cap situation is, but it seems on a surface level you have been a little aggressive.

_________________
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011


Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:03 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23066
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
I'm pretty sure if the Vikings cut Wallace prior to June 1 they'll save his $11.5 million contract. He has zero guaranteed cash left. Those savings will come in handy.

According to overthecap.com, as it stands the Vikings will have a total 2016 cap number of $129,189,903. The 2016 NFL salary cap is expected to be between $147 million and $155 million. I'm not sure where that would rank them but they have one of the best in the business running the team's financials so I'm not concerned. If they want, they can make some day-1 free agent moves.

The highest cap numbers on the team are:

Mike Wallace: $11,500,000 (likely cut)
Matt Kalil: $11,096,000 (extended to lower 2016 cap number)
Adrian Peterson: $11,000,000 (Hmm...)
Everson Griffen: $8,200,000 (no change)
Phil Loadholt: $7,750,000 (hmmm....possibly short extension)
Kyle Rudolph: $7,300,000 (no change)
Linval Jospeh: $6,350,000 (no change)
John Sullivan: $5,833,333 (no change?)

Robison has a $5,050,000 cap hit and with Hunter coming on it'll be interesting what they do with him.

They'll have very little dead money, which is a very good thing.

I expect Harrison Smith to be re-signed this offseason, which will have some cap implications. Potentially Rhodes as well but I'm not sure if they don't wait on him. I would think Newman is re-signed for another one or two years.

Regarding the free agents...

Jeffery isn't going anywhere. Neither is Berry from the Chiefs. At least I'd be surprised if either reached free agency. But I'd take either or both.

I'm looking hard at Kelechi Osemele, Alex Boone, Tashaun Gipson and George Iloka. I have a pipe dream of Rick being shifty and somehow acquiring a (hopefully) re-instated Josh Gordon but Gordon isn't even re-instated yet, he's totally under Cleveland's control in 2016 IF he's reinstated and they lack SO much offensive weaponry that they'd be so dumb to get rid of him and I have no idea what his value would be anyway.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:49 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17445
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
I think Wallace will be back next season, but it will be under a different contract. He is the only established WR we have and getting rid of him would be really stupid.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:52 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23066
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
PurpleMustReign wrote:
I think Wallace will be back next season, but it will be under a different contract. He is the only established WR we have and getting rid of him would be really stupid.


Not if CJ can offer similar production at 1/11th the cost.

Wallace strikes me as someone that would prefer to be paid more than we'd be willing to shell out and go to a team better suited to his strengths.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:00 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11321
Location: California
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
I am hoping for Jeffery and an OL

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:02 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
there is no cap hit for releasing wallace after the season. the team could clear up close to 15 mil by cutting him and shaun hill. i agree that wallace would be back next year. i could see a two or three year extension where they lower his cap number by half or so. he isn't likely to get that kind of money on the open market. here's a list of 2016 salaries and cap hits.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/2016/


Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:51 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
I can't see much of a reason for Wallace to come back next year. If I was him I'd go to somewhere like Tenn, Oak, Cin, AZ....basically anyone who offers him a decent contract in an offense where he would not be miscast.
I dunno...maybe he likes it in Minny, but I doubt it.


Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:59 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
i could see wallace with new england. not saying he would have a moss type impact, but i think he would excel with brady, gronk and edelman.


Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:04 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
as much as i would like jeffrey do you hand him 11-13 mil a year with a monster bonus considering his history of injuries? i'd be very leery if the bears let him hit the open market without some sort of tag. when healthy he is a beast though and would be a perfect complement to diggs and wright.


Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:12 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
slapnut19 wrote:
i could see wallace with new england. not saying he would have a moss type impact, but i think he would excel with brady, gronk and edelman.

Yeah...Wallace in NE might be sick. I'd doubt they would pay him what he wants.
And I agree that a big posession type of WR is what the vikes need.


Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17445
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
The Breeze wrote:
slapnut19 wrote:
i could see wallace with new england. not saying he would have a moss type impact, but i think he would excel with brady, gronk and edelman.

Yeah...Wallace in NE might be sick. I'd doubt they would pay him what he wants.
And I agree that a big posession type of WR is what the vikes need.


First, Jeffery is NOT GOING ANYWHERE... he will be franchised if nothing else.
Second, I bet Wallace comes back next season with a revamped contract. The Vikings would be stupid to let him go because he is the only established WR we have. Teddy needs a WR like him, and they will have the entire offseason to work on their chemistry.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2799
Location: Missouri
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
PurpleMustReign wrote:
The Breeze wrote:
slapnut19 wrote:
i could see wallace with new england. not saying he would have a moss type impact, but i think he would excel with brady, gronk and edelman.

Yeah...Wallace in NE might be sick. I'd doubt they would pay him what he wants.
And I agree that a big posession type of WR is what the vikes need.


First, Jeffery is NOT GOING ANYWHERE... he will be franchised if nothing else.
Second, I bet Wallace comes back next season with a revamped contract. The Vikings would be stupid to let him go because he is the only established WR we have. Teddy needs a WR like him, and they will have the entire offseason to work on their chemistry.
Im not saying you're wrong about Jeffrey, but don't forget that they just drafted White with their first overall pick. It's not completely out of the question that they let him go because he doesn't want to be in Chicago/wants more than they will pay him.

I would bet he stays, but I don't think it's something you can write in stone.

I feel a lot more confident in saying Wallace won't be back here. He chose Miami over us because he didn't like the cold weather, and he's having a career worst year. If he's taking a paycut, why not choose his own destination?

_________________
Image


Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:43 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
my top two targets would be eric weddle and kelechi osemele. weddle is 30 so it wouldn't be a long term deal, and would give younger guys like harris and exum more time to develop. osemele has played guard and tackle and would give us a physical monster we could play in several spots. give me those two and a wr in the first round and i'm good.


Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:57 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
PurpleMustReign wrote:
The Breeze wrote:
i could see wallace with new england. not saying he would have a moss type impact, but i think he would excel with brady, gronk and edelman.
Yeah...Wallace in NE might be sick. I'd doubt they would pay him what he wants.
And I agree that a big posession type of WR is what the vikes need.


First, Jeffery is NOT GOING ANYWHERE... he will be franchised if nothing else.
Second, I bet Wallace comes back next season with a revamped contract. The Vikings would be stupid to let him go because he is the only established WR we have. Teddy needs a WR like him, and they will have the entire offseason to work on their chemistry.

Yeah, I didn't mention Jeffery, just that a guy his size and skillset is what this team could use. The 50/50 get the ball guy.
-
The only control the Vikes have over Wallace is if they pay him what he's owed. He wanted out of Miami because the offense didn't look his way enough.
He'd be a nice fit in Dallas. If he doesn't want to stay and restructure, then I hope they can get something in a trade.


Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:00 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7942
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
Wallace would do well with the Panthers I think. They take a lot of deep shots.

Sent using tapatalk. Typos should be expected.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:27 am
Profile
Waterboy

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:17 pm
Posts: 2
Post 2016 Free Agents (Eric Weddle)
Hello all, new to the board here. Been a Vikings fan since I can remember watching with my Dad and Uncles back in 1976.

Not sure if you guys heard the latest but the San Diego Chargers put Eric Weddle on the IR list against his wishes essentially severing ties between the two parties going into next year.

The Vikings were in on this guy back in July of 2011 but at the time had Madieu Williams on the roster and eventually lost out to the Chargers.

Well, he is available this off season and at 30 years old, brings plenty talent, experience and moxy to which ever team signs him.

Sure would love to see the Viking go aggressive and sign this guy.

Harrison Smith is a free agent after the 2017 season . I have no doubt the Vikings will re-sign him as he's worth his weight in gold. However, I'm not so sure about Sendejo.

Would love to hear your thoughts as well as what other free agents you all think the Vikings could target for next year.

Happy New Year to all of you.

R/
Doc


Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:17 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: 2016 Free Agents (Eric Weddle)
I'd love to get Weddle for a coupla seasons while they groom either Harris or a draft pick.
-
Welcome to the board. Cool to see another member from the purple people eater era.


Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:27 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 3565
Post Re: 2016 Free Agents (Eric Weddle)
There is already a similar topic on free agents in the NFL Talk.

_________________
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.


Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:46 am
Profile
Waterboy

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:17 pm
Posts: 2
Post Re: 2016 Free Agents (Eric Weddle)
Thanks guys. I've been searching everyday for articles or blogs concerning off season possibilities and there just aren't any. Babeball is much better at this but oh well. Put 2015 in the rear view mirror and I'm sure the bloggers will start weighing in.

I also would love to see Weddle in a Vikings uniform along side Harrison Smith. Wow! that would be devastating!

As far as the Vikings draft will go this April, I have seen everything from an OT to a WR to a SS. A possible Weddle signing to a 2 or 3 year contract would negate the need to draft that SS from USC (Su'a Cravens) that we've been linked to.

I didn't see the other thread concerning free agents for 2016 so I"ll take a look.

Thanks guys.


Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:27 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: 2016 Free Agents (Eric Weddle)
Dr. FootBall wrote:
Thanks guys. I've been searching everyday for articles or blogs concerning off season possibilities and there just aren't any. Babeball is much better at this but oh well. Put 2015 in the rear view mirror and I'm sure the bloggers will start weighing in.

I also would love to see Weddle in a Vikings uniform along side Harrison Smith. Wow! that would be devastating!

As far as the Vikings draft will go this April, I have seen everything from an OT to a WR to a SS. A possible Weddle signing to a 2 or 3 year contract would negate the need to draft that SS from USC (Su'a Cravens) that we've been linked to.

I didn't see the other thread concerning free agents for 2016 so I"ll take a look.

Thanks guys.

Check out the College Football/ NFL Draft forum....Dead Poet has put in a ton of energy compiling scouting reports on just about every position. Lots of good info there.
Also, as the offseason gets closer, PHP (pondering her percy) will likely put lots of energy into the FA/draft scenarios...he has a real passion for it too. It makes it much more interesting. It's pretty fun to go back and read past draft day threads too. Draft day is easily one of the funner days here~


Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:34 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3225
Post Re: 2016 Free Agents (Eric Weddle)
I'd rather see that $ go to address OL. Its going to be much more important to team success and its much hard to find a real contributor there in a rookie. If there's enough money to address both positions that's fine, but priority #1 is offensive line.


Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:54 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10492
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
Merged Weddle thread into this one (see "post subject" in each post to tell where the thread originated).

My thoughts on 2016 free agents? We better worry more about who we can retain rather than who we can pickup. We have a LOT of FA's come 2017.


Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:21 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 3565
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
S197 wrote:
Merged Weddle thread into this one (see "post subject" in each post to tell where the thread originated).

My thoughts on 2016 free agents? We better worry more about who we can retain rather than who we can pickup. We have a LOT of FA's come 2017.
IMO they had better sign "Dirty Harry" first and foremost! :beerock:

_________________
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.


Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:24 pm
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:00 pm
Posts: 62
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
Weddle is one of my favorite players in the league right now, but I'd be very careful about how much and how long when it comes to a contract for him. He's only 30, but his body has endured a ton of contact. More often than not, he ended seasons as the Chargers' leading tackler. His play was as bad at times in 2015 as it's ever been in his career. It was unclear whether or not he was nursing an injury for portions of it. But as a player, he's incredibly versatile. He can cover better than most free safeties, and in the past he's been more effective in the box than most strong safeties. He and Smith would be amazing together because they could alternate roles at any given time. You just have to worry about him falling off a cliff performance wise with all the mileage on him. Then again, the Vikings front 7 is so drastically superior to anything that the Chargers have fielded in the last decade that he might thrive with the change in scenery.


Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:25 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6592
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
dead_poet wrote:
I'm pretty sure if the Vikings cut Wallace prior to June 1 they'll save his $11.5 million contract. He has zero guaranteed cash left. Those savings will come in handy.

According to overthecap.com, as it stands the Vikings will have a total 2016 cap number of $129,189,903. The 2016 NFL salary cap is expected to be between $147 million and $155 million. I'm not sure where that would rank them but they have one of the best in the business running the team's financials so I'm not concerned. If they want, they can make some day-1 free agent moves.

The highest cap numbers on the team are:

Mike Wallace: $11,500,000 (likely cut)
Matt Kalil: $11,096,000 (extended to lower 2016 cap number)
Adrian Peterson: $11,000,000 (Hmm...)
Everson Griffen: $8,200,000 (no change)
Phil Loadholt: $7,750,000 (hmmm....possibly short extension)
Kyle Rudolph: $7,300,000 (no change)
Linval Jospeh: $6,350,000 (no change)
John Sullivan: $5,833,333 (no change?)

Robison has a $5,050,000 cap hit and with Hunter coming on it'll be interesting what they do with him.

They'll have very little dead money, which is a very good thing.

I expect Harrison Smith to be re-signed this offseason, which will have some cap implications. Potentially Rhodes as well but I'm not sure if they don't wait on him. I would think Newman is re-signed for another one or two years.

Regarding the free agents...

Jeffery isn't going anywhere. Neither is Berry from the Chiefs. At least I'd be surprised if either reached free agency. But I'd take either or both.

I'm looking hard at Kelechi Osemele, Alex Boone, Tashaun Gipson and George Iloka. I have a pipe dream of Rick being shifty and somehow acquiring a (hopefully) re-instated Josh Gordon but Gordon isn't even re-instated yet, he's totally under Cleveland's control in 2016 IF he's reinstated and they lack SO much offensive weaponry that they'd be so dumb to get rid of him and I have no idea what his value would be anyway.


Some very interesting moves that will have to be made. I am not ready to proclaim that any moves SHOULD be made just yet (other than give Harrison a damn extension)!

There is still a remote chance that some of these players step-up in the playoffs (will the real Mike Wallace please stand up?).

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:27 am
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:00 pm
Posts: 62
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
I'd release Wallace without a 2nd thought. The guy's cap number is ridiculous and he hasn't had a 1,000 yard season since 2011. Plus, per Spotrac, there is no dead money associated with releasing him. Let him go and reinvest those funds on the interior of the offense and/or on extending young players who are actually worth it.


Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:42 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23066
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?
Hmm.... (he is only 5'11 though...)

Walter Thurmond III - DB - Eagles

Impending free agent S/CB Walter Thurmond does not expect to be back with the Eagles.

"They only have $17 million in cap space," Thurmond said. "Economically it doesn’t make sense for them. I would love to be here. I love playing here. But that’s the way it is." Thurmond excelled in his first season as a safety, racking up 71 tackles, three interceptions and a fumble recovery which probably should have been ruled an interception. More importantly, Thurmond played 16 games for the first time in his career. Hybrid S/CBs are of growing importance in the NFL, and Thurmond showed he could play the position well. He should have plenty of interest.
Source: Delco Times

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:54 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.