View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Official Officiating Thread 
Career Elite Player

Post Re: The Official Officiating Thread
DK Sweets wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
DK Sweets wrote:
I view the Patriots differently than many people, but I find it hard to believe that anybody really feels good about seeing a potentially historic season derailed by Tom Brady losing his top 4 targets.

Then again, they are still 10-1,so they still have a chance to get their ring.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
No doubt, but I believe that with even one of those 4 players healthy at the end of last night's game they would still be undefeated right now. It's a shame that they had a chance for something special but injuries crushed that possibility.

Don't get me wrong, if they lose, they lose. But I'd rather see them lose because they weren't good enough than because they lost virtually every player that Tom Brady has a rapport with.

Eh. Don't care either way. I didn't think they played anyone yet this year so I had my doubts on how good they really were in the first place.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:07 am
Strong Safety

They need to make some of the rules simple...

Passing, hits on QB.. Teddy two hits this year that I think didn't need to happen

on a blatant dirty hit.. automatic touchdown for other team and two game suspension minimum for player

I know the one crew that cost a game this year had already been suspended for that. last season
if a ref can't do the job.. he is gone IMO

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:32 am
Fenrir

DK Sweets wrote:
I view the Patriots differently than many people, but I find it hard to believe that anybody really feels good about seeing a potentially historic season derailed by Tom Brady losing his top 4 targets.

That's a fair assessment. The Panthers are still in the hunt so all is not lost.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:29 pm
Packers Suck

halfgiz wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:
So is it just a given that no one from the blame the refs crew is going to have a legitimate debate and back up their beliefs under scrutiny? It sure appears that way, id love to hear what calls one believes to be incorrect and why, especially from the Vikes game, but it is starting to look like a fair balanced debate on the matter is a pipe dream and most would rather use this stance as a coping mechanism.

12 -3 penalties and you say the Bears should have been flagged a few more times. What's there to debate? :lol: :lol:

You really think every team is equally as disciplined? So the year the Packers led in penalties, we were being slighted by the refs that year?

Hell, by your logic I can complain about the refs every team my team has more penalties then the other.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:33 pm
Career Elite Player

Found on another forum.

GB near the top on the beneficiary list and at the bottom on the against list.

Automatic First Downs

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:54 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

In light of some of the articles i've been reading regarding the beating officals are taking lately a few thoughts:

First and foremost is the idea that officials should be allowed to throw a flag with the intent of looking at a replay to get a close play correct. Basically, any close play, whether it's a judgement call or not, is up for review, just like in baseball.
It would slow the game some but getting the right call goes a long way to improving the game overall and disperses the whole conspiracy angle.
The refs could relax more and be less controversial if replay was seen as their tool rather than something continually challenging them.
-
Second is fixing some of the really dubious rules so that anyone can interpet them.....most glaringly the 'catch rule'.
Another rule that makes zero sense is the automatic 1st down awarded to offenses in goal to goal situations on PI and defensive holding (not eactly and officiating issue..just bugs the hell outta me) How in the world is it fair to award a new set of downs in that situation? It isn't, it makes zero sense and punishes defenses who may have made brilliantf goal line stands up to the point of the infraction.
Half the distance replay the down.
-
The biggest issue to me is making sure crews are calling infractions consistently...like the encroachment rule when QBs use hard counts, for example.
All in all the refs do a great job IMO...but the technology should be there to help them.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:16 pm
Career Elite Player

Nice post Breeze. I'm not entirely sure if I grew with you on goal line penalties, but I understand the point. Everything else is spot on.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:03 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

DK Sweets wrote:
Nice post Breeze. I'm not entirely sure if I grew with you on goal line penalties, but I understand the point. Everything else is spot on.

The goal line thing never stood out to me until i realized that awarding a team a new set of downs when it was physically and mathematically impossible for them to gain one by yards alone is kind of weird.
-
What struck me about todays game in terms of inconsistency was how each ref will view unnecessary roughness.
That's the one call that will almost always be pure judgement....and I do feel certain QBs as well as their weapons, get the benefit of the doubt there. Not so much a conspiracy as it is just how it seems to be an institutionalized behavior, as evidenced in the ref's comment toward Cam Newton earlier in the year.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:55 pm
Career Elite Player

Someone posted this on another forum.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:01 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

808vikingsfan wrote:

Not sure how that was not holding in the end zone...but McGuire surely thought it was and he didn't say another word after he said so, while the other two lauded GB's brilliance.
funny vid

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:15 pm
Career Elite Player

I actually thought that if anything, the Vikings were the beneficiary of more calls last night than Arizona. Thoughts?

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:53 am
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:

Samkon Gado :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anybody remember that dude on this board years ago that used to be have a username based off Samkon Gado? That dude was a troll, but he was a riot.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:07 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

DK Sweets wrote:
I actually thought that if anything, the Vikings were the beneficiary of more calls last night than Arizona. Thoughts?

It was even to me. The facemask that wasnt cled made me mad, and the fact that they called a td on the run where the AZ's rb knee hit at the two was almost puke worthy, but they did ok.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:
DK Sweets wrote:

It was even to me. The facemask that wasnt cled made me mad, and the fact that they called a td on the run where the AZ's rb knee hit at the two was almost puke worthy, but they did ok.

That TD was overturned, though.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:09 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

DK Sweets wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
DK Sweets wrote:

That TD was overturned, though.

I kow, but it was very obvious... I'm, just glad they have instant replay now.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Packers Suck

Funkytown wrote:

While were on the topic we might as well throw that blatant facemask on Rodgers that was ignored on the Cardinals walk off TD win in the 09 wildcard game, what a rip.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:45 am
Strong Safety

the refs didn't call one on Griffen as well. I don't mind them not calling small stuff as long as they call it both ways ...

I thought the ref crew was very fair in the cardinals game..

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:41 pm
Defensive Tackle

From Gregg Easterbrook, writing for the NY Times:

A Solution for Awful N.F.L. Officiating? Simplify the Rules

Quote:
Officiating gaffes continue to be a story line of the 2015 N.F.L. season, and the problem is not just human error.

Football rulebooks are too complicated and too freighted with zany distinctions: In high school, players must wear shoes, but socks are optional, while in the pros, players must wear socks but don’t need to wear shoes.

And was it a catch or not a catch? In the off-season, the league said, “The language pertaining to a catch was clarified.” The clarification — it’s below — is 158 words and incomprehensible to a Supreme Court clerk.

Rulebook simplification would improve officiating. As for replay review, how about making it blind? If the reviewing official did not know what call was made on the field, he or she wouldn’t have observer bias.

Quote:
Here’s the “clarification” of catch/no catch:

In order to complete a catch, a receiver must clearly become a runner. He does that by gaining control of the ball, touching both feet down and then, after the second foot is down, having the ball long enough to clearly become a runner, which is defined as the ability to ward off or protect himself from impending contact. If, before becoming a runner, a receiver falls to the ground in an attempt to make a catch, he must maintain control of the ball after contacting the ground. If he loses control of the ball after contacting the ground and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. Reaching the ball out before becoming a runner will not trump the requirement to hold onto the ball when you land. When you are attempting to complete a catch, you must put the ball away or protect the ball so it does not come loose.

I agree with Easterbrook: simplify the rules!

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:46 pm
Waterboy

The catch rule is as simple as it's ever been. All the proposals I'm hearing would make it much more subjective and thus less consistent.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2