Tom Brady's mad, and the rest of the NFL is paying the price

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Tom Brady's mad, and the rest of the NFL is paying the price

Post by Mothman »

This is a great read about Tom Brady, written by Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... story.html
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Tom Brady’s hair is hacked off like a zealot monk’s, and he is thin to the point of meanness. He is dieting with a hard focus, converting every morsel he eats into a purposeful burn. It’s one way to beat those slack-bellied and soft-tissued lawyers who torment him.

In Brady’s victory-obsessed state, even a piece of fruit has too much sugar and is foregone in favor of kale. What better answer to DeflateGate — and those who accuse him of participating in a scheme to underinflate footballs — than to play like a cleansed and purified essence? At the age of 38, Brady is destroying the National Football League with the best form of his life, undefeated at 7-0 with 20 touchdowns to just one interception entering Sunday’s game against the Washington Redskins. Each throw seems to have a vengeful velocity that says, “Am I cheating now?”

This is the real outcome of DeflateGate: A guy who had nothing left to gain now has everything to prove. “They did us a favor,” says New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

The events of the past year have delineated Brady’s competitive makeup in a way no Super Bowl victory could. “His reputation, and who he is, was being challenged, and when you challenge Tom Brady in any way, you’re gonna be in for a fight,” says his former college coach at Michigan, Lloyd Carr.
There's much more at the link. If you don't like Brady, you'll probably want to skip it. I thought it was really interesting.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Tom Brady's mad, and the rest of the NFL is paying the p

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:This is a great read about Tom Brady, written by Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... story.html
There's much more at the link. If you don't like Brady, you'll probably want to skip it. I thought it was really interesting.
Never liked him. His latest "poisoning our kids", health obsessed rant made me like him A LOT less. He is a mascot of shallow modernity.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I thought is was a great read. Thanks for sharing, Jim.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:I thought is was a great read. Thanks for sharing, Jim.
You're welcome. I'm glad someone else enjoyed it! It was really interesting to learn more about his history and what drives him.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I know he grew up in the Bay Area and Joe Montana was his hero, growing up.. His family were 49ers
season ticket holders and he wanted to play for the 49ers, most of all. Brady and Peyton are both
super at game prep and practice. I know Brady and Belicheck pick out the game plan together and
the plays most likely to work.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I feel sometimes that I will retire before Brady does.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I feel sometimes that I will retire before Brady does.
I honestly wish they wouldn't have had all the scandals .. I mean they play football almost
perfectly..they didn't probably need too..

SF was the last team I saw be that dominant... I probably would have been a 49er fan but I didn't
want to be a front runner band wagon fan...guy. I watched in the seventies some but I was what
8 years old or something.

1998 minnesota offense could have been like that but the team split up too quick and too much
of the offense went to Randy
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Mothman wrote:
Patterns everywhere:

after 9 games in 2009, Favre had 17 TD's and 3 INT's. He had only been 39 for the past 4 games. Only 10 months older than Brady.

After 9 games in 2014, Manning had 30 TD's and 7 INT's. He was ~4 months older than Brady is now or 6 months younger than Favre was

2009 39yr old Favre approximately like 2015 38 yr old Tom Brady and 2014 38 year old Manning
2010 Favre approximately like 2015 Manning

Note, Manning faded the last 6 games and playoffs throwing only 10 TD's and 6 INT's in his final 7 games that season. Favre not so much, throwing 21TD's and 6 INT's in his final 8 games.

Will Brady follow the pattern, or form a new standard?
Craig S
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

cstelter wrote: Patterns everywhere:

after 9 games in 2009, Favre had 17 TD's and 3 INT's. He had only been 39 for the past 4 games. Only 10 months older than Brady.

After 9 games in 2014, Manning had 30 TD's and 7 INT's. He was ~4 months older than Brady is now or 6 months younger than Favre was

2009 39yr old Favre approximately like 2015 38 yr old Tom Brady and 2014 38 year old Manning
2010 Favre approximately like 2015 Manning

Note, Manning faded the last 6 games and playoffs throwing only 10 TD's and 6 INT's in his final 7 games that season. Favre not so much, throwing 21TD's and 6 INT's in his final 8 games.

Will Brady follow the pattern, or form a new standard?
Well, he just lost his most-targeted receiver for at least the remainder of the regular season so that's not going to make it easy for him to remain so productive.