Around the League - Week 8

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Jordysghost
Packers Suck
Posts: 2992
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Jordysghost » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Raptorman wrote: It's not a Rodgers problem. It's a team problem. The team has depended on Rodgers to win games for them for 4+ years. They forgot how to win without Rodgers behind center. People can talk all they want about Peyton Manning, but Denver is winning as a team, not as one player. Same with the Vikings. They are winning as a team. I have been saying it for years, stop Rodgers, stop the Packers. If Rodgers throws 1 TD or less on the road the Packers lose 70% of the time.
Our D ranking from 09, 10, and this year, prove that not really to be the case, not to mention when we went 2-2-1 with Flynn to win the division title.

The fact that we need Rodgers to throw for 1 or more TDs on the road to win, is more based on our lack of running game until 2013, and the fact that we base our entire offensive attack around Rodgers to the point where if he doesn't throw 1 or more TD, something is going quite wrong, its less because it is our ONLY option to win, and more because when you have Aaron Rodgers, you dont just say #### it we wont use him to the fullest extent.

Lacy was winning us games on an injured ankle with teams loading the box against him 2013 with Flynn at QB, and we went 2-2-1 and won the division, are you really saying we can do that #### with Flynn but not Rodgers? Its just, we dont lean on the run like we could (Which is McCarthys biggest flaw, imo, he calls way more rushing attempts then most people think, but he doesn't seem to have a great tendency to stick with the run when we really need to, and it can be somewhat frustrating), because again, when you have Aaron Rodgers, you USE him, you typically try to let him win the game for you.

Hell, even this year our running game is ranked far higher then our passing game, it seems like you are taking a stat out of context to support a point that has many other statistics repudiating it.
0 x
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Mothman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Raptorman wrote: It's not a Rodgers problem. It's a team problem. The team has depended on Rodgers to win games for them for 4+ years. They forgot how to win without Rodgers behind center. People can talk all they want about Peyton Manning, but Denver is winning as a team, not as one player. Same with the Vikings. They are winning as a team. I have been saying it for years, stop Rodgers, stop the Packers. If Rodgers throws 1 TD or less on the road the Packers lose 70% of the time.
How many teams win on the road more than that if their QB throws one TD or less?
0 x

User avatar
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3206
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Sebastian, FL

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Raptorman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:11 pm

Mothman wrote: How many teams win on the road more than that if their QB throws one TD or less?
Percent of road games that teams lose when QB throws 1 or fewer TD's.
P. Manning 44%
Brady 53%
Big Ben 47%
0 x
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Mothman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Raptorman wrote: Percent of road games that teams lose when QB throws 1 or fewer TD's.
P. Manning 44%
Brady 53%
Big Ben 47%
Thanks but I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. Do those percentages reflect the performance of the Colts, Broncos, Patriots and Steelers over the course of the entire careers of those 3 QBs or just this season? What about other teams? You just gave me 3 players and 3 percentages. :confused:
0 x

User avatar
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3206
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Sebastian, FL

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Raptorman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Mothman wrote: Thanks but I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. Do those percentages reflect the performance of the Colts, Broncos, Patriots and Steelers over the course of the entire careers of those 3 QBs or just this season? What about other teams? You just gave me 3 players and 3 percentages. :confused:
Those reflect the games those QB were starters for in their careers in which they threw 1 or 0 TD's, on the road. Each player had a different number of games played, hence the percentage is easier to do. This did not include pre or post season games. They appeared to be spread out evenly over the time periods in question.
0 x
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Mothman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Raptorman wrote:Those reflect the games those QB were starters for in their careers in which they threw 1 or 0 TD's, on the road. Each player had a different number of games played, hence the percentage is easier to do. This did not include pre or post season games. They appeared to be spread out evenly over the time periods in question.
Thanks. That gives me a little more context. :)

I'm guessing those players/teams are more the exception than the rule. Do you know if that's correct?

There's no doubt GB leans heavily on their passing game but more often than not, I think if a team can make their opponent one-dimensional and not cave to that one dimension (or self-destruct with turnovers, poor special teams coverage, etc.) they're going to win.
0 x

User avatar
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3206
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Sebastian, FL

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Raptorman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:04 pm

Mothman wrote: Thanks. That gives me a little more context. :)

I'm guessing those players/teams are more the exception than the rule. Do you know if that's correct?

There's no doubt GB leans heavily on their passing game but more often than not, I think if a team can make their opponent one-dimensional and not cave to that one dimension (or self-destruct with turnovers, poor special teams coverage, etc.) they're going to win.
For those players and teams, Yes they are correct. So far those are the only ones I have done so far. When I have time, I will do more and put it in it's own thread.
0 x
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966

Jordysghost
Packers Suck
Posts: 2992
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Jordysghost » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:32 am

Mothman wrote: Thanks. That gives me a little more context. :)

I'm guessing those players/teams are more the exception than the rule. Do you know if that's correct?

There's no doubt GB leans heavily on their passing game but more often than not, I think if a team can make their opponent one-dimensional and not cave to that one dimension (or self-destruct with turnovers, poor special teams coverage, etc.) they're going to win.
We certainly haven't been leaning on our passing game this year, dont get me wrong Rodgers has been making due but our running game outranks the passing game by a mile.
0 x
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011

Jordysghost
Packers Suck
Posts: 2992
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Jordysghost » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:35 am

Raptorman wrote: For those players and teams, Yes they are correct. So far those are the only ones I have done so far. When I have time, I will do more and put it in it's own thread.
You just kind of ignored my entire counterpoint, but ok.


I think putting it in its own thread is a fine idea. :D
0 x
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Mothman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:30 am

Raptorman wrote:For those players and teams, Yes they are correct. So far those are the only ones I have done so far. When I have time, I will do more and put it in it's own thread.
I didn't realize you were calculating this on your own. Thanks for the effort!
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Around the League - Week 8

Post by Mothman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:35 am

Jordysghost wrote:We certainly haven't been leaning on our passing game this year, dont get me wrong Rodgers has been making due but our running game outranks the passing game by a mile.
I should have been more clear. I wasn't just referring to this year since the conversation seemed to be about a longer time span than that. Hhowever, even though their running game has achieved a higher ranking than their passing game so far this year, they still seem to lean on the passing game to score TDs.
0 x

Post Reply