Harvin to retire?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Harvin to retire?

Post by dead_poet »

Jordysghost wrote: Yea he was impressive for sure talent wise, but still not what I would call 'amazing', jmo.

Ill take Randall Cobb and everything about him in a hot second over Harvin, and as good as he is i wouldn't call him amazing. Idk. jmo.
I don't know. In terms of pure athleticism and on-the-field play, a healthy Harvin is pretty freakish. As time goes on it's harder and harder to remember his outstanding plays in a Vikings uniform. With Rodgers throwing to him I think he could've put up superior numbers to Cobb. But Cobb certainly has Harvin beat as far as staying healthy and not being a nutcase.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

i wouldn't call him amazing. Idk. jmo.
Yeah, if Rodgers had Harvin and he was healthy I think your opinion might have been different. Harvin's attitude was piss poor, but he shot off the line like he was blasted out of a cannon, had pretty good hands, and threw his entire body at a defender to get those extra yards.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Cliff wrote: Yeah, if Rodgers had Harvin and he was healthy I think your opinion might have been different. Harvin's attitude was piss poor, but he shot off the line like he was blasted out of a cannon, had pretty good hands, and threw his entire body at a defender to get those extra yards.
I disagree, I don't think Harvin would fare even equal to how Cobb has.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote: He's an amazing TALENT, but never learned how to pit it together on the field after his rookie year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
He is amazing. Freakish talent. But anger issues and injuries kept him off the field too often. Much better player then Cobb, but Cobb was overall a better receiver. A healthy PH with Rogers would have been insane. Rogers could make me look like an average NFL receiver lol, he would have made PH unstoppable.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Jordysghost wrote: I disagree, I don't think Harvin would fare even equal to how Cobb has.
I usually try to make well though out responses to differing opinions.

In this case, I came up with this: PFFFFT lol
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Why DK? The stats show that if anything, Cobb is the better player, nevermind the whole terrible attitude and migraines that Percy has.

I think this is a case of a talented player being a little bit romantically embellished by te team that drafted him, again, Cobb is Percy without the things that make Percy undesirable.
Last edited by Jordysghost on Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: He is amazing. Freakish talent. But anger issues and injuries kept him off the field too often. Much better player then Cobb, but Cobb was overall a better receiver. A healthy PH with Rogers would have been insane. Rogers could make me look like an average NFL receiver lol, he would have made PH unstoppable.
Nope, nothing to suggest he is much better then Cobb, at all.

Percy had Favre in Favre's best season as a pro, and it was all downhill from there..

Cobb is a better boundary WR no doubt, but just as good in the slot and on returns (Even though we don't use him as the returner anymore as a way to protect a key offensive cog)

We actually were interested in Percy this offseason if Cobb did not sign with us, thankfully he did, so Percy gets to go waste another teams time. If we wanted to match Percy with Rodgers, we could, and would. But I dont it would be even equal to as effective as Rodgers and Cobb and the staff seems to agree.

To be honest, It's hard to understand why you guys apparently find Harvin so desirable, considering he has been completely and utterly irrelevant since 2012, and is now contemplating retirement..
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Nope, nothing to suggest he is much better then Cobb, at all.

Percy had Favre in Favre's best season as a pro, and it was all downhill from there..

Cobb is a better boundary WR no doubt, but just as good in the slot and on returns (Even though we don't use him as the returner anymore as a way to protect a key offensive cog)

We actually were interested in Percy this offseason if Cobb did not sign with us, thankfully he did, so Percy gets to go waste another teams time. If we wanted to match Percy with Rodgers, we could, and would. But I dont it would be even equal to as effective as Rodgers and Cobb and the staff seems to agree.

To be honest, It's hard to understand why you guys apparently find Harvin so desirable, considering he has been completely and utterly irrelevant since 2012, and is now contemplating retirement..
I see a lot of sense in your logic, IMO Cobb and most your wide outs would look like Jennings, when he left Rodgers
,and your system..Jennings was not great, and maybe Jordy Nelson is the one exception. Packers wideout's in almost
any other situations would suffer greatly.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Nope, nothing to suggest he is much better then Cobb, at all.

He actually had his best season with Ponder at QB, after Favre had retired.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Jordysghost wrote: To be honest, It's hard to understand why you guys apparently find Harvin so desirable, considering he has been completely and utterly irrelevant since 2012, and is now contemplating retirement..
I don't think anybody is calling him desirable. I certainly am not. He's a player with a bad attitude who hasn't been effective most of his career due to injury. I'm just saying had that not been the case, he could have been one of the best WRs in the league. It's hard to overstate his physical ability when he first came into the league before all of the injuries and before he had a chance for the attitude to come through.

I can't see why any team would want him at this point. There's no question at this point which receiver a team would rather have and who the better player is. I think most people are just talking about potential. It's something that doesn't come through in stats partially because the guy never started a full 16 games. Watching him while fully healthy was exciting though.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Well the Bills put Harvin on IR. So, one more year, one more team down. He only has 28 more teams to go.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Raptorman wrote:Well the Bills put Harvin on IR. So, one more year, one more team down. He only has 28 more teams to go.
I cannot imagine anyone signing him unless they are really desperate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Harvin was just a spoiled brat and a dopehead. retire and go smoke some more weed
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I loved that he threw a 10lb plate at Childress.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Laserman wrote:Harvin was just a spoiled brat and a dopehead. retire and go smoke some more weed
That sounds fantastic. I wish somebody would offer that to me...