NFC North Division Strengths/Weaknesses

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

NFC North Division Strengths/Weaknesses

Post by Jordysghost »

Because it has come up a few times over in the main forum, I thought it would be a good idea to have a place where we can discuss strengths/weaknesses of the each NFC North team as they develop in season.

Im not good as this thread making thing, so i am just going to start it off with a simple question that Im sure should spark a worthwhile discussion/debate.

Being that we are the only two relevant teams in the NFC North this year, or at least, it looks like it is heading that way, I feel it appropriate to ask you guys, how do you hope to go about defeating the Division leading Packers come our first matchup at TCF?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: NFC North Division Strengths/Weaknesses

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote:Because it has come up a few times over in the main forum, I thought it would be a good idea to have a place where we can discuss strengths/weaknesses of the each NFC North team as they develop in season.

Im not good as this thread making thing, so i am just going to start it off with a simple question that Im sure should spark a worthwhile discussion/debate.

Being that we are the only two relevant teams in the NFC North this year, or at least, it looks like it is heading that way, I feel it appropriate to ask you guys, how do you hope to go about defeating the Division leading Packers come our first matchup at TCF?
Honestly? I hope they hit Rodgers hard, late, high, and brutally until he hopefully can't complete the game...but that's the way football was played before we all became eunuchs. Given the rules as they are, pretty much all they can do is hope Rodgers is having an off day.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: Honestly? I hope they hit Rodgers hard, late, high, and brutally until he hopefully can't complete the game...but that's the way football was played before we all became eunuchs. Given the rules as they are, pretty much all they can do is hope Rodgers is having an off day.
Yea, I hear you. But Buffalo put the smackdown on Rodgers, unfortunately, last year, and it worked out alright for them, it took great secondary play from them and for some reason Kyle Orton has our number.

Still, I don't know how much hitting him would help, unless he God forbid got injured. He is pretty used to getting hit, given all of the terrible Offensive Lines he has had in the past.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Because it has come up a few times over in the main forum, I thought it would be a good idea to have a place where we can discuss strengths/weaknesses of the each NFC North team as they develop in season.

Before I say anything, else, I have to say I think the Bears might be relevant within the division as a spoiler, although I don't see them contending for the division. The Lions appear doomed.

I think the Packers have reached a point where you don't beat them strategically so much as you just have to win the matchups. Blitz Rodgers too much and he'll burn you. The Vikes will need to get to Rodgers, primarily using their front 4 but with some selective blitzing. They have to minimize big plays, control the Packers running game and force them to be one-dimensional. Failing to stop the run will lead to big trouble.

Offensively, they must maintain commitment to the run. They have to be patient because Peterson's not only their best weapon, they'll want to "eat' clock and keep GB's offense on the sidelines. I'm not saying they have to be one-dimensional but putting the game in Bridgewater's hands, asking him to drop back 45-50 times and ending up in a shootout is a recipe for losing against GB.

That's a long-winded way of saying the Vikes will have to outplay them. :)
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think the Lions have more talent than the Bears but worse coaching .. I have always liked Fox
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!