PFF gives Aaron Rodgers a negative grade for MNF performance

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: PFF gives Aaron Rodgers a negative grade for MNF perform

Post by Raptorman »

Packer fan are ready to storm the gates. Someone called their QB average.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote:Packer fan are ready to storm the gates. Someone called their QB average.
I think it is moreso the fact that calling a QB average after he had a game like Rodgers is quite dumb.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Jordysghost wrote: I think it is moreso the fact that calling a QB average after he had a game like Rodgers is quite dumb.
They make some decent points though;
The other three touchdowns, however, were passes thrown short of the end zone on speed outs to Randall Cobb. Were they bad throws? No, they were expected throws with the credit going to Cobb for fighting through contact or defeating the coverage with speed to the edge. That makes these zero-graded throws: Three passes that have a massive effect on Rodgers’ statistical performance but do not increase his grade.

However, those touchdown passes aren’t the story of what takes Rodgers’ grade from a grade with a plus in front of it to a grade with a minus in front of it. The story of what takes Rodgers’ grade below zero are two plays that you aren’t likely to see mentioned anywhere else today, but are taken into account of in a play-by-play grading system.

1. Rodgers had a fumble, which displayed poor pocket management, with 8:39 remaining in the second quarter. That play earned a negative grade.

2. With 12:58 remaining in the third quarter, Rodgers forced a pass that Josh Mauga could and possibly should have been returned for six points for Kansas City. If Mauga makes this interception, it would have tacked an ugly interception onto Rodgers’ stat line. Instead, Rodgers maintained his interception-less streak at Lambeau field, but it is a negatively graded play regardless. These are poor plays on Rodgers’ part that bring his game grade down that won’t show up on any widely quoted statistical analysis of his performance.
They're grading him as if the stat line was 24/35 333 yards, 2TDs, 1INT, 1FUM.

It really comes down to if you agree with two things; should "almost" INTs count against a QB? They represent a bad throw, sure, but an non-int is a non-int. That's questionable to me.

The 3 TDs off of short throws where the WR did the work makes more sense. Even then, Rodgers had to place the ball so that the runn had a chance to do something with the ball. In the end, I can at least agree that they should count for less in a play-by-play analysis like what PFF does.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Im sure they are consistent in their grading system, and I really dont have a problem with giving a detraction for Almost Ints and Fumbles, but I will say I find it non sensical to punish a QB for short YAC centric passes, we run a WCO for #### sake.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pretty much tells you all you need to need about analytics - it is worthless information. I don't give a damn who it is, if a quarterback throws five TDs and wins the game, they shouldn't get a negative grade.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Pretty much tells you all you need to need about analytics - it is worthless information. I don't give a damn who it is, if a quarterback throws five TDs and wins the game, they shouldn't get a negative grade.
My sentiments exactly.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Passer rating is still king, every other QB metric is an absolute croc of crap.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Analytics aren't absolutely worthless - I'd still prefer an argument based off these "advanced" stats compared to "traditional" stats. But no number is going to ever tell the hidden story - the unseen checks, breaking off your assignment correctly, covering another teammates mistake, etc.

Numbers suck. Analytics suck a little less.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:
Numbers suck. Analytics suck a little less.
:rofl:
well said.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Analytics (I don't think everyone is 100% clear on what analytics are........) can be hugely useful, depending on their application (kinda like...anything?).

Saying otherwise is ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PFF 'grades' are not analytics. They're subjective assessments of a performance.

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

frosted wrote:PFF 'grades' are not analytics. They're subjective assessments of a performance.

I blame Hardcore. He said analytics and I just repeated it. He could have called them "glitterpuppies" and I would have repeated it.

(Never accept responsibility. Always deflect blame.)
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

DK Sweets wrote:I blame Hardcore. He said analytics and I just repeated it. He could have called them "glitterpuppies" and I would have repeated it.

(Never accept responsibility. Always deflect blame.)
Haha. I re-read what I typed. I apologize if it came off as assy, lol.