Danny Shelton a force

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11582
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Danny Shelton a force

Post by jackal » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:21 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... the-making

This was the guy I really wanted and it's looking like the he is a major force bull rusher..

IMO this guy could be as disruptive as John Randle was for us inside, someday ...

Hopefully Waynes is a stud.. I know Rhodes took a while to develop.

"Danny Shelton changes the math -- he takes on two offensive linemen every time," Browns inside linebacker Karlos Dansby told Jones. "Usually you get a one-on-one situation. But you have to put two people on him. If you put one guy on him, it's going to be hard to get a first down if you do."
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24538
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by dead_poet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm with you. I would've preferred Shelton to Waynes but our defensive tackle depth was/is pretty good and pretty young. Still...those Vince Wilfork/Pat Williams guys don't come around all the time.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by Purple bruise » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:45 pm

dead_poet wrote:I'm with you. I would've preferred Shelton to Waynes but our defensive tackle depth was/is pretty good and pretty young. Still...those Vince Wilfork/Pat Williams guys don't come around all the time.
As you mentioned DT position (Joseph, Johnson and Floyd is pretty good, in fact a whole lot better than good and CB was a must.
People need to be patient with Waynes because IMO he will follow Rhode's path (first year big learning curve and then the next year will be solid to great) :thumbsup:
0 x
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11582
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by jackal » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Still...those Vince Wilfork/Pat Williams guys don't come around all the time.
I think he is going to be closer to a John Randle guy in the end.. He is very quick and can't split defenders
while reaching out to grab a guy and bring him down with one arm.

With Floyd Shelton Griffen and Robison /Crighton/Hunter .. my God, we would have been sacking and driving QB's
nuts..
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by Purple bruise » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:10 pm

jackal wrote: I think he is going to be closer to a John Randle guy in the end.. He is very quick and can't split defenders
while reaching out to grab a guy and bring him down with one arm.

With Floyd Shelton Griffen and Robison /Crighton/Hunter .. my God, we would have been sacking and driving QB's
nuts..
And still be seeing that left side CB position (maybe the worst in the league) continue to give up huge plays.
To each their own though. I loved the Waynes pick and it will pay-off big time when Rhodes and he morph into a pair of big, strong, fast shutdown corners dealing with the NFC North.
0 x
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by DK Sweets » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:29 am

Purple bruise wrote: And still be seeing that left side CB position (maybe the worst in the league) continue to give up huge plays.
To each their own though. I loved the Waynes pick and it will pay-off big time when Rhodes and he morph into a pair of big, strong, fast shutdown corners dealing with the NFC North.
Josh Robinson wasn't even close to the worst left CB in the league last year. He's had a pretty decent year.
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3542
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by fiestavike » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:23 pm

DK Sweets wrote:Josh Robinson wasn't even close to the worst left CB in the league last year. He's had a pretty decent year.
I like Josh Robinson :confused:

He started bad...and I mean BAD. He then improved, and improved some more. He had a very bad game against Chicago and Brandon Marshall last year. He's not a guy that should be covering Brandon Marshall. But that doesn't mean he hasn't developed into a pretty good CB. I'll be curious to see if he makes his way back from injury and where he ultimately winds up.
0 x

User avatar
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by Purple bruise » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:57 pm

fiestavike wrote: I like Josh Robinson :confused:

He started bad...and I mean BAD. He then improved, and improved some more. He had a very bad game against Chicago and Brandon Marshall last year. He's not a guy that should be covering Brandon Marshall. But that doesn't mean he hasn't developed into a pretty good CB. I'll be curious to see if he makes his way back from injury and where he ultimately winds up.
Josh Robinson has gotten beaten as badly as any corner since Chris Cook. He may/might work out as a "slot corner" or nickle back but please do not tell me that he is a good corner back :? :?
0 x
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3542
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by fiestavike » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:59 pm

Purple bruise wrote:
Josh Robinson has gotten beaten as badly as any corner since Chris Cook. He may/might work out as a "slot corner" or nickle back but please do not tell me that he is a good corner back :? :?
I thought he played pretty good last season. Don't you think he's improved a lot since his first year?
0 x

User avatar
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by Purple bruise » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:14 pm

fiestavike wrote: I thought he played pretty good last season. Don't you think he's improved a lot since his first year?
He absolutely has improved BUT the coaches and management IMO would not have spent a high 1st round pick on Waynes if they thought that he would turn out to be a starting quality CB.
0 x
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11582
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by jackal » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:27 pm

I think in time Waynes and Cook will make a really good tandem of Corners ...

I think out team would have stood a better chance or winning a in the next two or three
seasons with Shelton.. a much better chance
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4044
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Northeast, Iowa
Contact:

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by Funkytown » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:55 pm

jackal wrote:I think in time Waynes and Cook will make a really good tandem of Corners ...
Dream big. :P
0 x
Image

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by DK Sweets » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:15 am

Funkytown wrote: Dream big. :P
:lol:
0 x

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Count me in as one of the people who thought that the team should have drafted Shelton too...

Wanyes has a lot of work to do. Hopefully, he pans out.
0 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37407
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by Mothman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:15 pm

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Count me in as one of the people who thought that the team should have drafted Shelton too...
I liked that idea too. I think he could end up being a very good NFL player.
0 x

Post Reply