Yahoo’s NFL Deal Will Put Online TV to the Test

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

WHEN THE BUFFALO Bills play the Jacksonville Jaguars in London this October, there will be a lot more than either team’s bragging rights riding on the game. The matchup—and how the public receives it—also stands to have a massive influence on the future of television as we know it.

That’s because today Yahoo announced it had landed exclusive rights to broadcast the game, making it the first time a regular-season NFL game will be live-streamed for free to online viewers around the world.
http://www.wired.com/2015/06/yahoo-nfl/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Yahoo’s NFL Deal Will Put Online TV to the Test

Post by Cliff »

The NFL is missing out on a *ton* of revenue by not offering a streaming service to people in the U.S. I'm guessing it's due to contract restrictions with TV networks ...
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Sunday Ticket has been offered as a streaming service the last three years.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

DK Sweets wrote:Sunday Ticket has been offered as a streaming service the last three years.
Not really in the USA. Only if you meet certain criteria. You can't just go to NFL.com and sign up, nor can you just pay for a single game. The NFL really needs to do it more ala carte like the MLB does.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Crax wrote: Not really in the USA. Only if you meet certain criteria. You can't just go to NFL.com and sign up, nor can you just pay for a single game. The NFL really needs to do it more ala carte like the MLB does.
Correct ... you still have to have Direct TV to get their streaming service or be in a very few select places. The NFL *does* offer a streaming service but you have to be out of the US. They don't offer any ala carte services for single games.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Cliff wrote: Correct ... you still have to have Direct TV to get their streaming service or be in a very few select places. The NFL *does* offer a streaming service but you have to be out of the US. They don't offer any ala carte services for single games.
I dont that is right, i dont think you need Direct TV to get sunday ticket on a console or PC.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Jordysghost wrote: I dont that is right, i dont think you need Direct TV to get sunday ticket on a console or PC.
They did that for one year (and I bought it!). Specifically, the version of Madden that came out in 2013 allowed you to access direct TV's streaming service for free with a special addition. The following year they offered it only to a restricted audience;

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ng-options
NFL fans who have wanted DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket but have been stymied by satellite restrictions are about to get a reprieve.

DirecTV announced on its website the introduction of NFLSundayTicket.tv, which allows subscribers to stream live, out-of-market games without requiring a dish. Fans can stream the contests on laptops, tablets, smartphones or using a gaming console.

Packages range from $199.99 for laptop, computer and phone services (with a student discount available) to $329.99 for the full package on all compatible devices and gaming consoles, including DirecTV's Red Zone Channel and new Fantasy Zone channel.

Of course, there are restrictions.

The service is only available to those who: 1) live in apartment buildings where DirecTV service is unavailable; 2) live in metro New York, Philadelphia or San Francisco; or 3) attend college at Michigan (Ann Arbor), Alabama, Washington, Texas (Austin), USC, Florida, Colorado (Boulder), Syracuse, Ohio State or Harvard.

While some residing outside those restricted areas will still bemoan having to pay for DirecTV in order to utilize Sunday Ticket, it's a game changer for those in urban areas unable to partake due to regulations.