Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fined

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fi

Post by DK Sweets »

NFL Inconsistent in Reacting to False Reports

I feel bad even stirring the pot on this one, but I do think it leaves the league in bad light (again).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:NFL Inconsistent in Reacting to False Reports

I feel bad even stirring the pot on this one, but I do think it leaves the league in bad light (again).
I agree and kudos to Florio for pointing it out. Thank for the link.

By the way, Goodell is still taking hits in the media:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/tom-bra ... er-goodell
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Did the League announce it was staying with the four games ? for Brady ??
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Did the League announce it was staying with the four games ? for Brady ??
Not yet. I'm sure you won't miss it when they finally announce it.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Inside Slant: New NFL policies undermine Tom Brady suspension

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... suspension
Brady has appealed his four-game suspension for being "at least generally aware" of the deflation scheme and might file a federal lawsuit if it is not vacated. Reports of an expanded policy have circulated for months, so if he hasn't already, Brady should use this revelation as clear evidence -- and even a tacit admission -- that the process used to punish him was insufficient and lacking the documentation necessary to justify his suspension.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Tom Brady - QB - Patriots

The league has upheld Tom Brady's four-game suspension.

After a summer of waffling, commissioner Roger Goodell has decided to hold firm on Brady's shockingly-severe punishment. It means the matter is now headed to federal court, where Brady will sue the league. Brady will reportedly "seek an injunction that will allow him to play while his case works its way through the courts." Buried in the league's statement was confirmation that Brady destroyed his cellphone. As it stands right now, Jimmy Garoppolo will be starting against the Steelers, Bills, Jaguars and Cowboys.
Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brady apparently had his cell phone destroyed on the day he was to be interviewed by the Wells commission:
https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/626098940207833088
‏@TomPelissero Goodell's letter: "Mr. Brady's direction that his cellphone (and its relevant evidence) be destroyed on or about March 6 is very troubling." Goodell says evidence supports his findings that Brady "participated in a scheme to tamper with the game balls" - stronger than Wells Report
@JasonLaCanfora Goodell finds that Brady "was aware of" and "took steps to support" the illegal deflating of footballs
@AlbertBreer Decision also points out that neither Jastremski nor McNally were called as witnesses by the Brady side.
@GoesslingESPN Whatever the reason, destroying evidence would seem to do some degree of damage to whatever claims of innocence a person might have.
@AlbertBreer Brady communicated to the commissioner that he routinely destroys his phone for security reasons.
--Sure, Tom.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NFL's 20-page decision to uphold Tom Brady's suspension: http://tinyurl.com/prtpd9y
‏@TomPelissero "I find that the full extent of the decline in pressure cannot be explained by environmental, physical or other natural factors. Instead, at least a substantial part of the decline was the result of tampering." Goodell going way beyond "more probable than not" here."
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Bloomberg's Scott Soshnick reports the NFL has asked the U.S. District Court in Manhattan to "confirm" Tom Brady's four-game suspension.

In other words, they're suing Brady before he can sue them. Brady's 2014-15 decision to slightly under-inflate his footballs has resulted in an all-out war with the league. The SportsBusiness Journal's Daniel Kaplan speculates the league's suit is designed to get the matter out of judge David Doty's jurisdiction in Minnesota. Doty has often been a thorn in the NFL's side. Brady's case is looking a bit shaky amidst the revelation he intentionally destroyed his phone on the day of his meeting with investigator Ted Wells.

Source: Scott Soshnick on Twitter
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Just something I saw. Higher than I would have thought, I guess. :P
NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork

74% of fans say they AGREE with Tom Brady's suspension being upheld.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

What a joker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

DK Sweets wrote:Image
I would just like to make sure people look at this again. If 75% of fans agree with this suspension, three quarters of fans are nutso.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fined

Post by frosted »

DK Sweets wrote:I would just like to make sure people look at this again. If 75% of fans agree with this suspension, three quarters of fans are nutso.
One can agree with Brady's suspension, and not agree with Hardy's though, no?

In any case, Hardy served a de facto 15 (14?) game suspension last year, right? Similar the the one Adrian served for his crime.

But that's beside the point I guess. Point is, agreeing with Brady's suspension (which is equatable to a PED suspension, trying to gain an advantage illegally), doesn't mean you support domestic violence or anything to do with Hardy.

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

frosted wrote: One can agree with Brady's suspension, and not agree with Hardy's though, no?

In any case, Hardy served a de facto 15 (14?) game suspension last year, right? Similar the the one Adrian served for his crime.

But that's beside the point I guess. Point is, agreeing with Brady's suspension (which is equatable to a PED suspension, trying to gain an advantage illegally), doesn't mean you support domestic violence or anything to do with Hardy.

That's a fair point, and I honestly forgot that he missed so many games last year.