NFL coaching staffs & turnover

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

NFL coaching staffs & turnover

Post by dead_poet »

I found this a bit shocking. I knew there was a lot of turnover but still.
@SigmundBloom My math could be a little off, but I believe only 7 teams have had same HC/OC/DC (KC/IND/PHI/CAR/NO) since 2013. only 2 since 2012 (NE/GB)
SigmundBloom Here's the wikipedia list of OCs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ac ... ordinators … DCs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ac ... ordinators … - no trio predates 2012 - instability is norm
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: NFL front offices & turnover

Post by Mothman »

It sounds like you're referring more to coaching turnover than to front office (ie: executive) turnover, correct? I can't say the numbers surprise me, although they are unfortunate. Winning and winning fast has become such a priority in the NFL that when it doesn't happen, there's usually an outcry to fire a coach (or coaches) and I think sometimes coordinators get offered up as scapegoats so head coaches can avoid getting fired. It's an unfortunate situation because I think some good coaches get canned due to impatience, insufficiently talented rosters, bad luck or a combination of the 3.

Of course, some coaches undoubtedly deserve to replaced too...
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: NFL coaching staffs & turnover

Post by The Breeze »

Part of the turnover of OCs and DCs comes from other teams hiring them away too. I think it's unrealistic to expect to keep all 3 together for long if they are successful.

HC is the one that matters IMO....but there is still not many with long tenure.

The Bengals have had the same HC for quite some time.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The Breeze wrote:Part of the turnover of OCs and DCs comes from other teams hiring them away too. I think it's unrealistic to expect to keep all 3 together for long if they are successful.

The Vikings could be in a good position in that regard. Zimmer is effectively running the D and Norv is a great OC, but has proven himself not a great HC over the years. I'm not sure he'd be at the top of anyone's list for head coaches at this stage. The Vikings should stick with this group for the long haul in my opinion, but I don't typically favor coaching changes.

I think continuity is worth more than switching to the next young coordinator. Its just an illusion, like the guy facing a midlife crisis and thinking the hot young number is going to solve his problems, when the old dependable battle axe is more likely to deliver in the clutch. If you find a good coach/wife sticking with her through the highs and lows is likely to produce a better result than jumping ship every time the water gets a little choppy.

Forgive my horrible analogy.

peace.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The Breeze wrote:Part of the turnover of OCs and DCs comes from other teams hiring them away too. I think it's unrealistic to expect to keep all 3 together for long if they are successful.

I was going to make the same point, sometimes the turnover is a good thing (at least for the coaches).

In the case of the Vikings, I don't think they've been too hasty with their decision with perhaps the exception of Bevell since he has a ring. But even with Bevell I don't think he's all that special. Tomlin was hired as HC so there's nothing you can do there. Chili, I don't think anyone thinks he's HC material and Musgrave is probably in the same bucket at OC. Frazier is arguably the only one where fans may disagree but he was D-coordinator for a number of years before taking over as HC so he had plenty of time with the organization. Plus, he's had a rather dismal first year performance in Tampa, which doesn't help his case.

Hopefully the Vikings have finally found the right mix and we can stop the carousel.