49ers

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Dirtyswabby
Starter

49ers

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Apparently on twitter an inside source is saying a shocking move is coming for a big name player on the 9ers. Lots of speculation this may infact be a major trade. Speculation around Willis either being cut or traded
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Re: 49ers

Post by Dirtyswabby »

According To twitter, Willis is set to retire.......
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The Niners are going downhill fast ...I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't last in that division next season
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@JasonLaCanfora 49ers announce they will hold a Patrick Willis retirement press conference this afternoon
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Huh. I thought it was injury-related.
Willis is walking away at age 30 on his own terms, a rarity in professional sports. A source told CSN Bay Area that, "Patrick is not having fun. He doesn’t want to play football."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

49ers ILB Chris Borland has retired from the NFL after one season.

Borland, the 49ers' third-round pick last year, is calling it quits because of safety issues in the league, as he's concerned about the long-term effects of head trauma. "I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland said. "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk." Borland has been diagnosed with two concussions in his lifetime, but may have suffered others. He took over as a full-time starter in Week 7 as a rookie and racked up 107 tackles, two interceptions, and a sack while grading out as PFF's No. 4 inside linebacker. His and Patrick Willis' retirements put the 49ers in a severe bind at the position.

Source: ESPN.com
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

What the actual crap? The 49ers went from being stacked to being laughable faster than any team I can think of in recent memory.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

DK Sweets wrote:What the actual crap? The 49ers went from being stacked to being laughable faster than any team I can think of in recent memory.
Yeah, it's safe to say they are no longer too legit to quit. :P
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I'm telling you, Goodell is ruining the NFL. He isn't listening to his players and their concerns. It will be interesting to see where the league is at in 5 years. This is the fifth "young" retirement this offseason.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I'm telling you, Goodell is ruining the NFL. He isn't listening to his players and their concerns. It will be interesting to see where the league is at in 5 years. This is the fifth "young" retirement this offseason.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
You've hit the nail squarely on the head ... unfortunately it won't lead to a concussion for Roger Goodell.

Here's a guy who claims to card about safety, yet pushes Thursday night football, laughably claiming it is safer than Sunday football. He's the guy who wants to extend the season to 18 games, putting players at even more risk. Yes, he'll likely reach his stated goal of $25 billion in revenue, but at what cost?

I applaud these players for putting their lives ahead of their bank accounts. Hopefully it leads to Roger Goodell eventually being shown the door, although it seems doubtful the NFL would jettison its cash cow.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

To put their free fall into perspective: the 49ers have lost 13 starters from the Super Bowl that was played two years ago. Obviously, this doesn't even include Alex Smith or Jim Harbaugh.

Out of every single WR, CB, and S on that roster, the only player that remains is Tramaine Brock.

At one point, it looked like they had an embarrassment of riches at RB and MLB. Now they don't know what they have...and the answer might not be a positive one for that fan base.

This is a team that one year ago had been to three straight NFC Championship games. Now they are in complete disarray, play in the same division as the team that has represented the NFC in two straight Super Bowls, and aren't even the favorite to finish second in their division. It's crazy to think how quickly the league changes.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Football is a team sport, period... to have the ownership, management and head coach at war
will destroy a team, without a doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Justin Smith retries, as well...

That's what six or seven starters that left due to retirement, or Free Agency..
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

All this, and i still find the 49ers to be far more talented and capable then they showed last year, I think they could maybe sneak into that last playoff spot next year.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I don't think that at all. I view the 49ers as one of the few "locks" on our schedule.