2015 NFL Trade/FA Thread

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2015 NFL Trade/FA Thread

Post by dead_poet »

Bears agreed to terms with OLB Pernell McPhee on a five-year, $40 million contract.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I know some people really hate PFT, but I found this interesting:

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/san-fran-surprise-coming-monday/

It sounds like Patrick Willis might be going somewhere (that's my speculation, anyways). I would take a Peterson for Willis trade...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DK Sweets wrote:It sounds like Patrick Willis might be going somewhere (that's my speculation, anyways). I would take a Peterson for Willis trade...
Now this is interesting. I want long-term stability at the position and Willis is 30. How many more good years does he have in him? Of course, the same could be said of Peterson. Looks like Willis is signed for the next two years with roughly $9 million/year. He's played all 16 games once the last five years and is coming off toe surgery (which I don't think would be a long-term concern). Ray Lewis played until he was 37 (though he was clearly not the player he was the last couple of years). Willis can cover as well as any ILB in the game (when healthy). Having him man the middle with Barr on one side would be pretty imposing. Now, if this is possible and you were Rick, would you take the straight-up trade or try to squeeze out a pick too?

Edit...welp.
@Rand_Getlin Source: the #49ers are bracing themselves for the loss of LB Patrick Willis. Expecting him to retire.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

WHAAAAT?!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@nfldraftupdate On Patrick Willis, in November it was revealed he had been dealing w
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@SethWickersham Frank Gore was Scot McCloughan's proudest pick. Pat Willis was his greatest. Justin Smith was his best FA signing. All gone, in 12 hours.
Wow. Gore likely leaving via free agency and Willis & Justin Smith retiring. SF losing some big names in addition to one of the best coaches in the league earlier. I wonder if all this plunges them back into pre-Harbaugh darkness again soon. Will they make the playoffs this year?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

DK Sweets wrote:You mean the Rams?
yeah, I confused the Julio Jones deal with RG3. In fact, the Jones deal is an example of why I think trading into the top picks is a bad move. Julio is great but he wasn't the missing piece.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

The Breeze wrote: yeah, I confused the Julio Jones deal with RG3. In fact, the Jones deal is an example of why I think trading into the top picks is a bad move. Julio is great but he wasn't the missing piece.
I couldn't agree more. He's one hell of an asset, but they gave up too much to get him and it didn't result in a trophy.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

@DK
Seems like they made it to the NFCCG one year against SF....I can't recall. They are not a team that I follow closely, but they have certainly free fallen in the past 12 months. I imagine their defense has something to do with it.

---
Even though the Skins got RG3, it cost them too much IMO, considering he's broken. I think they finally have all their picks beginning this year? Now it looks like they need another QB.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Willis is making a big-time mistake. Wouldn't be surprising to see him return to the game after a year off.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Willis is making a big-time mistake. Wouldn't be surprising to see him return to the game after a year off.
I wonder if he just figures the window is closed in SF, he's made money and he still has his mental health?
I'm a little surprised we haven't seen more guys hang it up on the early side due to the head trauma stuff.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Willis is making a big-time mistake. Wouldn't be surprising to see him return to the game after a year off.
I truly mean no offense by this statement, but why do you think you know what's better for him than he does? I'm certain he knows his health and financial situations better than you do.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

DK Sweets wrote:I truly mean no offense by this statement, but why do you think you know what's better for him than he does? I'm certain he knows his health and financial situations better than you do.
Just saying.

Everyone who gets to play in the NFL is extremely fortunate. Those who rise to Patrick Willis' level are even more fortunate and the situation is a statistical outlier (relatively speaking). He is only 30, and while I don't know his health record (HIPAA protection), IMO, it is foolish to throw away a chance of life a time to maximize personal wealth, prestige, and above all, personal experience.

Then again, I don't know Mr. Willis personally. Maybe he is hurting physically and/or mentally. Maybe he is truly passionate about another endeavor. He is a strong willed individual to just retire in the prime of his football career. I wish him nothing but the best in his life moving forward, but I would be remiss if I didn't offer my opinion that he is making a slight mistake retiring right now.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brandon Browner - DB - Patriots

The Boston Herald reports the Patriots are allowing CB Brandon Browner to "explore his value around the league."

Monday is the deadline for the Pats to exercise Browner's $1.9 million team option. If they do, Browner then takes home a $2 million roster bonus on Tuesday. He'd come with a $4.8 million cap number for 2015, something the Pats want to reduce. It sounds like they'll cut him loose absent a reduction. Cutting Browner would be a sign the Pats are planning for Darrelle Revis to return for a second season in New England.
Source: Boston Herald
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:Brandon Browner - DB - Patriots

The Boston Herald reports the Patriots are allowing CB Brandon Browner to "explore his value around the league."

Monday is the deadline for the Pats to exercise Browner's $1.9 million team option. If they do, Browner then takes home a $2 million roster bonus on Tuesday. He'd come with a $4.8 million cap number for 2015, something the Pats want to reduce. It sounds like they'll cut him loose absent a reduction. Cutting Browner would be a sign the Pats are planning for Darrelle Revis to return for a second season in New England.
Source: Boston Herald
Brandon Browner can still play in this league. New England would be foolish to cut him - there is no guarantee Revis will resign in New England.