The Super Bowl Thread

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: The Super Bowl Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

My prediction for the first game next season, Pittsburgh at New England. They have an easy schedule next year, almost not fair.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Our legacy is powerful!

Even when we aren't in the SB, we have (ex) Vikings coaches making bone headed calls to keep our (ex) players from getting a ring (Kevin Williams, T Jack, etc.)!

That's a tough (poison) pill to swallow!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: MAYBE on 3rd down. But when you have Marshawn Lynch, to me, you just don't do that, IMO.
I'm with you. You have a guy Lynch precisely because he's such an effective, dependable weapon down there. He just pounded it down to the 1 yard line. Giving him another carry or two to finish the job was a no-brainer.

By the way, Dan, Pete Carroll said he and Bevell made the call together.

I have to say, I know a lot of people dislike Brady but he's one of the greatest QBs I've ever seen. His cool head and precision passing enabled the Pats to come back from 10 down in the 4th quarter. The Pats had a great game plan too.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Our legacy is powerful!

Even when we aren't in the SB, we have (ex) Vikings coaches making bone headed calls to keep our (ex) players from getting a ring (Kevin Williams, T Jack, etc.)!

That's a tough (poison) pill to swallow!
:rofl:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Man the announcers and reporters were brutal and laughing at Bevell and Carrol for the call ...

They were interviewing Robert Kraft and he was trying his best not to laugh openly about the play call

Lynch is going to leave for sure(IMO) and they are going to have to pay Wilson 150 million

Seattle is in for a Free Agency CBA wake up call really soon
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The injury to Lane was a big one.

It was embarrassing the way it ended. Every player that threw a punch should have been ejected.

Still shocked that they tried a pass.

Imo, another tainted SB victory for the Pats. Dont get me wrong. I thought they were the better team today, but the fact is they were caught altering equipment to gain an advantage against the colts. We really dont know how many other games they got away with it.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

While Carroll accepted blame for the play call, Bevell said that Lockette could have gone stronger to the ball, according to the Seattle Times.
And there is the difference between real coaches and someone like Bevell. Passing the blame. What a coward.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Mothman wrote:
I'm with you. You have a guy Lynch precisely because he's such an effective, dependable weapon down there. He just pounded it down to the 1 yard line. Giving him another carry or two to finish the job was a no-brainer.

By the way, Dan, Pete Carroll said he and Bevell made the call together.

I have to say, I know a lot of people dislike Brady but he's one of the greatest QBs I've ever seen. His cool head and precision passing enabled the Pats to come back from 10 down in the 4th quarter. The Pats had a great game plan too.
Obviously, Brady is a great QB. But I still don't know why there's a "best QB" debate because the Browns had a guy who played before we were born whose passing numbers, relative to the opposition of his day, dwarfed that of anyone else who has ever played. He's the Babe Ruth of his position. And he won numerous rings.

Anyway, back to the call. Yes, I would have given it to Lynch. But I can comprehend the concept of not giving it to him. What I can't comprehend is throwing a quick pass to the middle of the field. If you want to waste time and see if a pass is available, then roll out Wilson and let him see if there is a wide open receiver and if not, throw it away. What you don't do is call a play where the execution on the part of both the QB and the receiver has to be picture perfect under extreme pressure -- and if it's not, the ball can easily get deflected and picked off (or, a guy can step in front of it and pick it off, as we saw).

A couple of my friends were trying to defend the call after the game once they heard the explanation, but they weren't defending this particular pass play -- only that a pass wasn't an insane option. Fine, a pass wasn't an insane option, but merely a stupid option. THAT pass, however, was an insane option.

I saw on this thread that Bevell threw his receiver under the bus. But that's precisely the point -- too many things have to go right on a pass play like that to make it work, and disaster looms.

As for Lynch, they don't deserve him up there.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

The way I see it is if you give it to Lynch and he doesn't get in or he fumbles it you'd get a million people saying "Why would you give it to Lynch!? Everyone knew it was going to Lynch, try a quick pass. Would have been an easy TD!"
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DanAS wrote:Obviously, Brady is a great QB. But I still don't know why there's a "best QB" debate because the Browns had a guy who played before we were born whose passing numbers, relative to the opposition of his day, dwarfed that of anyone else who has ever played. He's the Babe Ruth of his position. And he won numerous rings
I think there's a debate because it's ultimately a subjective determination and the rules have changed so dramatically over the years. That said, Graham definitely gets overlooked too often in the "greatest QB of all time" discussions.
Anyway, back to the call. Yes, I would have given it to Lynch. But I can comprehend the concept of not giving it to him. What I can't comprehend is throwing a quick pass to the middle of the field. If you want to waste time and see if a pass is available, then roll out Wilson and let him see if there is a wide open receiver and if not, throw it away. What you don't do is call a play where the execution on the part of both the QB and the receiver has to be picture perfect under extreme pressure -- and if it's not, the ball can easily get deflected and picked off (or, a guy can step in front of it and pick it off, as we saw).

A couple of my friends were trying to defend the call after the game once they heard the explanation, but they weren't defending this particular pass play -- only that a pass wasn't an insane option. Fine, a pass wasn't an insane option, but merely a stupid option. THAT pass, however, was an insane option.
Well said.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

IrishViking wrote:The way I see it is if you give it to Lynch and he doesn't get in or he fumbles it you'd get a million people saying "Why would you give it to Lynch!? Everyone knew it was going to Lynch, try a quick pass. Would have been an easy TD!"
Had they given it to Lynch twice, NOBODY would have second guessed it -- unless the first play gained not an inch. It's like turning the ball over to the hottest reliever in the league when a save is on the line. Nobody second guesses that decision.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

By the way, the Doug Baldwin poop-a-football TD celebration showed an incredible lack of class.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

The Super Bowl Thread

Post by DK Sweets »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:By the way, the Doug Baldwin poop-a-football TD celebration showed an incredible lack of class.
XD

I was wondering what he was doing. I can't help but chuckle now...it's not funny, but it makes me laugh. I don't know if that makes sense.

Did anybody see Jeremy Lane's arm? ####.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

DKSweets wrote:XD

I was wondering what he was doing. I can't help but chuckle now...it's not funny, but it makes me laugh. I don't know if that makes sense.
It does. But I guess everybody is different. I mean, you score a TD in the biggest game in the world, and THAT'S how you want to be remembered?

Not me.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DKSweets wrote:Did anybody see Jeremy Lane's arm? ####.
I just saw it in a wrap on the way to the cart. I figured that couldn't be a good sign.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly