An Open Letter To Charles Barkley & Co. from Josh Gordon

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: An Open Letter To Charles Barkley & Co. from Josh Gordon

Post by DK Sweets »

I think that was incredibly well written. I'm not entirely sure how much I believe that it was his only time drinking, but considering it was in the presence of teammates who would obviously be like "Bro, seriously?" Makes it seem believable that he did assume he was free to drink again.

I'm not proud to admit that a few years ago I found myself in a situation where I was caught with a large amount of marijuana and I had to go through drug testing and court appearances as well. His account of his feelings seem 100% relatable and I wish him the best of luck.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I get his point, but there are some simple facts .. He has violated league drug policy, what six times ?

He only gets tested for drinking, because of previous DUI's

he has failed drug tests, for weed and cocaine(he admits)

Josh Gordon you are a professional athlete in the NFL, with a pro bowl talent ..

That makes you fair game for Charles, Steven A. Smith and other swinging buddy with a blog...

I'm sorry your parents did a lousy job, and you grew up poor. That does not give you an excuse
to smoke, sniff, and drink all you want. Furthermore most people that miss work unexcused, who
work very hard to make; a very very small percentage of your earnings, lose their jobs after one
or two mistakes. So pardon me if I don't any mercy for you, at all. The simple fact is you won the
lottery, and you are screwing it up, royally. If you don't control your vices there is a very large
chance you will end in prison, or dead. I wish you success; however, your probably going to be
a sad tale, to tell future rookies in the NFL, in the near future.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Cocaine has never been associated with Josh Gordon's name and he has violated the policy 4 times...one of those being while he was in college. If you don't like him that is fine, but please stick to the facts.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Deny, deny, deny. The first thing someone with this kind of problem does is deny that they really have a problem. This is what I see when I read this... Deny, deny, deny, excuse, excuse excuse... Sure he admits he made some mistakes, but he doesn't really accept any responsibility for them, IMHO he just makes excuses for why he is the way he is, and denies that he really has a problem.

YMMV...
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I thought he had tested positive for cocaine
in college as well ... Four times or six times
in a couples years.. Second hand smoke ??
LIKE WHEN BILL CLINTON DIDNT INHALE ???

the guy is lying to himself and everyone else

I bet you in ten years; prison or dead for Gordon.

I just read an article from DAWGPADDY
site that says Gordon failed 7 drug tests
in college as well
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

You heard wrong. Consult the Google.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... for-browns

3 fails. Drug not disclosed

Also, about halfway through the article they talk about what a productive tight end Aaron Hernandez is and how he seemed to have put his troubled past behind him :shock:
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

IrishViking wrote:Also, about halfway through the article they talk about what a productive tight end Aaron Hernandez is and how he seemed to have put his troubled past behind him :shock:
:rofl:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

They both just need another chance. Maybe a year in the CFL will turn things around. :twisted:
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Demi wrote:They both just need another chance. Maybe a year in the CFL will turn things around. :twisted:
Why make this post? I just don't get it. Did the idea of taking a shot on Duron upset you so much that you had to make him an example of why people never change?

Murder =/= drug use =/= immaturity,. We're talking about three different types of people and you just lumped them together.

You're the most frustrating poster on this board because you have really great points sometimes, and then at other times you make the most senseless posts. You're much more similar to these players wasting their potential than you'd like to admit.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

it's kind of odd how he got the call to take the pee test right after he got off the plane. it's almost like someone knew he was drinking and wanted him caught.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

it's kind of odd how he got the call to take the pee test right after he got off the plane. it's almost like someone knew he was drinking and wanted him caught.
First off D.K. Sweets I respect you and your opinion here ...

I have nothing personal against Josh Gordon .. I know three guys, who played semi pro football.. all their lives
they were so frustrated, they were an inch too small, or an inch too slow. guys like Gordon won the lottery and
blow it.. That frustrates me, a lot.

The second thing is DUI's I have lost several friends to drunk drivers. I really think they should charge people
with murder. The guy that killed my friend, got sixty days in jail.

I know these guys are very young and have tons money; that most of us at that age would be doing
a lot of dumb things.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

jackal wrote:First off D.K. Sweets I respect you and your opinion here ...

I have nothing personal against Josh Gordon .. I know three guys, who played semi pro football.. all their lives
they were so frustrated, they were an inch too small, or an inch too slow. guys like Gordon won the lottery and
blow it.. That frustrates me, a lot.

The second thing is DUI's I have lost several friends to drunk drivers. I really think they should charge people
with murder. The guy that killed my friend, got sixty days in jail.

I know these guys are very young and have tons money; that most of us at that age would be doing
a lot of dumb things.
I agree that DUIs (especially those that lead to murder) should be treated incredibly serious. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, and I'm sorry if it seems that way. It just gets under my skin when additional things get attached to people's name when there isn't any evidence for it to happen. Basing off of my own experiences, I know what it's like to get a reputation that's even worse than what you have done. When you've earned a bad reputation and you're already upset with yourself and then people embellish how bad of a person you've been, it's so frustrating and defeating.