2014 season putting too much pressure on young receivers?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2014 season putting too much pressure on young receivers?

Post by dead_poet »

The question has been weighing on my mind. So what do you think? Like the draft that gave us Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco to Andrew Luck, RGIII's rookie year and the early success of Russell Wilson...it seems as though the window of patience to "groom" a potential starting "franchise" quarterback is shrinking. Likewise, I'm wondering if 2014's rookie wide receivers providing nearly unheard-of production as a class will begin to put even more pressure on rookie receivers in 2015 and beyond. It seems as though previous to this year the foregone conclusion with receivers was "it takes three seasons" before the light may click on. Do you think that's still true or will expectations shift again?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: 2014 season putting too much pressure on young receivers

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:The question has been weighing on my mind. So what do you think? Like the draft that gave us Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco to Andrew Luck, RGIII's rookie year and the early success of Russell Wilson...it seems as though the window of patience to "groom" a potential starting "franchise" quarterback is shrinking. Likewise, I'm wondering if 2014's rookie wide receivers providing nearly unheard-of production as a class will begin to put even more pressure on rookie receivers in 2015 and beyond. It seems as though previous to this year the foregone conclusion with receivers was "it takes three seasons" before the light may click on. Do you think that's still true or will expectations shift again?
I think it was just a particularly good WR class. There have been just as many drafts where I can think of 3-4 WRs going early and only one pans out. I don't think anybody is losing sight of that.

That said, I think the idea of giving Rookie's time altogether is going out the window. With the salary cap and rookie wage scale it behooves a team to find out if they have a good player or not as soon as possible. If you can get them up to speed in their first year you'll have 2-4 years of a good player making a fraction of what they will when they hit the open market.

If you play it slow with a WR (or any position, really) and give him three seasons you'll only get about a year of that player at his best before he demands a much higher salary. On the other hand, just because a team tries to rush a player doesn't mean it'll happen. It might still take that long for a player to get it, especially a more raw talent like Patterson for example.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think the league got spoiled with Randy Moss having so much success and essentially changing the game the way he did in his rookie year that everyone is trying to get that out of their rookie WRs. Beckham Jr. Can't hold Moss's jock strap as far as i am concerned, but he is good enough to make people excited about the game.
I think, starting with Moss, patience started getting smaller and smaller with young WRs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I think the league got spoiled with Randy Moss having so much success and essentially changing the game the way he did in his rookie year that everyone is trying to get that out of their rookie WRs. Beckham Jr. Can't hold Moss's jock strap as far as i am concerned, but he is good enough to make people excited about the game.
I think, starting with Moss, patience started getting smaller and smaller with young WRs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Also I think the kids much like "I wanna be like Mike" they want to be Moss or Rice or CC.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The league has set the rules in favor of the passing game...

defenders can do about half of what they were able to do 10-15 years ago

wide outs should breaking records given the current NFL rules and game play
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!