Packers at Seahawks

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Re: Packers at Seahawks

Post by soflavike »

Did the Packers hire Denny Green as a special consultant for the playoffs? :lol:

I gotta say that watching the Packers collapse was intensely satisfying. Yes, I know it's cheap Schadenfreude, but that's all we have right now, and I'll take it.

Bwwwwaahaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Packers suck!
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

One of my best friends has season tickets behind the Wild bench, and one of his friends had the seats last night. The result is freaking awesome:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hoc ... nship-loss

This man should get an award. :rock:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The Breeze wrote:After reading Barnwell's column at Grantland, I have to think that the only real play where a GB player choked was on the onside kick....check that, the 2 point conversion was a poor defensive play too.
I think Burnett sliding after picking the ball with ~5 minutes remaining in the game was a MAJOR brain fart. Dude had plenty of room to return that and could have gotten it into at least field goal range, but instead he went down and then in came the Packers offense to basically run 3 plays and punt. While the other stuff gets a lot of attention, that play to me was the one that stands out because the Seahawks really did hand the Packers the win with that one, but the Packers collectively refused to take it.

I don't take anything away from the Seahawks - just like the Saints against the Vikings in 2009, they took advantage of the miscues and won the game despite being largely outplayed for the majority of the game. But still, it's pretty hard to take Wilson seriously when he's talking about God being on their side and setting up the dramatic finish. The Packers more blew it than the Seahawks earned it IMHO, but like I said, I'll be rooting for them over "Mr. Run-The-Score-Up" Belicheat. Still going deep against the hapless Colts late with a big lead? Classic Patriots under Belicheat.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Packers at Seahawks

Post by DK Sweets »

VikingLord wrote:I think Burnett sliding after picking the ball with ~5 minutes remaining in the game was a MAJOR brain fart. Dude had plenty of room to return that and could have gotten it into at least field goal range, but instead he went down and then in came the Packers offense to basically run 3 plays and punt. While the other stuff gets a lot of attention, that play to me was the one that stands out because the Seahawks really did hand the Packers the win with that one, but the Packers collectively refused to take it.

I don't take anything away from the Seahawks - just like the Saints against the Vikings in 2009, they took advantage of the miscues and won the game despite being largely outplayed for the majority of the game. But still, it's pretty hard to take Wilson seriously when he's talking about God being on their side and setting up the dramatic finish. The Packers more blew it than the Seahawks earned it IMHO, but like I said, I'll be rooting for them over "Mr. Run-The-Score-Up" Belicheat. Still going deep against the hapless Colts late with a big lead? Classic Patriots under Belicheat.
You just criticized the Packers for playing a two score lead safe and then the Patriots for not taking a lead for granted against the "hapless" Colts in the AFC Championship game. You can't have it both ways.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I just watched the replay last night and the long and short of it for me is that GB only scored one TD in spite of getting 5 takeaways.

Seattle really came alive in the 3rd qtr and just made the plays when they needed them.

Rodgers missed 4 easy throws in the 4th qtr and Dix dropped a pick 6. Halfway through the 4th qtr GB had less than 200 yds of total offense.

The play by Burnett was significant cause it seemed like the whole defense just shut it down mentally with 5 minutes left.

There were lots of individual plays that hurt GB...but they just got outplayed when it mattered. And if history is any indicator, playoffs and championship games are the worst places to coach conservatively.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

DKSweets wrote:You just criticized the Packers for playing a two score lead safe and then the Patriots for not taking a lead for granted against the "hapless" Colts in the AFC Championship game. You can't have it both ways.
You can't be serious. Pats are up 40+ to 7 with little time left and they're still going deep. There is a difference between piling on and staying aggressive, and Belichek has crossed that line repeatedly throughout his time in New England.

I don't think had Green Bay remained aggressive late against the Seahawks I would have considered that trying to pile on. Heck, my main criticism is directed at the defender Burnett who could have and should have attempted to return the Wilson pick with about 5 minutes left. That's hardly advocating the typical piling on that we see from Belicheat.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: You can't be serious. Pats are up 40+ to 7 with little time left and they're still going deep. There is a difference between piling on and staying aggressive, and Belichek has crossed that line repeatedly throughout his time in New England.

I don't think had Green Bay remained aggressive late against the Seahawks I would have considered that trying to pile on. Heck, my main criticism is directed at the defender Burnett who could have and should have attempted to return the Wilson pick with about 5 minutes left. That's hardly advocating the typical piling on that we see from Belicheat.
In the end, it's pro football, not a big time college team piling on an inferior small school opponent. Whether it's right or wrong for a team keep running their full offense in the latter stages of a blowout, if a pro team doesn't want the points piled on against them, it's up to them to do something to stop it.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: In the end, it's pro football, not a big time college team piling on an inferior small school opponent. Whether it's right or wrong for a team keep running their full offense in the latter stages of a blowout, if a pro team doesn't want the points piled on against them, it's up to them to do something to stop it.
I have no pity for teams getting piled on. I think the taboo against it may stem from the fact that you have to play those same guys year in and out in the pros, although that's quite different in the FA era.

I also see it as a tactic Belichek might use to destroy the Colts confidence and stay in their heads. 4 times in a row the Pats have demolished the Colts who are a team that they will potentially meet often in the playoffs going forward if Luck stays healthy.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: In the end, it's pro football, not a big time college team piling on an inferior small school opponent. Whether it's right or wrong for a team keep running their full offense in the latter stages of a blowout, if a pro team doesn't want the points piled on against them, it's up to them to do something to stop it.
True. I just think it's low-class is all. It also unnecessarily risks the health of starters as frustrated players on the opposing team may indeed "do something to stop it" that results in an injury to a key player on the team doing the blowing.