Rod Marinelli Could Be Heading to Tampa Bay

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Rod Marinelli Could Be Heading to Tampa Bay

Post by frosted »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -to-tampa/

Interesting. I wonder if they would keep Leslie on or if he'd get fired.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Rod Marinelli Could Be Heading to Tampa Bay

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -to-tampa/

Interesting. I wonder if they would keep Leslie on or if he'd get fired.
Good question. That defense greatly improved after the bye week so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to fire Frazier but Marinelli and Smith have history. It will be interesting to see if this rumor has legs.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Good question. That defense greatly improved after the bye week so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to fire Frazier but Marinelli and Smith have history. It will be interesting to see if this rumor has legs.
Smith and Frazier have history too. I can see them getting rid of Frazier. An improvement of what their defense was for the first 6 weeks isn't saying much.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Smith and Frazier have history too. I can see them getting rid of Frazier. An improvement of what their defense was for the first 6 weeks isn't saying much.
It was a significant improvement. If I'm not mistaken, their defense held opponents to an average of about 19 or 20 points a game after the bye.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Is Jason Garrett under contract next season?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Mothman wrote: It was a significant improvement. If I'm not mistaken, their defense held opponents to an average of about 19 or 20 points a game after the bye.
It was an improvement, so what's more likely? Lovie took over defensive play calling or Frazier, whose defense philosophy has sucked for years, suddenly got that much better mid season? There had to be some sort of intervention. Just like when we had an intervention to send Frazier packing. We saw an immediate and vast improvement in our defense too. Now with rumors of Frazier being replaced, it more than hints at that being the case. Guys don't get fired or demoted too often after showing significant signs of improvement. Frazier is a nice guy, but he's a bum as a coach, and he's running out of friends who can hire him.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Reignman wrote:It was an improvement, so what's more likely? Lovie took over defensive play calling or Frazier, whose defense philosophy has sucked for years, suddenly got that much better mid season? There had to be some sort of intervention. Just like when we had an intervention to send Frazier packing. We saw an immediate and vast improvement in our defense too. Now with rumors of Frazier being replaced, it more than hints at that being the case. Guys don't get fired or demoted too often after showing significant signs of improvement. Frazier is a nice guy, but he's a bum as a coach, and he's running out of friends who can hire him.

Agreed.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

While it's certainly possible that Marinelli could reunite with Smith in tampa Bay, I'm guessing Mike Florio was just click-baiting with the story last night. PFT is still a rumor mill, after all...

Conflicting reports on Rod Marinelli
Pro Football Talk reported that Marinelli is expected to become Tampa Bay's defensive coordinator. That makes plenty of sense because Marinelli and Tampa Bay coach Lovie Smith are close friends.

But a league source told ESPN.com that the report was "pure speculation." Smith told The Tampa Bay Times that he had not spoken to Marinelli and there was no validity to the story.
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said "We have every intention of keeping Rod Marinelli in his current role as defensive coordinator."

It will be interesting to see what happens but I'm thinking Marinelli could make more money, and have more job security on a better team, if he stays in Dallas.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Why on earth would Rod Marinelli leave Dallas to take the same job in Tampa Bay?

Jerry Jones has said he's going to take care of all his coaches, so I doubt money would be the draw. He's coaching a young defense on a good team with great facilities in an amazing city. And he'd leave for ... Tampa?

I'll believe this when I see it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Why on earth would Rod Marinelli leave Dallas to take the same job in Tampa Bay?

Jerry Jones has said he's going to take care of all his coaches, so I doubt money would be the draw. He's coaching a young defense on a good team with great facilities in an amazing city. And he'd leave for ... Tampa?

I'll believe this when I see it.

Indeed. A lateral move to a stinky team. Not buying it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote: Indeed. A lateral move to a stinky team. Not buying it.
I'm not either. The timing of the PFT's report screams "rumor" to me.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that Marinelli has greed to stay with the Cowboys. i ahven't seen any confirmation of the story yet:
Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli will remain with the Dallas Cowboys, having agreed to a new three-year deal with the team, according to sources.

The former Detroit Lions head coach told Cowboys coach Jason Garrett when the season ended that he would return if Garrett wanted him back, according to a source. Garrett said at a news conference Tuesday that Marinelli wanted to stay and that he wanted Marinelli back.

"I would absolutely like to see Rod Marinelli stay here," Garrett said Tuesday morning. "He's done a great job for us. … I express that to him on a daily basis."

Marinelli's contract expired after the 2014 season, as did many on the Cowboys' coaching staff, and the team has an exclusive three-day window to negotiate new deals before the assistants can talk to other teams beginning Thursday.
Meanwhile, the following was posted on ESPN's Bucs blog yesterday:
There’s one small flaw with all this speculation about Rod Marinelli joining the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as the defensive coordinator.

The Bucs already have a defensive coordinator.

That’s Leslie Frazier's job, and I don’t see the Bucs parting ways with him. Much of the speculation about Marinelli comes because of his close friendship with coach Lovie Smith. That’s all true and they have plenty of history together.

But Frazier and Smith also have a strong relationship. In addition to the one year they already have coaching together, they developed a healthy respect for each other back when they were head coaches in the NFC North.

Smith isn’t the kind of guy to dump someone he respects to bring in his buddy, and Frazier didn’t do a bad job in 2014. The defense ended up ranked No. 25 overall, but it showed dramatic improvement over the second half of the season.

If Marinelli leaves Dallas, I still could see him ending up with the Bucs. But I don’t think it would come at Frazier’s expense.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I saw somewhere yesterday that Marinelli signed a new 3 year deal with Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote:I saw somewhere yesterday that Marinelli signed a new 3 year deal with Dallas.
That seems to be the case: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas ... owboys.ece

So much for PFT's report about Marinelli going to the Bucs...

Jim