Divisional Round Playoff Discussion

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Divisional Round Playoff Discussion

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I actually thought Denver got a good spot. And I don't know that there will be a good enough view to change it.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

And Payton Manning continues to be the greatest "regular season" quarterback. Post-season? Eh, not so much. :rofl:
Mike

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Well I stand corrected on my prediction a few minutes ago, but what a win for Indy.

This will fuel the fire for those (including myself) who think that Peyton had a tendency to choke in the postseason. He was never the same QB except for the year they won the Super Bowl. For all of his records, and all of his success inteh regular season, he never had any real success in the postseason.

In the "Which Manning would you want on your team" question, I would go with Eli, and it isn't even close. And this is something I have been saying for years, since the Giant's second Super Bowl victory over New England a few years ago.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Kansas Viking wrote:And Payton Manning continues to be the greatest "regular season" quarterback. Post-season? Eh, not so much. :rofl:
I just posted the same thing. He really seems to have much more issues in the Post Season thn in the Regular Season.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I just posted the same thing. He really seems to have much more issues in the Post Season thn in the Regular Season.
I'm just loving it today. Both the Cowboys and the Donkeys go down on the same day. :thumbsup:
Mike

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

what a bad game that was.

Manning is finis IMO...wow the guy just can't hit downfield.

I still think Dez made the catch in the earlier game. He got robbed IMO......ce la vie. It was an incredibly dumb play call IMO. 4th and a couple with the season on the line and the leagues top runner and you go 30yds downfield into a jumpball situation?
Maybe before the half or somewhere when you know you will get the ball back.....but at the end of the game? jeesh! Hahah Dallas!

And I like the.... Seahawks they have a #### defense and a coach who thinks outside the box.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Kansas Viking wrote:And Payton Manning continues to be the greatest "regular season" quarterback. Post-season? Eh, not so much. :rofl:
Yeah on Sports Center it just said he's been 1 and done 9 times now, which is the most in the Super Bowl era. For reference, Denny Green was 1 and done only 4 times xD. And then he was 2 and done 4 consecutive times (1997-2000).
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

The Breeze wrote:what a bad game that was.

Manning is finis IMO...wow the guy just can't hit downfield.

I still think Dez made the catch in the earlier game. He got robbed IMO......ce la vie. It was an incredibly dumb play call IMO. 4th and a couple with the season on the line and the leagues top runner and you go 30yds downfield into a jumpball situation?
Maybe before the half or somewhere when you know you will get the ball back.....but at the end of the game? jeesh! Hahah Dallas!

And I like the.... Seahawks they have a #### defense and a coach who thinks outside the box.
While I think it was an incomplete catch, you are definitely right to question that decision, and I concur, what the HELL were they thinking? They almost had it sure, but almost doesn't cut it.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Peyton is so bad in the playoffs, so bad..

No way he is the best to ever to live though, get out of here.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

TSonn wrote: Going off what Mike Carey was saying it sounded like a punt returner needed to establish possession in order for the ball to not be a fumble. Carey also said that the returner needed to make a football move in order to prove the possession. That sounds familiar.
Maybe the rules are different but I would hope that a 'football move' would be consistent regardless if it is a punt return or a catch.
In this case, the football move was touching the ball and getting slammed to the ground by the defense while taking no steps apparently.

Edit: it may not mean much because of the hatred that Skip Bayless gets but he tweeted about this inconsistency, too.
The whole football move thing is muddying up a simple truth in the Bryant case, the league has already stated, the ball touching the ground was to soon after the ball was caught to be considered in his possession, therefore it is an incomplete pass because the ball hit the ground before the process of the catch was completed.

I don't recall the Colts returned play, but I'm sure there wasn't any possibility it being an incomplete pass :lol: meaning that the same rules wouldn't be exactly applicable. My memories kind of fuzzy but I remember thinking that was the right call, I'll have to catch the rewind.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

The thing about the Dez no catch though, is it's not clear the ball actually hit the ground. And if that's the case, it's a TD because he caught it in the EZ after it popped up, and he never went OB. And no you can't just assume it hit the ground because the ball was resting on his forearm and he had control at the time. Play on the field should have stood based on inconclusive evidence, if not changed to a TD. More of that Packers home field cooking.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Reignman wrote:The thing about the Dez no catch though, is it's not clear the ball actually hit the ground. And if that's the case, it's a TD because he caught it in the EZ after it popped up, and he never went OB. And no you can't just assume it hit the ground because the ball was resting on his forearm and he had control at the time. Play on the field should have stood based on inconclusive evidence, if not changed to a TD. More of that Packers home field cooking.
LOL. No, sorry. You are wrong. But that's ok. Hopefully this discussion goes away sometime soon.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I don't know how many are following this thread....but another thing from the late game that finally caught my attention:

Why does the NFL give teams who are in a goal to go situation an automatic first down on defensive holding? There is no possible way for the offensive team to earn a 1st down in that situation yet they can be given a whole new set of downs when it seems more fair to go half the distance and replay the down.

Same with PI down there.

Just seems out of whack.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Purpnation wrote:
The whole football move thing is muddying up a simple truth in the Bryant case, the league has already stated, the ball touching the ground was to soon after the ball was caught to be considered in his possession, therefore it is an incomplete pass because the ball hit the ground before the process of the catch was completed.

I don't recall the Colts returned play, but I'm sure there wasn't any possibility it being an incomplete pass :lol: meaning that the same rules wouldn't be exactly applicable. My memories kind of fuzzy but I remember thinking that was the right call, I'll have to catch the rewind.
Haha yeah I get that the punt return can't be an incomplete pass. I understand that the league is saying that Bryant didn't complete the catch. I guess the issue is:

- The punt returner (Cribbs) had to make a football move in order for the play to not be a fumble. The play was ruled a fumble, went to replay, and determined no fumble, therefore he made a football move.
- Bryant had to make a football move in order for the play to not be incomplete. The play was ruled a catch, went to replay, and determined no catch and no football move was made.

The problem is that Cribbs made way less of a football move than Bryant did. Cribbs barely touched it and got hit to the ground while the ball was constantly moving. Cribbs wasn't even able to take one step. Bryant was able to take multiple steps and switch the football into his other arm. So this difference in definition of a 'football move' is inconsistent and a problem.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Reignman wrote:The thing about the Dez no catch though, is it's not clear the ball actually hit the ground. And if that's the case, it's a TD because he caught it in the EZ after it popped up, and he never went OB. And no you can't just assume it hit the ground because the ball was resting on his forearm and he had control at the time. Play on the field should have stood based on inconclusive evidence, if not changed to a TD. More of that Packers home field cooking.
Bruh, I watched it on replay a million times, the ball very clearly hit the ground.. Clearly. I advise you to rewatch.

It wasn't resting on his forearm, it hit the ground and bounced. It wasn't a TD after he caught it because it hit the ground before he completed the catch, therefore play was over.