The Browns

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

The Browns

Post by dead_poet »

You gotta feel for them. I mean, dang. Where to even begin?

- The organization cleaned house/fired a bunch of people after ONE SEASON
- Their owner was indited on federal charges of fraud and ended up paying a $92 million settlement
- They missed the playoffs again
- They're reportedly going to look at potentially trading or outright releasing the 2013 NFL leading receiver in his prime (knucklehead though he may be)
- They spent a first-rounder on a guy that was eventually benched (Gilbert) (addendum: the Vikings were guilty of this one with Patterson this season).
- They spent a first-rounder on Manziel (I'll eat a bit of crow now with Manziel looking completely lost as an NFL QB thus far)
- They missed the playoffs again and have absolutely no idea who they are going to start at QB in 2015 (AGAIN). I really can't fathom this one. There are now reports they may trade for Kirk Cousins. Jim, I know we've been critical (rightly so) of the Vikings' handling of the QB situation over the last few years but you have to admit at least they're not the Browns. Though there are some similarities between the Browns 2014 QB carousel and the 2013 Vikings, which is never good company to be in.

That poor fan base. I feel sorry for them. That's pretty meaningful and dire when coming from a Vikings fan.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: The Browns

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:You gotta feel for them. I mean, dang. Where to even begin?

- The organization cleaned house/fired a bunch of people after ONE SEASON
- Their owner was indited on federal charges of fraud and ended up paying a $92 million settlement
- They missed the playoffs again
- They're reportedly going to look at potentially trading or outright releasing the 2013 NFL leading receiver in his prime (knucklehead though he may be)
- They spent a first-rounder on a guy that was eventually benched (Gilbert) (addendum: the Vikings were guilty of this one with Patterson this season).
- They spent a first-rounder on Manziel (I'll eat a bit of crow now with Manziel looking completely lost as an NFL QB thus far)
- They missed the playoffs again and have absolutely no idea who they are going to start at QB in 2015 (AGAIN). I really can't fathom this one. There are now reports they may trade for Kirk Cousins. Jim, I know we've been critical (rightly so) of the Vikings' handling of the QB situation over the last few years but you have to admit at least they're not the Browns. Though there are some similarities between the Browns 2014 QB carousel and the 2013 Vikings, which is never good company to be in.

That poor fan base. I feel sorry for them. That's pretty meaningful and dire when coming from a Vikings fan.
Those fans have been through hell. All of the above is just recent torment! Let's not forget their QB woes also include spending the #1 overall pick on Tim Couch in '99, the #22 pick on Brady Quinn in 2007 and the #22 pick again on Brandon Weeden in 2012. Colt McCoy is in that picture somewhere too (but wasn't a first-rounder). Plus, their team moved, took a new name and then won two Super Bowls in their new location as the Ravens.

The Browns make being a Vikings fan look like a picnic.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Those fans have been through hell. All of the above is just recent torment! Let's not forget their QB woes also include spending the #1 overall pick on Tim Couch in '99, the #22 pick on Brady Quinn in 2007 and the #22 pick again on Brandon Weeden in 2012. Colt McCoy is in that picture somewhere too (but wasn't a first-rounder). Plus, their team moved, took a new name and then won two Super Bowls in their new location as the Ravens.

The Browns make being a Vikings fan look like a picnic.

Not to mention The Drive in the late 80s (I don't remember the year, 1987?), and all of those close losses to Denver in the playoffs then too.

BUT... BUT... they have never really been close to a Super Bowl other than the year with The Drive (had they made it to the Super Bowl, they would have won, IMO). The Vikings have been to more Conference Championship games in the last five years (one) than Cleveland has in the last almost 30 years.
I wish they still played in Municipal Stadium. That place was epic. IMO, they would have a better home record if they played there now rather than their current stadium. But I know they had to build the bnew place to get the Browns back.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

That's why owners should hire football people; and then go upstairs; and have some premium scotch
,or whatever they choose to do.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!