Manziel's NFL debut

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Manziel's NFL debut

Post by Texas Vike »

Preface: I wanted Manziel for the Vikings. I was among those that thought his high potential reward was worth the obvious risk that his style of play entailed.

Now, having seen Teddy's game in the NFL and just starting to get a glimpse of Manziel's, I'm glad we ended up with Teddy. Teddy's game just looks more suitable for success in the NFL. As critics pointed out leading up to the draft, the speed of the D seems to be negating Johnny's running threat, and he hasn't been able to do much with his arm yet. His timing is off. He's been late with several throws (which led to the pick by Kirkpatrick). It's early, but my gut now tells me that Teddy will have a better shot at having a productive pro career. I think I was wrong leading up to the draft.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Manziel's NFL debut

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Preface: I wanted Manziel for the Vikings. I was among those that thought his high potential reward was worth the obvious risk that his style of play entailed.
Opposite for me.

Rough start, but he should settle. Just needs to find a groove. So far the speed of the game is too fast for him though.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

ouch

int #2, would be 3 if not for a penalty. Rough start is right.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pretty ugly so far. Some real bad decisions. He's rookie, so yeah...One thing is clear though, that comparatively, Teddy came in with much more composure when it comes to making decisions under pressure.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

it's only one game, but Manziel has been awful. His accuracy is really poor in this game. I'm not going to lie, I've enjoyed watching him get a good slice of humble pie.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

saint33 wrote:it's only one game, but Manziel has been awful. His accuracy is really poor in this game. I'm not going to lie, I've enjoyed watching him get a good slice of humble pie.

That's my take too. I don't see any good signs. It is just one game, but you'd like to at least see a few flashes of promise if you're a Browns fan. I don't see reason for optimism. He's late on just about every throw. He looks slow in general and his talent which was obvious and dominant at the collegiate level is no longer evident.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

His ego has gotten so huge, and his play has suffered. I didn't want JFB anywhere near the Vikings. Just like I don't want this year's Heisman's Trophy winner as our first, or second pick. Although I think Mariota is going to be a better QB the JFB. Its kinda funny, the same people that last year wanted JFB more, talk about Mariota this year. Wilson is about the only read option QB that's really good.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Great college QB, average NFL QB.
Just like Mariota and Winston are going to be!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote:Great college QB, average NFL QB.
Just like Mariota and Winston are going to be!
Not sure if Winston falls in place with those other 2. Except being immature like JFB.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

never wanted him .. he seemed such a D bag to me as a person ... didn't even consider him for the Vikings ..
wish the cowgirls had him and we had some of their OL
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Wild Bill
Transition Player

Post by Wild Bill »

I have been rooting against him partly because of all the hype which is not all his fault. The finger rubbing at the draft ticked me off as did the "hidden finger " at the Washington game. I have been calling him Johnny BENCH all year. LATE throws got him in trouble this week and will cost him if he keeps doing it. I want him to struggle this year after that hes just another QB unless he does either real bad or real well.
Wild Bill
"Sometimes We Live No Particular Way But Our Own"...Hunter,Garcia
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This crow I'm eating is delicious.

Johnny Manziel - QB - Browns

Citing nearly 20 Browns sources, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler and Pat McManamon report Johnny Manziel exhibited a "year-long pattern" of lacking commitment and preparation to football and a "continued commitment to nightlife" during his rookie year.

One player called Manziel a "100 percent joke." Team security reportedly found Manziel "drunk off his a--" the morning before the Browns' season finale. He was fined for missing a treatment for his injured hamstring and spent the Week 17 loss to Baltimore in Cleveland's locker room. During his first NFL start, "Several sources said Manziel either didn't know the plays in the huddle or didn't call them correctly." Sources also told Fowler and McManamon that since-departed OC Kyle Shanahan preferred Jimmy Garoppolo and Tom Savage to Manziel as a 2014 draft prospect. Fowler and McManamon claim Manziel still has some "support in the (Browns') building," though it's mostly "on the business side."
Source: ESPN.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Man, so glad the Vikes dodged on this guy. I was big on Carr but was leaning toward Manziel on draft day. What a mess in Cleveland.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I live in Louisville, KY and will admit my bias. Never wanted Manziel. I knew the kind of person Teddy is. I'm not a good enough analyst to know if a guy's college game will translate to the pros, but I knew if he failed it wouldn't be for lack of effort or leadership problems.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Lol. Never wanted Manziel at all. I feel for Browns fans, but not the organization. They knew what they were getting.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.