Harvin traded to Jets

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Harvin traded to Jets

Post by DK Sweets »

This thread is everything that, depending on my mood, either amuses or frustrates me about certain posters. Spielman allowed Percy to reach optimum value while we had no WR threats, fleeced Seattle, and now it was still, somehow, a bad move. I would love to know how he could have played his hand better. Obviously, somebody here will have that answer. Even when things work out, our GM doesn't know anything...

Could we for once just be happy with a job well done?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Boon wrote: You cant play both sides in one point dude lol
Allow me to translate.

Harvin-bad
Harvin fans-bad
Ponder-bad
Childress-bad
Frazier-bad
Spielman-bad
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Crax wrote:I guess he punched Tate last year? I never heard that before today. Lots of stuff that makes it sound like he was just too big of a headache for seattle
http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/analys ... in-to-jets
The Jets just dumped gasoline all over poor Geno Smith.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Vette3434
Backup

Post by Vette3434 »

Last I heard Rex Ryan was spotted driving a black Escalade down I-90 to pick up Percy from the airport.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Waiting to hear how Ponder was/is somehow blamed for Seattle dumping him :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Ricky looks pretty dam smart right now :wink: What a POS :shock:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -they-did/
Last edited by Purple bruise on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Maybe the Vikes could trade AD to them too. We all know that AD loves him some Harvin :wink:
What a tool and to think about all of the "wannabe" armchair GM's that griped about the Vikes trading him.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... d-in-trade

Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Allow me to translate.

Harvin-bad
Harvin fans-bad
Ponder-bad
Childress-bad
Frazier-bad
Spielman-bad
Sums it up. Two got fired. One lost his job and is a #3. The other just got traded again despite being an unstoppable weapon of mass yardage.

The other currently running a franchise into the ground, and possibly help cost a third head coach their job.
As the quote above says, they bought high and sold higher. You don't see how that's a net positive for the organization, especially under those circumstances?
Obviously it's a net positive, my question is why it seems like someone is getting patted on the back for trading someone that refused to play for the team. This wasn't some brilliant move that came out of left field and worked out in the end. Harvin refused to stay, his value was higher at any point before he demanded a new contract or a trade...but the front office hung onto him until it was clear he was never playing for the Vikings again, and got what they could. Which was more than they spent, but likely less than they could have if they had moved him before he because the even bigger headache he was in the final months leading up to the trade.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:Obviously it's a net positive, my question is why it seems like someone is getting patted on the back for trading someone that refused to play for the team.
It's the wrong question because that's not why he's being patted on the back. He's being patted on the back for the compensation, the net positive, not simply for trading Harvin.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

IDC. I am still a Harvin fan. The guy is an explosive player. I think he will work out well in New York. There will obviously be an adjustment period, but I fully expect him to return to form.

It sounds as though Harvin has something wrong mentally. He almost sounds like Brandon Marshall in that he displays signs of Borderline personality. He could just be overly aggressive. I think it might be time for someone to intervene and help get him to a psychologist.

At the end of the day, I am glad we have Cordarrelle Patterson, but Harvin was a force. He still hasn't fully reached his potential. I wish him well and hope he gets some help.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:IDC. I am still a Harvin fan. The guy is an explosive player. I think he will work out well in New York. There will obviously be an adjustment period, but I fully expect him to return to form.

It sounds as though Harvin has something wrong mentally. He almost sounds like Brandon Marshall in that he displays signs of Borderline personality. He could just be overly aggressive. I think it might be time for someone to intervene and help get him to a psychologist.

At the end of the day, I am glad we have Cordarrelle Patterson, but Harvin was a force. He still hasn't fully reached his potential. I wish him well and hope he gets some help.
Yeah we have Rhodes and Mckinnon from that trade, both of who are starters with great upside.
However do you imagine that #### Harvin will get along with Rex. :?

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: It's the wrong question because that's not why he's being patted on the back. He's being patted on the back for the compensation, the net positive, not simply for trading Harvin.
How about turning that trade into Rhodes and Mckinnon.

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Kind of sad, I was one of the few who liked PH (think about it, who wouldn't want to throw something at Childress) but think Rick did a good job of unloading him. Sounds like PH has permanent roid rage. How in the heck can the Jets afford him?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote:Noooo! Harvin is an amazing non-injury prone player who should never have been traded in the first place and the locker room stuff is just the media making things up as usual! Right? Where are those people? :confused:
I'll take my lumps as I consider myself "one of those people" you are referring to, although in my defense A) Percy was (and is) a great talent and a productive player when he's on the field and B) the media has been known to embellish stories at times. Obviously, as more data points become available, the evidence shifts, and in this case, it appears to have shifted entirely in your favor. That still doesn't mean it's fitting to condemn someone without knowing the entire story, which, when Percy was traded to the Seahawks, wasn't available to any of us beyond those media accounts. It is equally important to note that many of Harvin's teammates on the Vikings at the time were very supportive of him.
Demi wrote: Player demanding to be traded because of the worthless QB you drafted and the coaches and you trade him = Feather in cap? Psssffhhhhhh. No wonder so many people seem fine with Spielman.
Spielman gets credit for maximizing the value of a player everyone apparently knew wanted out and who would come available in FA the following year IIRC. Harvin was taken with a 1st, and in trade Spielman got a 1st, 3rd, and a 7th IIRC. That's not a bad ROI for a problematic player IMHO.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

We got the better end of this deal for dure but we need
to fix our OL before we do anything not to mention Peterson
might never play in the league again ... If he does a few years
..what 34-35 when he comes out or close ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!