Hussain Abdullah

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Hussain Abdullah

Post by The Breeze »

Guy gets a pick six on Brady...stops in the endzone, sets the ball down and goes to his knees in Moslem fashion and gets a unsportsmanlike penalty. Too funny.

He played a great game tonight...wish he was still in Purple.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Hussain Abdullah

Post by fiestavike »

The Breeze wrote:Guy gets a pick six on Brady...stops in the endzone, sets the ball down and goes to his knees in Moslem fashion and gets a unsportsmanlike penalty. Too funny.

He played a great game tonight...wish he was still in Purple.
He played well. I didn't even think it was a planned out reaction to scoring, just a spontaneous reaction. I guess its a penalty if you go to your knees at all after scoring? I'm not sure why that is where they draw a line...kinda weird. And I'm against celebrations and his reaction to scoring didn't bother me at all.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

fiestavike wrote:
He played well. I didn't even think it was a planned out reaction to scoring, just a spontaneous reaction. I guess its a penalty if you go to your knees at all after scoring? I'm not sure why that is where they draw a line...kinda weird. And I'm against celebrations and his reaction to scoring didn't bother me at all.
Yeah, that's what struck me as funny. He seemed genuinely reverent to have found the endzone....and a pick 6 off Brady to boot. So many rules in the NFL these days :confused:
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

So, clearly it was an officiating gaff:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11616 ... elebration
Husain Abdullah should not have received a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty after dropping to his knees and bowing in prayer following a 39-yard interception return for a touchdown during the Kansas City Chiefs' 41-14 victory over the New England Patriots on Monday night, the NFL said Tuesday.

According to Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1 (d), "Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations or demonstrations while on the ground."

Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah is a devout Muslim who said if he ever scored a touchdown he was "going to prostrate before God in the end zone."

"However, the officiating mechanic in this situation is not to flag a player who goes to the ground as part of religious expression, and as a result, there should have been no penalty on the play," NFL spokesman Michael Signora said.