Folks need to realize the Pack is not elite anymore

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Xqed
Franchise Player

Re: Folks need to realize the Pack is not elite anymore

Post by Xqed »

Their defense is just so inconsistent. And they just can't keep everyone healthy.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Xqed wrote:Their defense is just so inconsistent. And they just can't keep everyone healthy.
You are right and an injury to "double check" and their season is gone.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Problems with the team

1. It all rides on Aaron Rodgers. They go straight down the toilet without him.
2. They have awful strength and conditioning coaching and lose many players to injuries
3. Their defense has been putrid against the runs for years (for instance, last year they gave up 2000 yards rushing!)
They were 17th in the league in 2012 against the run, 14th in 2011, 18th in 2010)
4. Medicore return teams, a bad punter and a worse kicker.
5. Undersized on Defense.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

... and yet with all these flaws and issues, they've won 55 games and a Super Bowl in the past 5 years and they've also won the last 3 division titles.

I agree with GBFavreFan that they're not the same team that won the Super Bowl or went 15-1 the following year, and they may not even be an elite team anymore (they certainly didn't play like one last night) but they're still the team to beat in the NFC North until someone else steps up and actually wins the division again.

I see no reason to fear the Packers. They're beatable. However, they have to be respected as an opponent, especially with Rodgers.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote:... and yet with all these flaws and issues, they've won 55 games and a Super Bowl in the past 5 years and they've also won the last 3 division titles.

I agree with GBFavreFan that they're not the same team that won the Super Bowl or went 15-1 the following year, and they may not even be an elite team anymore (they certainly didn't play like one last night) but they're still the team to beat in the NFC North until someone else steps up and actually wins the division again.

I see no reason to fear the Packers. They're beatable. However, they have to be respected as an opponent, especially with Rodgers.
<<<<WARNING!!! TROLLING/BAITING POST FOLLOWS!!!>>>>

I say we hedge our bets. Let's give the starting job to the last Viking QB who actually beat the Packers... :gone:

:hitfan:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Mothman wrote:... and yet with all these flaws and issues, they've won 55 games and a Super Bowl in the past 5 years and they've also won the last 3 division titles.

Agree with this 100%.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Rodgers makes GB the only thing scary. The last few years have proven that a gritty defense can stop teams like New Orleans and Green Bay.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote:While you seem to get my point, you also confuse me by referencing they won 55 games and a SB in five years.

Sorry, that line was a response to Hunter's list of problems in the post directly before mine. Those were the "flaws and issues' I was referring to but I didn't specify that in my post. I thought it would be clear within the flow of the thread but I should have just quoted him.
I do like that you've pointed out you do not fear the Packers, but I never said they shouldn't be respected as an opponent or a team.
I realize that. My comments were directed at the overall subject, not meant as a rebuttal to your post.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

This is not news to some of us. The Packers have Rodgers, Nelson and now Lacy. Take out Rodgers and at best they are an 8-8 team.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Been saying this.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Problems with the team

1. It all rides on Aaron Rodgers. They go straight down the toilet without him.
2. They have awful strength and conditioning coaching and lose many players to injuries
3. Their defense has been putrid against the runs for years (for instance, last year they gave up 2000 yards rushing!)
They were 17th in the league in 2012 against the run, 14th in 2011, 18th in 2010)
4. Medicore return teams, a bad punter and a worse kicker.
5. Undersized on Defense.
In what world is Tim Masthay a bad punter, Randall Cobb a bad return man, or Mason Crosby a bad kicker? I would take all of them, except maybe Crosby, but that is only because we have one of the few kickers better then him. :) It sounds like you need to do your homework.

In any event, Rodgers alone is enough to give them a chance at a SB, and until he retires, we are going to have to find ways to slow him down if we want to get to the playoffs consistently.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Purple bruise wrote: You are right and an injury to "double check" and their season is gone.
You are aware they lost Rodgers for half of the season last year and still made the playoffs?

I'm seeing a whole lot of sour grapes in this thread, and honestly I don't get it, I would kill for the Vikes to have 5 straight playoff appearances, 3 straight Division titles, and a SB win all in the last 5 years. Downplaying their success in attempt to make ourselves feel better isn't a road I'd want to go down.

We can beat GB, and we will soon enough. But lets not pretend they have been anything other then most successful organization in the league throughout the last 5 years. (Along with the Patriots of course.)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Raptorman wrote:This is not news to some of us. The Packers have Rodgers, Nelson and now Lacy. Take out Rodgers and at best they are an 8-8 team.
We should go ahead and do that.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: We should go ahead and do that.
:rofl:
broheim
Practice Squad

Post by broheim »

In a season where nobody looks elite, the Packers sure have looked good enough lately.