Anybody See A Ton of Hands To Face Penalties?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Anybody See A Ton of Hands To Face Penalties?

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I just watched the Packers/Rams games and there were about 6 of them. Mostly on the offensive line but even some defensive linemen and secondary people.
I remember this as being a fairly uncommon penalty and even the announcers were talking about a quote unquote crackdown.
Will this be the chic penalty this season that refs hand out to show they are "tough" and "by the book?"

My worst nightmare is this will be supplementary to Roughing the Star Quarterback and Phantom Holding calls in the Red Zone to hose the Vikings.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Anybody See A Ton of Hands To Face Penalties?

Post by Funkytown »

Yes, they commented about that during the Bears game, too, I think. A lot of penalties in general, though. Holy crap.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

They're making it a point of emphasis, along with illegal contact.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

How about that roughing the passer penalty against the Cardinals near the very end of the game? I think one, maybe two guys hit Bridgewater, but they didn't hit him in the head and didn't even knock him off his feet.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote:How about that roughing the passer penalty against the Cardinals near the very end of the game? I think one, maybe two guys hit Bridgewater, but they didn't hit him in the head and didn't even knock him off his feet.
I'm not sure if it's the same one but there was a penalty near the end of the game on a defender due to helmet to helmet on BW. They call it even if he doesn't get knocked down.

I think the big one is illegal contact, I've already seen a lot of calls and because it's an automatic 1st down, it kept a lot of drives going that would have otherwise been killed (only a 5 yard penalty). A lot of the times the illegal contact isn't even near where the ball is thrown. I have a feeling we're going to see substantially higher scores this year due to the rule enforcements.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Yeah lots of people talking about all the penalties this year. Crazy how they're so concerned about the flow and lengths of games and then they go and focus on penalties. Games are going to be 4 hours long and agonizing at this rate. They also opened the door for officials to decide more games with late ticky-tack if not BS calls. I was watching the Eagles Patriots game the other night and they had 4 consecutive plays with penalties near the end of the 3rd quarter. Ridiculous. And the Cardinals final drive against us was the worst. False start, then phantom roughing the passer, then phantom PI, and finally the holy roller is allowed to stand due to some loophole in the rule xD. All 50 yards of that drive were due to poor officiating, and it was nearly game deciding.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I don't think the game should have so many penalties that are 5 yards but automatic first downs.
You wanna first down? Get 10 yards, bums.