Hard Knocks Season 9 - Atlanta Falcons

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Hard Knocks Season 9 - Atlanta Falcons

Post by Eli »

And guess who's back as offensive line coach of the Dirty Birds? :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Hard Knocks Season 9 - Atlanta Falcons

Post by Mothman »

... and that's funny because...? :confused:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

They're lucky to have him. I think he's a hell of an offensive line coach.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I hadn't realized that the old meathead was back at work. I laughed like hell when I saw him coaching again in Atlanta and on TV. And he doesn't disappoint. His pot belly has gotten bigger, but he's basically the same guy who never should have risen above OL coach. Jake Matthews is going to make him look good.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

*yaaawn*
Only interesting part of that team. :(
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Demi wrote:Only interesting part of that team.
Nah. Lots of interesting story lines, as with any NFL team when you have 90 guys competing for 53 roster spots and an organization hungry for a championship. All the usual dramas - some off the field, but most of them on it. I think it would actually be impossible to follow any NFL team through training camp and have it NOT be interesting.

A 13-3 team two years ago and a few points from going to the Super Bowl falls to 3-13 last year. What do they change to get back where they were? CAN they get back? Whatever it is, it will start in training camp. The coach's emphasis in the first episode was clearly on getting tougher, especially on the OL and DL. And with new line coaches on both sides of the ball, that's a story in itself.

Julio Jones and Roddy White. Arguably the best WR tandem in the NFL, both coming back from injuries.

Devin Hester, signed at PR and KR and maybe WR. (He fumbled his his first punt in the game tonight.) Does he have anything left?

Stephen Jackson. They (Hard Knocks) seem to be building him up as a veteran leader. He made at least one speech to a group of players and gave one rookie RB some one-on-one advice. For some reason it looked a little staged, though. Maybe just because Jackson is such an inarticulate speaker. I'm wondering if Jackson may not even make the team.

First round OT Jake Matthews is already getting rave reviews.

How will the other rookie draft picks pan out? That's always a major story line in every training camp. Second round pick Ra'Shede Hagemen, from Minnesota, appears to be struggling a little. Fifth round LB Marquis Spruill has already sustained a season-ending knee injury.

Mike Nolan as Defensive Coordinator, who I have to admit is the only coach on the entire team that I think much of. So far.

Mike Tice, if only for the entertainment value. He comes off exactly as he did in Minnesota - as an incredibly dumb ex-jock. Sometimes it's clearly a role he enjoys playing to mess with people. Because nobody can be THAT dumb.

Owner Arthur Blank. Is he another aging professional sports team owner who is becoming a little senile? Kinda looks like it...
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Thanks for all that, Eli. You seem invested. :D
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Cliff wrote:They're lucky to have him. I think he's a hell of an offensive line coach.
I think so too. I'm a big fan of Tice. Great personality, great coach. He probably is best suited as an O-line coach though. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Hard Knocks is a great show. Makes me actually miss that daily camp grind.