Jimmy Garoppolo

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Dirtyswabby
Starter

Jimmy Garoppolo

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Not looking good for him, apparently he has been a train wreck in camp.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... notes.html
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Jimmy Garoppolo

Post by jackal »

Most teams don't replace players like Brady easily...

SF and GB got lucky with Rodgers and Young ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The Patriots obviously weren't very confident in Ryan Mallett when they drafted Garoppolo in the second round. They may have also been thinking of his trade value this year and grabbed Garoppolo as a contingency plan should Mallet be traded.

You can be sure that they're rethinking Mallett's future right about now.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Honestly I was one of the guys that liked Jimmy. I thought that compact throw was awesome, but it seems he was missing allot of the package, he could turn into something in the future, but this has been a ongoing thing for him in camp. :confused:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Lol at all of the analysts saying he should come to Minnesota and would be ready to play this year. Let's face it: he is coming from a small school who faced inferior competition. I am not surprised at all he is struggling. This is not to say Garoppolo cannot be developed, but there is no way he will be even close to playing this season.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The only thing I came away with from this article is I wish the beat writer's up in Minnesota would be this detailed on their training camp notes.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Lol at all of the analysts saying he should come to Minnesota and would be ready to play this year. Let's face it: he is coming from a small school who faced inferior competition. I am not surprised at all he is struggling. This is not to say Garoppolo cannot be developed, but there is no way he will be even close to playing this season.
He was a project from the start and I'm sure the Patriots understood that.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: He was a project from the start and I'm sure the Patriots understood that.
Well, yes, New England understands that - that is why they drafted him. However, while there wasn't a huge crowd shouting it, there were plenty of observers pre-draft who were big Garoppolo supporters. It was fairly apparent however that Garoppolo was going to need time in the NFL.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jimmy G looked good tonight, has great touch and a quick release. He should have had another TD on a great teardrop throw but the receiver couldn't come down with it. Mallett on the other hand, really looked bad. The Patriots as a whole played really sloppy but his short and intermediate throws were way off and he's really unathletic (almost hurt himself on a routine slide). If they were trying to drum up a trade, his performance tonight certainly didn't help that cause.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

S197 wrote:Jimmy G looked good tonight, has great touch and a quick release. He should have had another TD on a great teardrop throw but the receiver couldn't come down with it. Mallett on the other hand, really looked bad. The Patriots as a whole played really sloppy but his short and intermediate throws were way off and he's really unathletic (almost hurt himself on a routine slide). If they were trying to drum up a trade, his performance tonight certainly didn't help that cause.

I did watch the game tonight, and he did look sharp, maybe he is the type that plays better under the lights? :confused: That 28 yard TD pass was about as good as it gets.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Dirtyswabby wrote:
I did watch the game tonight, and he did look sharp, maybe he is the type that plays better under the lights? :confused: That 28 yard TD pass was about as good as it gets.
Announcers were saying he didn't get many reps in practice so maybe he just needed a few more throws to showcase himself. It's still really early of course but I thought he looked good for his first outing.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Well, yes, New England understands that - that is why they drafted him. However, while there wasn't a huge crowd shouting it, there were plenty of observers pre-draft who were big Garoppolo supporters. It was fairly apparent however that Garoppolo was going to need time in the NFL.
I agree with you. I think those who thought otherwise were getting too caught up in pre-draft hype and kidding themselves.
Last edited by Mothman on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Mothman wrote:I agree with you. I think those who thought otherwise were getting too caught up in pre-draft hype and kidding themselves.
Careful now, your declaration is sounding pretty certain there, and some scoff at that type of speculative certainty around here. Oh wait.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh