Inside Slant: Officiating quietly changes

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Inside Slant: Officiating quietly changes

Post by dead_poet »

I probably don't have to tell you about the state of public discontent with NFL officiating by the end of the 2013 season. A series of rule misapplications and high-profile missed calls, taken together, begged for a rigorous offseason review from the league office.

So as teams return to the field for spring practices, it's worth noting a number of quiet and incremental changes that have taken place over the past few months.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ly-changes
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Inside Slant: Officiating quietly changes

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Well, at least something is happening. I still think it is BS that their jobs are so secretive... and that they don't get disciplined. The Baltimore game was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen, and all the NFL did was say "oops, sowwy".
What they need to do is add one official per crew on the field so that more of the field can be covered. There are not enough eyes to see all the stuff that goes on all the time.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Well Morelli, Hochuli, and Triplette all still have jobs, so they haven't made enough changes yet IMO xD. The new "centralized replay system" sounds promising though. Too late to get Gerharts fumble in the Baltimore game reviewed by a pair of eyes that actually work, but hey, better late than never.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Reignman wrote:Well Morelli, Hochuli, and Triplette all still have jobs, so they haven't made enough changes yet IMO xD. The new "centralized replay system" sounds promising though. Too late to get Gerharts fumble in the Baltimore game reviewed by a pair of eyes that actually work, but hey, better late than never.
I don't mind Hochuli, but the others suck. I like Walt Anderson and Mike Carey.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Every year we get hosed down like protestors by officiating with connections to franchises the league wants to push and all we get are "official apologies." The San Fran 5 timeout fiasco, the Ravens game, every damn GB game, Saints bountyhunting.

Hopefully the new stadium gets some heat off us because this franchise has been apologized yearly for about a decade and man, it has gotten tired.