Lions setting up for an aggressive defense

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Lions setting up for an aggressive defense

Post by Mothman »

I thought this was an interesting read about the Lions defense:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ve-defense
Eli
Hall of Famer

Lions enjoying Jim Caldwell’s approach to the job

Post by Eli »

Just as interesting is this one. The Lions seem to be on the same merry-go-round as the Vikings in finding the right head coach. Do you want the animated motivator? Or the calm, collected guy? I guess when one doesn't work, you swing to the other end of the spectrum.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-the-job/
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Lions setting up for an aggressive defense

Post by The Breeze »

That was an interesting article on Caldwell.

My take on coaching personalities is that there needs to be a strict adherence to discipline across the board. The guy can be firey and demonstrative but with the ability to contain it. Schwartz, obviously lacked an element there and it was reclected in his teams demeanor IMO.
And if a coach is too complacent in cranking up the discipline\accountability players seem to lose an edge.

Players are ultimately accountable to be motivated and disciplined but the HC sets the tone for the culture.

Zimmer, from what I'm reading, appears to have a nice tempo going and the players are responding. How he and they handle the adversity of the regular season, a few losses, will be interesting.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Lions enjoying Jim Caldwell’s approach to the job

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Just as interesting is this one. The Lions seem to be on the same merry-go-round as the Vikings in finding the right head coach. Do you want the animated motivator? Or the calm, collected guy? I guess when one doesn't work, you swing to the other end of the spectrum.
That's often the way it works.

Thanks for the link. I like this comment from Caldwell:
“One of the things I’m sure they’re referring to that I mentioned is we treat them like men because of the fact that we anticipate that they’ll bear responsibility and accountability,” Caldwell said, via the Detroit News. “It doesn’t take me standing out there in the middle of the field screaming and yelling, acting like it’s all about me. It’s about them and what they do, and we put the onus on them.”
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Wow really. Ok. Be interested to see this guys press conferences.
Four years at most, and they'll be looking for a coach again. What a stupid hire by a stupid organization.

And it seems like the only time you see articles like this, it's followed by a complete meltdown on that unit. How often do you read an article "Team X plans on running a passive defense".
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I suppose it wouldn't be the offseason if there wasn't one, "the Lions are turning it around this year, no really!" Eventually someone will get it right, broken clock and all those analogies....