Senators Urge N.F.L. to Act on Redskins' name

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Senators Urge N.F.L. to Act on Redskins' name

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote:
Maybe they will if outside pressure keeps mounting.

Thanks for the book recommendation (I've added it to my "to read" list) and for the insights drawn from your experiences on and near reservations. I wish I had such experiences to draw upon and provide perspective but hear from someone who does is the next best thing. :)

:beerchug:
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

well if the "redskins" name offends people...which it doesn't imo....its just a ploy to prove a point. then they also have to change this name.
[img] https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... _n.png[img]
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - U.S. Attorney general Eric Holder calls Redskins' nickname offensive, says it should be changed
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shut ... .tsrc=bell

U Of M seeks to ban redskins name when they come to town.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I am quite frankly getting sick and tired of the NFL becoming a political organization. Politics is beginning to creep into the NFL from the "Pink October" to the Redskins logo to the new call for punishments to be put in the bargaining agreement for domestic violence. It is all politically motivated forcing the NFL to begin to comply with some political agenda. The political establishment is reaching into all our lives and is smothering us in an effort to control how we act, think and live. It's worming it's way into the game I love and I am tired of it. There is nothing I can do about it, but I am tired of it. I fear the day when I start to lose interest in this game because of it. What nonsense.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The U of M story makes me sick. The taxpayers paid for the stadium, how can they expect to do this. Are they going to decide who wins or loses without the game being played? Maybe Dayton can just flip a coin. This is all about politics.

I have a HUGE problem with he Vikings name. They were know in history to be a people who raped and savagely killed people, plundered their lands, burned villages to the ground! How dare we have them as our name. Actually I love the Vikings of course, im just using it as an example of how far some idiots could go.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Analysts Phil Simms and Tony Dungy say they likely won't use term "Redskins" during broadcasts
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Ex-NFL ref Mike Carey refused to work Redskins games due to stance on club's nickname - Washington Post
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - 58 percent of 286 NFL players polled by ESPN say the Washington Redskins don't need to change their name
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - OTL poll of 1,019 Americans: 71 percent favor keeping Redskins nickname, down from 89 percent in 1992
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

You ask somebody what the Redskins are and they will tell you its a football team. The word has lost its racist meaning, just like gay use to mean happy but now is used in a derogative way. Culture changes the name should stay.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

GBFavreFan wrote:it comes down to this. The term "redskin" is a racial slur, it always was. "Redskin" is a less than flattering term to describe a Native American, and there is NO OTHER DEFINITION OF THAT WORD. There are different connotations of the word, but the root definition does not change.

Once you understand that, this issue becomes a no-brainer, because you cannot name an international sports team with a racial slur. It doesn't matter who is offended or not, it is a racial slur. Even if it is not a commonly used slur, it still is.

The confusion comes because 99.99% of us don't think of "redskin" as a racial slur. We only think of it as the logo of the NFL team, so therefore people think it's not a slur. it doesn't matter, it's still a racial slur.

There are others that will claim that a Native hasn't been called a "redskins" in 50 years. Even if that's true, there is no statute of limitations on what a word means. The only way out would be if "redskin" actually DID mean something else, like a type of animal, a disease, or something. But it doesn't. Only one definition. Redskin connotates something different, but the definition does not. And if the definition is still that of a slur, then you have to ditch it.

And if Redskin isn't a slur, then ask yourself this. If Washington was called the Rhinos or something from the very start, and Los Angeles finally got their expansion team in 2015, and proposed calling themselves the "Redskins" with an awesome painting of a Native American as its logo, how do you think that would go over? Once you understand that it would be dismissed immediately, then you understand that you have to change it.

And all these other arguments about being offended and political correctness are irrelevant. This is a word issue, and a mistake that slipped through the cracks and is being addressed. It is different from the Chiefs or Seminoles for many reasons, but the biggest is "Chiefs" and "Seminoles" are not slurs. Could someone be offended? sure, but they have multiple definitions and it is the connotation that would be offensive with the "chief" not the word. There are still issues with those names with a lot more gray area, but this "Redskin" thing is cut and dry.
If 99.99% of people don't view it as a slur why cant we get over the fact a dictionary says it is, culture changes and so do the meaning of words.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

allday1991 wrote:You ask somebody what the Redskins are and they will tell you its a football team.

That's not a universal fact. Go ask members of a Native American community. Of course you'll get some that answer "football team" but that likely won't be the only answer you get.
The word has lost its racist meaning
Except it hasn't. Otherwise this wouldn't even be an issue.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

dead_poet wrote:

That's not a universal fact. Go ask members of a Native American community. Of course you'll get some that answer "football team" but that likely won't be the only answer you get.
Except it hasn't. Otherwise this wouldn't even be an issue.
I'm Canadian, we have a much larger Native American community than the states do, none of my native friends have a problem with the name Redskins. Some people are going to have problems with everything, prove that a vast majority of natives have a problem with it then address it. As far as I know there concerns are making sure they keep there rights and culture. The fact there was all brought up because of a comment made by an owner in a completely different sport just goes to show your this is an emotion response and will blow over.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

allday1991 wrote:I'm Canadian, we have a much larger Native American community than the states do, none of my native friends have a problem with the name Redskins.
I'm afraid you need to look outside your group of friends. That's not exactly a representative sample of the beliefs of the Native American community. As an example:

http://cips.csusb.edu/docs/PressRelease.pdf
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler/na ... ur#3tmwo0v
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly