Senators Urge N.F.L. to Act on Redskins' name

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Senators Urge N.F.L. to Act on Redskins' name

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The N word is said everyday. Its perfectly acceptable. Well at least for one race to say. Which is, by definition, racism.

It doesn't matter what you or I find offensive. Its whats politically correct. We cant even hand the USA at our homes now because it 'racist' to some Muslims. Or advertise the selling of bacon. Im sick of it. The Redskin name is not offensive anymore the Chief. Depends who you talk to.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:The N word is said everyday. Its perfectly acceptable...
...where I stopped reading. :lol:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Funkytown wrote: ...where I stopped reading. :lol:
Why? Do you listen to rap or even hip hop? Or anything? The word disgusts me, as does the N word with an a at the end.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Why? Do you listen to rap or even hip hop? Or anything? The word disgusts me, as does the N word with an a at the end.
It is rather annoying and obnoxious. I agree. I prefer edited rap/hip hop because of that exact thing.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Ah sorry Ms. Funk, misunderstood your comment.

Its also extremely degrading to women.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Ah sorry Ms. Funk, misunderstood your comment.

Its also extremely degrading to women.
Yeah, I was just picking on you. And yes, rap is all bs, hos, ns, drugs, etc. Must take some serious talent to write those lyrics lol
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

My thoughts, the meaning behind any word can be hateful or offensive. Calling someone a "tool" is derogatory but the word "tool" its self is not. Most words fall into this category.

Several words with racists overtones are just poor taste, offensive or not. However poor taste isn't much of a problem considering all the others in football. Players beating the crap out of their spouses, gang affiliation, murder and whatnot... Yeah lets care about the stupid name.

Sigh, anyhow it should be majority rule, period.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:The term Redskin is not even used to describe the physical color of the peoples skin, it was in reference to red paint some Indian tribes used as body paint, about sick of everyone's over sensitivity on the issue. :wallbang: :wallbang:
No. A "Redskin" means the scalped head of a Native American, sold, like a pelt, for cash.
Spencer Phips, a British politician and then Lieutenant Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Province, issued the call, ordering on behalf of British King George II for, “His Majesty’s subjects to Embrace all opportunities of pursuing, captivating, killing and Destroying all and every of the aforesaid Indians.” They paid well – 50 pounds for adult male scalps; 25 for adult female scalps; and 20 for scalps of boys and girls under age 12.

These bloody scalps were known as “redskins.”
Defenders of the team nickname say its origin was totally benign, and that it’s not possible to know the true meaning of the word. Those defenders cite a Smithsonian article that traces an origin to skin color, before the systematic scalping. (A later Smithsonian quote disputed it.)

But my mother knew what it meant, or what it came to mean, and so do many other Native Americans.

“That’s a hard lesson for a young girl to learn,” my mother says. I can’t remember when she passed it down to her four sons, only that the very mention of that word—the single-most offensive name one could ever call a Native American—has always made my blood boil.
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/true-redskins-meaning
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote: No. A "Redskin" means the scalped head of a Native American, sold, like a pelt, for cash.
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/true-redskins-meaning
To a select few. I am betting I can personally find more that think its nothing other then the name of a football team. PC often blinds people. There was a time when the N word was the single most offensive name one could ever call an African American. Now you can hear it a million times and doesn't seem to bother anyone.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: To a select few. I am betting I can personally find more that think its nothing other then the name of a football team. PC often blinds people. There was a time when the N word was the single most offensive name one could ever call an African American. Now you can hear it a million times and doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Yet you call it the "N-word" instead of what it is. If it's not offensive, then why not say it?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, you need to look outside your peer group. The name is offensive to a large number of Native Americans.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly