Retired Stars File Suit Alleging NFL Doped Them Up

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Retired Stars File Suit Alleging NFL Doped Them Up

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Retired Stars File Suit Alleging NFL Doped Them Up

Post by The Breeze »

I read this this morning. Disturbing indeed, but hardly surprising IMO. The NFL is a peculiar institution to say the least. One big money grubbing contradiction. I love the sport of football but I really dislike the organizations running the show, NCAA included.

Corporate smoke and mirrors~
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Each player claims to have been injected with and fed cocktails of painkillers without any warning about side effects or possible dependence...
...really? And they had no idea on their own? Would the "warnings" have made a difference? Come on, just like people didn't know repeated head trauma is bad? They needed to be told that, too, and they would have stopped?

Look, all of this stuff sucks, it really does, but to act like they didn't know what they were doing or didn't understand the risks? I don't buy it; I don't buy any of it.

With that said, it wouldn't kill the NFL to take a little better care of their players--current and retired.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I found the disturbing part to be players who had broken bones and weren't told the truth and consequently strung out on painkillers.

I also feel that the only reason the NFL has changed any of their policies regarding drugs and player safety is due to it all becoming public knowledge and threatening the bottom line....not because any of the owners give a damn about the majority of players.

Warren Sapp was spot on with all his plantation references IMO.